U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:53 AM

4,654 posts, read 2,006,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Maybe it wasn’t. I guess I’m just an old cheapskate who couldn’t believe oil of Olay at CVS is $26.99.
Many drugstore lines still have a variety of products at different price points. I use CeraVe and some of that line also has $20+ face moisturizers. I also use products from Sephora and Ulta and some of those products run $50, but they will typically last me about 6-8 months. It is basically a twice a year purchase for me, not $200 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:16 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,754,328 times
Shopping for skincare and makeup products has become overwhelming in recent years. There are so many new lines, especially the celebrity ones, and the beauty/lifestyle websites seem to get lots of free products in exchange for putting them on a pedestal. It's difficult to know what products might be truly worth the price and which ones are overrated but given lots of publicity because of large advertising budgets.

Cerave, Aveeno, and Cetaphil have been consistently reliable for me, easily purchased at a Target or Walmart, and they aren't ridiculously expensive. And when writers at health/wellness, beauty and fashion websites promote $80 face cleansers and $250+ creams with unrealistic claims under the guise of 'journalism', there is really a problem with the industry. It seems like the beauty industry in Europe is stricter about ingredients deemed safe for skin--stricter regulations for safe ingredients and honest advertising are definitely things that the United States should have.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,903,464 times
Quote:
Maybe it wasn’t. I guess I’m just an old cheapskate who couldn’t believe oil of Olay at CVS is $26.99.
Not sure about your being a cheapskate but rather some of us just live within the budgets we have, it is simply what it is.

I have used Oil of Olay products for decades, I began with their Night Cream (in a black jar) which I had used
for day and night. It seemed to be richer, perhaps it contained more emollients, I don't really know. After some years it was discontinued, I couldn't find it anywhere so I began using their Active Hydrating beauty fluid lotion, not as rich and creamy but it has been sufficient.

I try to always have a new bottle waiting before I run out of the one I am using so yesterday I checked Walmart and I did see the Olay total effects moisturizer and considered it but was also surprised at the price and did not purchase it. I did purchase their Night of Olay (Firming Night Cream) which I had not come across before, it was $8.94 so I am going to try it out.

Old Today, 12:45 PM

12,223 posts, read 20,803,370 times
Quote:
I had a sample of oil of Olay total effects moisturizer. I really like the texture of it, it seems pretty basic but works well for my skin. I went in this morning to a drugstore to purchase it and was surprised to find that for a very small container of it the cost is $26.99. When did this happen to drugstore skin products? I can go into Sephora and get a cheaper cream not to mention samples of much pricier ingredients.

What had happened to the skincare industry? Oil of Olay was something my grandma used, I like the texture but not sure I want to pay $26.99. It has no special ingredients whatsoever.

Anyone else surprised by the costs of basic hygiene products? I mean facial moisturizer is a must. Makes me wonder what are people who have no money using to moisturize their skin? I thought oil of Olay was as as cheap as it gets but I guess not.
But that is not the age old oil of Olay that is oil of Olay total effects. It has 7 different anti-aging ingredients added in order to help your skin do better. That automatically means it’s a higher price. The plain old Oil of Olay is far cheaper, if it’s still available. And at Walmart.com I saw it for 13.65. Always price check.

At Target, CeraVe PM is 11.99, and is my preferred lotion. I used to use Total Effects, but I felt, like you, it was overpriced and overhyped. I also have rosacea, and that limits my product use. CeraVe is the lotion I’ve used forever. It’s gentle, it works beautifully. And the other reason is it lasts forever. I use one or two pumps and that covers my face and throat quite nicely.

As I’ve aged, I’ve noticed I needed more moisture. More ingredients. More issues to solve. But heavier creams are just greasy. So I added a serum. I tried Deciem, and I kind of liked that. But their process of “We make everything in a single serum so you get what you want” means you’re adding three or four serums....I am very no nonsense, and that doesn’t work for me.

I found a serum called Retinol+ from ArtNaturals. It’s at some Targets for 12.99. It’s got retinol, and antioxidants C & E, and it’s just got that boost of moisture that works. And my rosacea is very under control with it. My skin has never looked better.

And when I move back to PA next year — all of this might go out the window, because different environments affect skin.

Old Today, 12:52 PM

14,786 posts, read 7,094,594 times
You got me worried because my husband and I used Oil of Olay on a regular basis, more for my husband though than me. I only use it in the winter. My husband uses for the sunscreen. It works wonder. I avoid the other Oil of Olay products. They used to sell the regular type at Costco, but not anymore.

Old Today, 04:36 PM

12,223 posts, read 20,803,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You got me worried because my husband and I used Oil of Olay on a regular basis, more for my husband though than me. I only use it in the winter. My husband uses for the sunscreen. It works wonder. I avoid the other Oil of Olay products. They used to sell the regular type at Costco, but not anymore.
I found the regular Olay like Mom used at Walmart.com for 6 bucks. Keep in mind, store shelf space is at a premium now. They probably will stock the other more expensive Olay products. Out here, they’re actually locked up because of the amount of theft. That doesn’t mean it’s not available. But you might have to go online to find the original oil of Olay.

And if you do go online to purchase it, please be aware that at some online merchants like Amazon, you can easily get faked items. I’ve gotten burned on Amazon a number of times. So make sure you’re buying it from Amazon, not somebody who’s selling through Amazon. Or go to Walmart.com or target.com. I’ve kind of given up on Amazon unless I absolutely can’t find it anywhere else. Also, as always, price check. That’s my other big beef with Amazon. The prices are wildly divergent.

Old Today, 10:26 PM

19,052 posts, read 23,889,143 times
Quote:
Interesting. So it sounds like the $26.99 price for the Olay total effects is worth it?

It’s interesting how pricing works. How can brands like amore pacific charge $200 for a cream and Sunday Riley $80 for a small bottle of oil? I guess it’s all based on what people will actually buy.

I also remember paying $7 or so for Olay. That’s why I am suprised to see it being $26 which i know is cheaper than many brands.

It’s interesting that people will pay $100 for a bottle of something vs $25 for oil of Olay. Why do you think this is if the ingredients aren’t different? There are sooo many skin products and brands to choose from. It seems like the market is saturated.
It is not an outrageous price. Not today. I don't use it, but I've used Olay products in the past and they are decent.

So, I think they are priced about right.

I would not purchase any cosmetics online through Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or