U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

905 posts, read 275,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’ve had the usual: engagement ring from first husband (reset into a pinkie ring after the divorce), a right hand ring I bought myself when I was convinced I’d never find another man to marry, my wedding ring from Mr. Dokie - 5 marquis diamonds in a flat setting, anniversary band, 3 stone band, a couple pairs of earrings.

My mother never had a diamond. She was married in 1944 and my father, who was an Army PFC at the time, could not afford one (she actually paid for their bands). Plan was to get one after he got back from the war, but kids and houses and braces came along instead. They could have afforded one later on but it didn’t happen. She died in her early 50s wearing that thin gold band. My father remarried to an absolute witch and bought her a beautiful diamond wedding ring. Still bugs the hell out of me 40 years later.
Yeah, that would bug me too. I hope my dad goes before mom --even though I'll miss him more. It would be hard to watch women swindle him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 12:27 AM

301 posts, read 165,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63
Mine was in a "promise ring" I got while in college. It was a tiny chip in the center of 6 rubies - made to kind of look like a flower. Back in 1983 it cost him $150 and was a really big deal, seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida
Mine was in a lovely delicate little diamond-and-ruby flower ring that had been my grandmother's. I think she gave it to me when I was somewhere between 10-15.
Those sound really pretty! I definitely prefer the look of a diamond accent rather than a huge stone.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 AM

2,805 posts, read 1,267,476 times
still waiting for mine. Had to buy my own wedding ring, a plain gold band. Still, I wouldn't have traded my hubby for Bill Gates and all the diamonds in Africa.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

16,792 posts, read 13,491,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
still waiting for mine. Had to buy my own wedding ring, a plain gold band. Still, I wouldn't have traded my hubby for Bill Gates and all the diamonds in Africa.
This is sweet! I am very practical, I don't care if my ring cost $100 or $10,000. I would rather have a cheap one and spend the rest of the money on something different.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM

6,427 posts, read 8,027,704 times
Eighty-four years, two dead husbands, still no diamond.

I always told anybody (rude) enough to ask that my sons were my "diamonds".

Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 PM

58,945 posts, read 56,692,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You were most fortunate, then!

Once I knew my pretty ring was gone forever and I would not be able to redeem it, I realized that any attachment to it was a reminder of a love I wished for but would never have, and I remembered that it's actually a rock and a piece of metal.

To have experienced someone loving you that much is priceless. I hope your memories sustain you forever.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,770,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
I just got mine today, my 39th birthday.

I expect for most women it was their engagement ring, but when I got engaged 20 years ago I wanted my birthstone instead. Over the years my jewelry has mostly been amber or sterling silver; we haven't been in a place to afford gems. Then a few weeks ago the stone fell out of my engagement ring and I wasn't able to find it, so I was pleased to see the wrapped ring-sized box this evening. :-)

The ring is in the shape of a dragonfly, with tiny white and black diamonds set in the wings. I doubt they come up to half a carat combined, but they sure are sparkly! I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding diamonds and synthetic ones are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing these days, but it still feels like a rite of passage. Happy birthday to me!
Such a sweet story and Happy Birthday!

Mine is a large two carat or so solitaire that is a family ring given to me by my Great Grandmother when I was 16 that is in a basket setting. It is 18 carat gold with enamel painting. Of course I still have it.

I have no idea its value, it's been in my family for decades. I would imagine it was made around the turn of the century 120 years ago.

My husband has never bought me diamonds.

My engagement ring and my wedding band are both also family jewelry given to me by my mother.

Old Today, 12:19 PM

26,313 posts, read 25,037,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I don't wear blood diamonds. I'm not into jewelry - give me a $50 Gift Card for a used bookstore, and I'm happy.

I do have an engagement ring but I don't wear it.
Sadly, we didn't know about that 30+ years ago. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty