U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 AM

3,479 posts, read 5,301,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Glad someone understands along w/ a couple others of you (& several who PM'd me in approval).

Well, this sure isn't anything good. It serves no purpose in any positive way to society.
Many things that exist serve no real purpose or have a measurable 'positive impact' on society.

I don't think this is something worth looking for strangers' affirmation via posts and PMs. It really is rather harmless, even if it is pointless.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 AM

6,128 posts, read 8,582,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Many things that exist serve no real purpose or have a measurable 'positive impact' on society.

I don't think this is something worth looking for strangers' affirmation via posts and PMs. It really is rather harmless, even if it is pointless.
Thanks, but you can say the same to 80% + of the fashion &/or beauty threads that have been started here. Plus, I don't purposefully seek out PMs. As I'm sure you know, when a person goes on this board, they're automatically notified of PMs .

Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM

762 posts, read 1,064,716 times
For the record, you aren't the only person to receive PMs and reputation for posting on this thread, so don't take the ones you received as some kind of vindication. A lot of people who didn't post here think that you are over reacting.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but you can say the same to 80% + of the fashion &/or beauty threads that have been started here. Plus, I don't purposefully seek out PMs. As I'm sure you know, when a person goes on this board, they're automatically notified of PMs .
I haven't stated otherwise. Just saying that, the fact that something doesn't have a measurably positive impact on society doesn't mean it shouldn't exist or that it doesn't have a customer base etc. Hell, a ton of peoples' jobs would disappear if a job requirement was that it had a measurably positive impact on society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
For the record, you aren't the only person to receive PMs and reputation for posting on this thread, so don't take the ones you received as some kind of vindication. A lot of people who didn't post here think that you are over reacting.
Exactly.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM

7,666 posts, read 4,258,181 times
Quote:
Are these the kinds of t-shirts they're actually selling these days for kids to actually wear?! I'm specifically talking about the one that says, "Let's Sacrifice Toby" showing a child about to plunge a knife into another kid while a third child holds him down. There are other similar disturbing pictures and sayings on other shirts.

What has this world come to?!

(Tried to fix the sideways view.)
What is the source of that image? It's likely not a mainstream site, and possibly even fake, meant to show how scandalous the youth are these days.

Gotta watch these images that are presented for negative reasons. Always look at the site they originated on.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM

6,128 posts, read 8,582,801 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What is the source of that image? It's likely not a mainstream site, and possibly even fake, meant to show how scandalous the youth are these days.

Gotta watch these images that are presented for negative reasons. Always look at the site they originated on.
I saw this w/ my own eyes in a Spencers store when I was at the mall. Now I know, Spencers sell things that promote weed, sells sex play items, talk about pooh, etc. but to actually show kids killing each other, that's a whole new low.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-13-2020, 06:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 8,081,462 times
Quote:
[Snip.]

I saw this w/ my own eyes in a Spencers store when I was at the mall. Now I know, Spencers sell things that promote weed, sells sex play items, talk about pooh, etc. but to actually show kids killing each other, that's a whole new low.
Spencers isn't really a store for CHILDREN as such. If parents are taking their "kids" in there, or letting their "kids" go in there, either they are bad parents or else they feel they've raised their kids to not take such things seriously. As they were not meant to be taken seriously.

I mean, Game of Thrones isn't a kids' show, and I don't think it is promoting incest though there is plenty of that in said show.

There's all kinds of stuff out there. Things aren't always promoting things. And kids are not stupid enough to simply ape every thing that they see. There are comic books marketed to the youth, and have been since before you or I was even born I'm sure, that show all sorts of activity. People jumping off buildings, killing each other, and the like. Kids didn't read that and just go do it.

Frankly, I think all of the outrage and umbrage about this is reminiscent of the old "Dungeons & Dragons and rock music are rotting the minds of today's youth and will lead to Satanism and worse!" panic and pearl clutching of days gone by. I can't even imagine kids so dumb that they'll see a t-shirt and then go try and sacrifice their little friends. And I've known some dumb kids in my life. Still.

Though I do sometimes think about the way that American society seems more OK with kids being exposed to violence than we are with sexuality...and I guess Spencers is not a bad example of that, since they do check ID in the "adult toys" section, but they'd technically let a 10 year old buy a "Let's Sacrifice Toby" shirt if he really wanted to and had the cash. *shrug* But that's nothing new. Americans are notoriously funny about sex, and known to glorify violence.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 AM

8,381 posts, read 3,057,725 times
Some of you y'all are unfamiliar with the concept of irony, and it shows! LOL

Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some of you y'all are unfamiliar with the concept of irony, and it shows! LOL
exactly haha

Old Today, 11:37 AM

40,852 posts, read 15,666,681 times
This thread is now closed. It devolved into bickering, personal attacks, political commentary, proselytizing, you name it! Numerous posts have been deleted in the thread cleanup, and I don't feel the thread is worth continuing at this point.

People, remember which forum you're in when you post. Save religion and politics for the appropriate fora.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty