U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Attractive?
Yes. 50 40.98%
No. 36 29.51%
No, but I think I am. 8 6.56%
Yes, but I think I'm not. 9 7.38%
Other. 19 15.57%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 PM

33,442 posts, read 21,031,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I look OK in the mirror but when I see photos or video of myself - YIKES! who is that?
Photos are in reverse, so it messes us up.

Plus, some are just not photogenic, and I am one. I'm always told I look better in person.

First, I consider 9s and 10s to be the uber beautiful model types, so that is off the table from the git go (to me).

Other than that, who knows? I've always been considered attractive (well, less and less as I get older ), but that is merely a result of genetics and eyeliner.

People seem to feel free to joke around about it, and I think that is a good thing. The office manager always called me "Miss Hawaii" but if I looked rough it was changed to "Mrs. Hawaii." She was usually pretty accurate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 10:04 PM

11,976 posts, read 4,806,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I look OK in the mirror but when I see photos or video of myself - YIKES! who is that?
What is that phenomenon? I look at myself in the mirror, fine, here we go. Get to the party, party pics, OH MY GOSH!! Why do pictures so much more accurately tell you what you look like, where looking at yourself in the mirror doesn't?

Weird.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM

11,976 posts, read 4,806,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Photos are in reverse, so it messes us up.

Plus, some are just not photogenic, and I am one. I'm always told I look better in person.

First, I consider 9s and 10s to be the uber beautiful model types, so that is off the table from the git go (to me).

Other than that, who knows? I've always been considered attractive (well, less and less as I get older ), but that is merely a result of genetics and eyeliner.

People seem to feel free to joke around about it, and I think that is a good thing. The office manager always called me "Miss Hawaii" but if I looked rough it was changed to "Mrs. Hawaii." She was usually pretty accurate.
I think there may be something to that. My husband tells me I don't look like I do in photos, and for some reason, my eyes are often closed or I have a weird look on my face where other people look in pics EXACTLY the way they do in person.

And often other people will say, we need to take another shot, Clara doesn't look good. Which, thankfully, makes me realize I DON'T look like that horrible pic.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 AM

6,861 posts, read 3,209,030 times
a 6.

yup I do photo graph well if you darken the room enough to only see my green eyes. Otherwise, yikes a hootie!

I think with age comes a different style of Good looking. Salt and pepper hair...or that bone structure that seems to get heightened because the skin is less puffy . Some would say its shallow cheeks yet I have seen some lovely cheek bones emulate and flatter the person as they progress thru the decades.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 AM

80 posts, read 14,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Not good looking at all.

I wasn't beaten with the ugly stick - it was the whole tree!
That's me too! For some reason I've been asked out by some good looking guys over the years though. I don't know what's wrong with them, poor eyesight maybe. Sometimes I wonder if it's like that movie Dogfight, where they've got a contest going with their friends to see who can get the ugliest date.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:10 AM

2,770 posts, read 1,245,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What is that phenomenon? I look at myself in the mirror, fine, here we go. Get to the party, party pics, OH MY GOSH!! Why do pictures so much more accurately tell you what you look like, where looking at yourself in the mirror doesn't?

Weird.

When you look in the mirror, you can control your features. Pics are taken at odd moments. I tend to have squinty eyes and a gummy smile when I smile for pictures. If I try to not smile and keep eyes open, I tend to look like a sad sack.

The last time I liked a photo of myself was at age 21 or so.

I'm not losing any sleep over it though.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,543,476 times
I'm confused about my attractiveness. I have always thought that I wasn't ugly but not gorgeous either. I had a "pleasant" face. However, as I've aged and gotten all the physical changes that accompany that, I actually feel a little ugly. I know I'm not really as I still get "attention" sometimes. Maybe I'm a little too critical of myself. I do think there are aspects of my features that are attractive but I can't quite see an overall beauty

Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 AM

11,332 posts, read 6,627,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Are you attractive? Do you think you are attractive? Do you think other people believe you are more or less hot than you believe yourself to be?
I'm not attractive at all, even more so after i've gotten fat. I do try to dress stylish and I think I have pretty epic hair...that is about it though. Can't figure out why, but my wife does find me attractive... that or she's BS'ing me. LOl

Old 10-30-2019, 12:01 PM

13,017 posts, read 7,845,335 times
VTsnowbird, I agree, and that's what I was going to say.

When I look in a mirror, I think I do subtle things with the angle of my face, and tiny expression controlling face muscles, that make me look better to myself in that moment. I find it very funny though, when I'm alone in the public restroom at my work, and I'm doing this in the mirror and someone walks in. I immediately look down at my hands (that I am probably washing) and hope they didn't see me making faces at myself.

I have, when I had the space and time alone, set up a camera on a tripod with a delay, and taken photos of myself somewhat more elaborate than just a "selfie" sort of thing. I did this when my ex was deployed, so I could send pictures to him. (They were not "intimate" photos, just ones where I was trying to look good with clothing, makeup, and setting the whole thing up in a cool way.) I'm an artist, so what I was trying to do, was artistic self-portrait work. Sometimes I'd then play around with colors and filters a bit. I have one of those in my profile here, actually, it's a black and white one.

Point being, when I did that sort of project, I would take my time, and take tons of photos, and look at them, then adjust anything that seemed "off" about myself in the next round. Only a few made the cut at the end. I've also worked a little with some pro photographers I'm friends with ("modeling" seems ridiculous and awkward to me, I don't think of myself as a "model" at ALL.) and they do the same thing of taking a million photos and only using the best. I always told them, "Look...I'm not really a model, so I'm going to need you to give me a lot of direction. I have no idea if I am making a stupid face, OK? Seriously. I don't know! Please tell me!" Because some photographers are a lot better about this, than others.

The models I do know, one thing they seem to be good at, is knowing how to position their head and face and what expressions to make that "work" for them really well. They can nail it in an instant, even if they are not PERFECT looking to begin with. Oh and they know how to work absolute magic with makeup & hair.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 PM

2,349 posts, read 1,396,524 times
Depends on the day!

I'm a chubster though. Cupcakes are my friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or