U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Attractive?
Yes. 68 45.64%
No. 40 26.85%
No, but I think I am. 9 6.04%
Yes, but I think I'm not. 13 8.72%
Other. 19 12.75%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 01:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 269,663 times

Advertisements

No, but I think I am. Lots of flack about my appearance comes from other people. I never saw anything wrong with how I looked until the family and other kids at school pointed me out as not looking right and being ugly. Otherwise, I'm okay with my looks and style but just about everyone else says no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 01:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 1,461,168 times
I am fairly decent looking I guess. People compliment me on my eyes all of the time and tell me I am 'beautiful'. I was better looking when younger; I looked my best in my mid-30s. I don't think that I am Medusa or anything now; I have packed on some weight and have a bit of turkey neck starting. Luckily I don't have any wrinkles outside of some light marionette lines.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:18 PM

762 posts, read 206,586 times
I think I am ok.

Overall most women seem to look their best in their 20s and 30s. Occasionally if a 40 something works hard she or he can look just as good. But the 20 somethings look good without trying it seems. I have to admit that most of the 40 somethings I know that are hot are in their early 40s and they work extremely hard at it so it almost seems desperate. Makes me wonder why looking good is so important to them.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think I am ok.

Overall most women seem to look their best in their 20s and 30s. Occasionally if a 40 something works hard she or he can look just as good. But the 20 somethings look good without trying it seems. I have to admit that most of the 40 somethings I know that are hot are in their early 40s and they work extremely hard at it so it almost seems desperate. Makes me wonder why looking good is so important to them.
Well first of all, why wouldn't it be important to a 40+ year old woman to look good? Especially if it might have been important to her before?

But to speak to why it is...
Social emphasis on a woman's value being inextricably linked to her looks. Especially if a woman is accustomed to most of her validation in the world coming from her appearance, she might feel that if she looks in a mirror and doesn't like what she is seeing, then her value as a person is decreasing as she begins to show signs of aging.

If she's got a partner, she may be trying to continue to look attractive to him or her (likely him.)

If she doesn't have a partner, and she is seeking one, she may be trying to look good to appeal to potential partners.

I turned 40 in January. I did not expect the number to make any difference to me, but I also happened to get very sick in that timeframe. Nasty flu, that had me downright incapacitated at times, and ill for about a month total. I felt wretched and definitely very un-sexy. It was not a good start to 40!

Thing is, I never used to care that much if I looked attractive or not. I have generally had an expressive sense of personal style, but it's not especially geared to "prettiness." But in the last 4 years I've had a wonderful man in my life, and for the first time ever, I care about being attractive--to him. I want him to be happy and satisfied about being with me, and I know that looks matter to him, no matter that he is older and aging and no matter what he looks like, he wants his female partner to be attractive to look at. I am told, by men, that they are "visual" and this is just how it is and what they care about.

So...*sigh*...while I am not going to start wearing makeup regularly, or uncomfortable attire or high heeled shoes...I do endeavor to take better care of my skin and hair, I've added a number of moisturizers and conditioners, lotions and potions to my repertoire. I wouldn't quite call it desperation at this point, but it's definitely on my radar.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 PM

8,459 posts, read 4,768,734 times
According to the poll, more than half the people think they are (although I don't know what "yes, but I think I'm not" means). Is that accurate; are more than half the people attractive?

Old 11-25-2019, 05:24 PM

641 posts, read 222,572 times
Yes, but I think I'm not.

I'm beautiful, but I suffer from pretty severe dysmorphophobia which is why you'll never see a pic of me.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:26 PM

8,459 posts, read 4,768,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I'm beautiful, but I suffer from pretty severe dysmorphophobia which is why you'll never see a pic of me.
That's the contradiction I don't understand. You realize and acknowledge that you're beautiful, so... How can you think BOTH that you're beautiful and that you're not?

Old 11-25-2019, 05:36 PM

641 posts, read 222,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's the contradiction I don't understand. You realize and acknowledge that you're beautiful, so... How can you think BOTH that you're beautiful and that you're not?
Because confidence comes entirely from inside your head and it's vulnerable to all kinds of chemical and hormonal imbalances that may be going on in your body.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:01 PM

11,511 posts, read 16,641,753 times
Judging by how gays heads turn every time I walk down the halls here at the hospital, I must have something in me, even being 64. Heck, catch women's glances all the time. Surely not my face, it's 64 yo old man face. Must be the worked out bulk of 6'4 1/2 muscled man with narrow waist, shaved head and killer mustache.

But no, not face.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:30 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,485,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
According to the poll, more than half the people think they are (although I don't know what "yes, but I think I'm not" means). Is that accurate; are more than half the people attractive?
No, but this is not a representative sample. Most people in fashion and beauty forms are trying to get ahead, and many of them started with an advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or