U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
 
587 posts, read 143,893 times
Reputation: 611

Advertisements

I had a sample of oil of Olay total effects moisturizer. I really like the texture of it, it seems pretty basic but works well for my skin. I went in this morning to a drugstore to purchase it and was surprised to find that for a very small container of it the cost is $26.99. When did this happen to drugstore skin products? I can go into Sephora and get a cheaper cream not to mention samples of much pricier ingredients.

What had happened to the skincare industry? Oil of Olay was something my grandma used, I like the texture but not sure I want to pay $26.99. It has no special ingredients whatsoever.

Anyone else surprised by the costs of basic hygiene products? I mean facial moisturizer is a must. Makes me wonder what are people who have no money using to moisturize their skin? I thought oil of Olay was as as cheap as it gets but I guess not.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,635 posts, read 20,794,279 times
Reputation: 17067
That's in the standard price range of Olay products - watch for sales and coupons if you want that particular brand. Otherwise, there are lots of threads on less expensive skin cream.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
 
10,684 posts, read 5,588,178 times
Reputation: 36933
Olay definitely is at the top end of drugstore skincare. There are plenty of cheaper brands ... Aveeno, Neutrogena, CeraVe, Cetaphil, etc. ...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
 
12,671 posts, read 7,050,694 times
Reputation: 13840
The standard Olay light moisturizer can be had for 6 or 7 dollars. They got into different products with more expensive ingredients as well but the old standby our grandmas used is still pretty cheap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
 
3,420 posts, read 5,227,660 times
Reputation: 5110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I had a sample of oil of Olay total effects moisturizer. I really like the texture of it, it seems pretty basic but works well for my skin. I went in this morning to a drugstore to purchase it and was surprised to find that for a very small container of it the cost is $26.99. When did this happen to drugstore skin products? I can go into Sephora and get a cheaper cream not to mention samples of much pricier ingredients.

What had happened to the skincare industry? Oil of Olay was something my grandma used, I like the texture but not sure I want to pay $26.99. It has no special ingredients whatsoever.

Anyone else surprised by the costs of basic hygiene products? I mean facial moisturizer is a must. Makes me wonder what are people who have no money using to moisturize their skin? I thought oil of Olay was as as cheap as it gets but I guess not.
Don't be fooled by the fact that Sephora has much higher overhead to appear more 'high end' - physical stores, salespeople etc. Also, Olay has a full range of products that range from targeting the cheap consumer to products that are truly considered high end/premium. They have 70 years of research and have state of the art laboratories and manufacturing facilities dedicated to their products that rival or exceed any of their competitors. If they thought their products needed the 'special ingredients' they would be in there. And I'm not bashing Sephora either - they have been around 50 years so they are well established as well. But the difference you are seeing is largely the way the products are marketed vs how they are in reality. This is the only reason Sephora is considered more 'high end' than Olay.

I actually worked as a direct consultant for P&G for several years and had friends who were research scientists in their skincare division. When PG consolidated all of their Olay skincare manufacturing from all over the Americas into one facility I designed Mechanical, Plumbing, and Piping systems for their labs and manufacturing lines in that facility. They were top of the line, no expenses-spared, LEED-certified/Energy Star certified facilities. PG makes a ton of consumer products and their skincare products are by FAR the most expensive product $/oz that they manufacture (I will admit that they do also have one of the larger markups as well though).

If you couldn't tell, I am still quite proud of being the Mechanical EOR and one of the Construction Managers on that facility. Every single bottle or jar of Olay on any shelf in the Americas was manufactured and packaged in that facility that I helped take literally from a parking lot/open field to full production
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
 
587 posts, read 143,893 times
Reputation: 611
Interesting. So it sounds like the $26.99 price for the Olay total effects is worth it?

It’s interesting how pricing works. How can brands like amore pacific charge $200 for a cream and Sunday Riley $80 for a small bottle of oil? I guess it’s all based on what people will actually buy.

I also remember paying $7 or so for Olay. That’s why I am suprised to see it being $26 which i know is cheaper than many brands.

It’s interesting that people will pay $100 for a bottle of something vs $25 for oil of Olay. Why do you think this is if the ingredients aren’t different? There are sooo many skin products and brands to choose from. It seems like the market is saturated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
16,640 posts, read 13,413,199 times
Reputation: 32701
how come you just notice that - have you not used any products before?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
 
587 posts, read 143,893 times
Reputation: 611
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
how come you just notice that - have you not used any products before?
Just notice the price of Olay? I recall paying $7 for an olay face cream not long ago.

I have always used skin products but worked near a Sephora recently so I’ve been introduced to a lot more as of late. I’ve upped my skincare game the past few months as well. I have two kids (3 and 5) and my skin took a backseat to them for a while but before that I was very into skincare. There is just so much and I know I’ll never be able to try everything. I do prefer the more affordable products. I guess affordable is a subjective word these days. Basically I don’t want to spend $200 a month on skincare products.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
 
12,671 posts, read 7,050,694 times
Reputation: 13840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Just notice the price of Olay? I recall paying $7 for an olay face cream not long ago.

I have always used skin products but worked near a Sephora recently so I’ve been introduced to a lot more as of late. I’ve upped my skincare game the past few months as well. I have two kids (3 and 5) and my skin took a backseat to them for a while but before that I was very into skincare. There is just so much and I know I’ll never be able to try everything. I do prefer the more affordable products. I guess affordable is a subjective word these days. Basically I don’t want to spend $200 a month on skincare products.
Was it the SAME product? I doubt it. Once again, the original OofO moisturizer is still around 7 bucks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
 
587 posts, read 143,893 times
Reputation: 611
Maybe it wasn’t. I guess I’m just an old cheapskate who couldn’t believe oil of Olay at CVS is $26.99.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top