U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:54 AM

516 posts, read 214,997 times

Advertisements

I’m about 40 lbs over weight (trying to lose) carry most in my stomach and I am large chested. Trying on coats I came across the plus size section first so tried on couple of 1x’s. I couldn’t even zipper them. Them my friend handed me a couple of L and XL and I wasn’t even going to try but when I did I could zippier them. Tight but was able to. I checked all the tags as well to make sure they where the sizes on the hangers. Is it all about the manufacturer on how small or large they are made? My mother is thin (5’’7 and about 135) and sometimes she even has to by a large or XL winter coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:08 PM

10,625 posts, read 5,559,751 times
Rule No. 1: Sizes aren't standard. Always try on, and be flexible when it comes to the number on the tag. I wear anything between a 1XL and a 3XL, depending on the brand.

You can try on four different pairs of the exact same jeans in the exact same size, and they can all fit differently.

And you would think that 1XL (plus size) would be roughly the same as XL, but it's often not the case because the plus sizes aren't necessarily continuation of the womens' sizes.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

23,763 posts, read 15,353,844 times
I have problems falling between misses 16 and womens 1x. In my experience the 1x clothes are sometime too loose, so I am surprised at your experience. The clothes were different brands?

Clothes bought from catalogs are often larger than clothes found in department stores. Sizing runs different brand to brand. I’d be interested in knowing brand names of the too small and the just right coats.

And were the styles comparable? Were these down jackets?

Old Today, 06:47 PM

5,395 posts, read 8,174,839 times
I have noticed for men's it is usually the opposite when it comes to big-fit sizes. While 1X isn't a very common men's size (men's big sizes usually start at 2X), I usually find 2X to fit larger than XXL. I mostly buy XXL, but have a few shirts in 2X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or