U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 AM

12,926 posts, read 12,992,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Except the 'wife beater' is an undershirt, not a tank top.

But you do you.
How many men do you know who own formal wear undershirts? A tank top is a tank top. Solid body, thin straps over the shoulder, no sleeves or collar. Color is optional. They can be worn as an undershirt, but what makes an undershirt is an overshirt, not a label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM

6,343 posts, read 3,648,611 times
Here comes the PC police clashing with the fashion police and telling people what to wear. My response, as usual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScRCuFpTNXg

(warning; NSFW)

Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 PM

9,964 posts, read 10,968,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
They are only awful if you don't have the body for them. I think lots of guys wear T-shirts under their shirts. Especially in the winter they provide a nice insulating layer. Also, many men wear them under light color dress shirts I think generally for propriety, as the shirts can be otherwise see through, and the button gaps.
Bingo.

They are undershirts. Some people can pull off wearing them as your only shirt, but you really need to have the right body for that.

They come in other colors than white
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/26...f72cf6b4aa.jpg

But, as far as undershirts go, they are sometimes a better option than a t shirt under a button-down shirt. T-shirts sometimes bunch up in the sleeve area under an long-sleeved button-down, or might be too hot if it's a warm day. The outline of the t-shirt can generally be seen as well. The "wife-beater" does a great job covering up the gaps on the front between buttons that might appear and show some belly fur to your adorning coworkers (not me..but I have coworkers who need to wear an undershirt).

I remember my grandfather, as far back as the 80's wearing them under his button down's with a jacket.

Plus my wife seems to like the look on me

Old 11-13-2019, 02:41 PM

27,149 posts, read 64,375,058 times
My daughters wear them quite a bit. One son wear them often. He is a crew rower and coach. They cover you up a little but to not get in the way, get soaked or keep heat in as much as a full t-shirt does.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM

9,770 posts, read 8,714,359 times
Of course! My husband wears them under dress shirts.

I hate the look of a dress shirt with no tee shirt or wife beater under it. Especially a white dress shirt or tuxedo shirt.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 488,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Of course! My husband wears them under dress shirts.

I hate the look of a dress shirt with no tee shirt or wife beater under it. Especially a white dress shirt or tuxedo shirt.

That’s different tho than a guy that wears a wifebeater as a shirt......

But I don’t think it looks good to see any undergarments under formal wear. That’s like a bra showing through a dress for us.....& why the bra is sometimes built in to more formal dresses....

Old 11-13-2019, 04:15 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,816,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
That’s different tho than a guy that wears a wifebeater as a shirt......

But I don’t think it looks good to see any undergarments under formal wear. That’s like a bra showing through a dress for us.....& why the bra is sometimes built in to more formal dresses....
I have never wore one under a dress shirt and I don't think you could tell because I use shirts that are thick enough to where you don't see through. I guess if the dress shirt made of thin fabric the you would see through. Either way I haven't use one in years but I like them.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 488,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I have never wore one under a dress shirt and I don't think you could tell because I use shirts that are thick enough to where you don't see through. I guess if the dress shirt made of thin fabric the you would see through. Either way I haven't use one in years but I like them.

Ita...I was going to recommend to blueherons her husband wear a heavier shirt....my fiancé doesn’t wear any kind of tee shirt under suits or tuxes.....

Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 PM

656 posts, read 1,094,406 times
We just got back from Chicago. Yes, the indigenous people still wear them

Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM

9,770 posts, read 8,714,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita...I was going to recommend to blueherons her husband wear a heavier shirt....my fiancé doesn’t wear any kind of tee shirt under suits or tuxes.....
Unless you are wearing a $500 Brioni tuxedo shirt, by design, they are thin.

There are either cheap or very expensive. Since he only wears them once or twice a year, I go with the cheaper tuxedo shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty