U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:01 PM

913 posts, read 284,013 times

Advertisements

My first diamonds were gifts from my father to me. A tiny pendant with a diamond chip set into it on a fine chain for my sixteenth birthday, a delicate gold ring with tiny twin diamonds in it for Christmas when I was sixteen, and a champagne diamond ring when I was twenty were all gifts from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 PM

16,962 posts, read 5,586,580 times
I haven't had good luck with diamonds. My first was a .75 carat solitaire engagement ring from my college sweetheart. The diamond had visible flaws and probably wasn't worth that much, but I was thrilled. I gave it back when we ended the engagement.

My second diamond was a 1.25 carat solitaire from my first husband. I chipped it at work, which upset him terribly since the diamond had belonged to his mother. I gave it back when we divorced. He never married again, and I don't know what happened to the ring.

When I married my second husband, we had just bought a house and didn't have the budget for a big diamond. So I settled for a gold band with a tiny .10 carat chip. I would have been happy with a plain gold band, but he insisted that I should have a diamond even if it was a small one. For our 10th anniversary we replaced that with a 5-diamond bezel set wedding band totaling about one carat, which I still wear to this day.

Chipping the 1.25 carat diamond traumatized me so much that I never wanted a big solitaire again even though now we could afford one. I don't even wear my bezel-set wedding band that much except when we go out. For everyday wear I prefer the thin, wide gold band that was in my mother's jewelry box when I cleaned out her home. I don't think she ever wore it, I have no idea of its history, but it's almost certainly an antique. It's comfortable, and I don't have to worry about something happening to it.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 981,390 times
My first would be my engagement ring. My husbands father gave him a diamond to use, 1/3 carat. It was his grandmothers or great grandmothers and was a older cut, miners cut. Not as sparkly as a modern cut but it was a close to perfect diamond.
Actually, I was supposed to inherit my great grandmothers ring, she died when I was about 15, but my grandmother held onto it and wore it until she died, then my grandfather gave it to me when I was 27 or so. The diamond (and two Ruby's) are both rose cut. Since I now own a few other small diamonds I went ahead and passed my great grandmothers ring to the only female descendent, my niece and asked that it only be passed to female descendents. My reasoning, if given to male decendent it would be given to wife who could keep if divorced then wouldn't be passed down. (I only have a son so he can have other diamonds)

Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 AM

588 posts, read 304,754 times
My first diamond was in my mother's engagement ring, which she gave to me when I turned 16. My next one was my own engagement ring. My ex-husband gave me a little heart necklace with three tiny diamonds on it, and a pair of small diamond studs. I lost all of them, and my mom's ring was stolen.

I decided I had bad luck with diamonds because they wouldn't stay on me. There were other stones that would not stay on me either. The only ones that will are amethysts and cubic zirconia.

Happy Belated Birthday, OP!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM

38,123 posts, read 46,985,552 times
My husband got me diamond earrings, early on, but I didn’t get a nice engagement ring
until my 10th anniversary. I told him I wanted a two carat diamond, so it took 10 years. He shopped at different jewelers as he went around town working. He was in construction, so wore jeans and flannel shirts most of the time. He said at many of the stores, they wouldn’t take the big diamonds out of the vault. Mistake, big mistake.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 AM

997 posts, read 385,548 times
When my mom was getting older, she gave my sister and I her mother's jewelry. I got my grandma's engagement ring from the 1920s. It was a .75 carat diamond on a thin white gold band, plus the original band which had worn through. It was too small to go on my finger and I'm not a jewelry person, so I sold them after my mom passed away. I have not told my sister, she loves diamonds and liked our grandmother (I didn't) and she was annoyed my mom gave me any of it.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:19 AM

8,025 posts, read 2,921,121 times
My first diamond was in my first engagement ring. It was a 1/2 carat marquis, with 1/4 trillions on the side. One trillion on each side.

When I got married to my second husband, we used the same ring, but switched out the marquis for an emerald cut diamond...a little bigger than the marquis. And then we had it set in a gold and diamond ring guard. And then I lost that. :-(

Now, I have an emerald cut, with a trillion on each side, again. (I like what I like.)

Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 PM

58,946 posts, read 56,692,317 times
My only diamond I ever had was my engagement ring. I was so thrilled to have one. It was pretty, a marquis cut with two smaller diamonds on the side.

My now-ex asked for it so he could pawn it and pay off a gambling debt. The loan sharks were calling and making threats, and we had a little girl, so I felt as if I had no choice. We were never able to afford to redeem it. It still makes me sad. It's the only really nice piece of jewelry I ever had, and I didn't get to have it for more than six or seven years.

Nowadays I buy myself nice big rings with different types of stones. I don't see myself ever owning another diamond.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-02-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 11,033,644 times
Myself? I've never owned one personally and probably never will. They don't do anything for me at all.

However, I guess you could say my first diamond was the 2carat engagement ring I bought my wife. She loved it. I love the look of it on her.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM

13,045 posts, read 13,057,389 times
Never had one, never wanted one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty