Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 11:57 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times

Advertisements

In case you couldn't work it out for yourself, the joke is that they are done in the style of a children's book but for subject matter not suitable for children.

Provocative t-shirts, freaking people out since the 60s.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:24 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
In case you couldn't work it out for yourself, the joke is that they are done in the style of a children's book but for subject matter not suitable for children.

Provocative t-shirts, freaking people out since the 60s.
Bingo

Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
*yawn*,

South park was always killing Kenny. ...didn't care for that show either. No matter what guise of "creative license" folks like to rationalize ..it's license needs revoked.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:19 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
That's why society is in deterioration mode. And everyone wonders why kids are violent, bullying, etc. in schools. I'm not saying this is THE SOLE reason, but shirts like these sure don't help the situation. Funny how when I brought up about this shirt & others like it to a group of my coworkers, they said comments so UNLIKE those in this thread, such as what I quoted below. So, yep anything to make a buck, get an inappropriate rise out of people, etc. I guess. That's why there are all kinds of people in this world.

"I don't care if it isn't in children's sizes, children see adults wearing them. They're awful!"

AND

"I don’t want to be the thought police. I’m torn on this issue. On one hand, I believe times change by challenging the level of acceptability—and that’s often a good thing. An example is women speaking up.

However, I think these shirts are a sad reflection of what is acceptable in our society. Recently there was language used here at PT that I found objectionable as degrading to women, and 4 posters used/defended/praised the language. We’re all entitled to our opinions, but I think that’s sad, too. IMHO, if you want to use that language or wear that shirt in the privacy of your home, so be it, but please consider your children and audience.

I live in a state that’s considered liberal, and I believe very strongly in the right to individual expression, but I try to avoid behaviors that could easily offend others. I’m not talking about differing opinions, I’m talking about public displays.

Call me a fuddy duddy, I believe we sometimes go too far."

AND

"I respect his artistic ability and ability to "think outside the box" in his creations.

but...

I would not care to purchase any of his merchandise, nor would I care to see someone wearing any of those clothing items when I'm out and about.
Luckily, I've yet to see anyone wearing them.
I guess it's the shock value he's selling.
Guess there will always be some people going for the shock value in selfies, etc. It's how they get attention. (He sure is getting attention and money with his merchandise!)"

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-06-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 04:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Walk by any t-shirt shop or beachwear store in any beach town and you'll see the same stuff.

It's been around for decades.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Walk by any t-shirt shop or beachwear store in any beach town and you'll see the same stuff.

It's been around for decades.
I've been going to shopping malls, etc. since I was a child in the 80s & I go a LOT & yes, I've seen those type connected to horror movies (for example, Chucky holding a knife, Michael Myers in Halloween), but I can't say I've seen clothing showing kids about to do such violent acts of killing so that's teaching:

- it's alright to kill
- in THIS particular shirt I took a picture of, it's also showing an accomplice to murder (the other child holding the victim down) so it's alright to help the murderer rather than the victim

Yet, we see very contradicting messages like: "If you see something, say something" & all that. Yes, society's teaching the youth of the world "well".

What's odd is that these shirts may be for adults, but it's KIDS it's actually showing. Yeah, real "nice"!

Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
OP, I have seen people wearing these shirts.

And I own a shirt that has the F-word repeated all over it, which I also got from Spencer's.

It's an adult store. For adults. That sells adult things. Like sex toys and novelties, gag gifts, and pot-leaf everything. That is the kind of store that Spencer's is, and always has been.

You know where I wear my F-word shirt? AND where I've seen these other "edgy" shirts?

Bars. Where you have to be an adult to even be there. Or parties, for adults, with only adults invited and attending.

Those who wear the t-shirts tend to wear a button-down over it, as you can tell they are not planning to just wander around in regular public wearing that. When I wear my naughty language shirt (it is a button down shirt) I will bring it with me, stuffed in my bag or something, and put it on over a tank top I was wearing by itself previously, once I'm inside the place where only adults are at.

Personally, the things that bother me, are not just like, the existence of shirts that offend people, but more like stickers and things on cars that are extremely vulgar. Even at times when I know that kids won't necessarily "get the joke" it is distasteful, like when I saw a car literally in an elementary school pick up lane for getting kids when school lets out, and there were small children IN said car, and there was a sticker of the "shocker" hand gesture on the back window, bigger than life. My only thought was, "Wow. Keep it classy."

Certainly we've all got things that we judge. But I don't really know that it serves any purpose to get worked up or holler "what is this world coming to??" because frankly I think that a.) You can't control other people, so why bother, and b.) "This world" has bigger problems than a t-shirt or a bumper sticker.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Sonic_Spork, good comments.

But, that's why I'm in the FASHION section. We're talking about fashion here, not all the world's problems of which I know there are greater things than what's on shirts. But fashion has a strong impact too, no matter how minute or silly some people may think it is.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
whatever parents hate, kids like.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Are these the kinds of t-shirts they're actually selling these days for kids to actually wear?!
It sounds like the answer is, "No".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty