U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 02:35 PM

409 posts, read 88,495 times

Advertisements

Really? People think you shouldn't be wearing a coat?

I've found the opposite to be true; people often chastise me for not wearing a coat (I rarely even take one with me) if it's even remotely cold out, whether I'm going to be outside for long or not (usually the latter). I also don't wear anything more if I'm just walking between vehicle and building, which again makes me a weirdo here (even though many Minnesotans do that). As much as I hate it, I usually simply avoid going outside if it's not 55F+ or is too windy and always avoid going out in 30s or lower; I blatantly prefer summer clothing, and the most I'll wear is long pants and a long-sleeve shirt with gloves, a scarf and earmuffs.

I don't disagree that it can be off-putting to others in some circumstances, though. Besides, I am and have been looking for a boyfriend, and I can't properly judge whether guys are sufficiently attractive if they aren't showing their hair (I tend to assume the worst when I can't judge properly). I also occasionally criticize mom (and others) for wearing a coat (even a stylish one with no hood) when it's hot and humid out; although I do it partly to spite them for incessantly chastising me, I still have a genuine belief that it shouldn't be done.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 12-02-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,084,713 times
For an old lady, I dress too casual: hiking boots, jeans, Tees and hoodies. Just me. Long hair, no makeup. Basic. We have acreage and it would be silly to wear heels and a dress.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,032,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
People don’t seem to be bothered by my wearing a hoodie .. it’s the ski mask that gives them pause.

Ha ha hahahahahaha

Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,640,879 times
I agree, the question isn't clear. Maybe it means, What are your dubious clothing choices that others find distasteful?

Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM

4,592 posts, read 1,196,778 times
I wear my dress shirts untucked, which may give people of a certain upbringing that I am sloppy or too lazy to tuck in my shirt.

In actuality, we had to tuck in ALL shirts in middle school, which looked ridiculous. And I very much enjoy not doing so.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM

2,120 posts, read 432,413 times
I have a pair of bright green corduroy pants that I wear often. I could possibly look like I'm trying to be an elf. People have commented, "Oh, your pants are so green!" Yep, they are.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:43 PM

7,699 posts, read 7,267,455 times
I take it to mean what gives away to others that you are not stylish. Mine would be that I
always wear flats instead of heels

Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM

80,443 posts, read 73,440,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I take it to mean what gives away to others that you are not stylish. Mine would be that I
always wear flats instead of heels
Flats are stylish, though. "Ballet slippers" were a big thing for years. Audrey Hepburn wore flats, and made them iconic. High heels have gone the way of the dodo bird in some regions of the US, and parts of Europe. In Scandinavia, they're regarded as extremely uncomfortable, and as signs of women's oppression.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM

16,795 posts, read 13,491,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I have a pair of bright green corduroy pants that I wear often. I could possibly look like I'm trying to be an elf. People have commented, "Oh, your pants are so green!" Yep, they are.
you pants are so green?? hahahha. OMG.

I don't know about red flags nor do I understand the question fully.

I am more of a winter person, i look better in winter. I like to wear tight long dresses where you cannot see anything hanging out, no cleavage and no legs, but they are sexy. Or tight jeans with high boots.
I like everything tight to show my curves, flat stomach and no fat rolls anywhere. Seems to be rare at my age, so I am taking advantage haha.

In summers I am a little lost, I don't think I look good in anything but jeans and Tshirt or fully nude. But they don't want me coming to work without clothes, so I have to put some on. I am not really a skirt or shorts person and I dont tan well, my skin is disgustingly white and freckly.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM

792 posts, read 219,375 times
Back in my Goth days, it was the 'demonic' jewelry. Nowadays, the knit cap with the colors of the Jamaican flag and the awful Tony Hawk hi-tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty