Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I don't think nowadays all employers care much about men, women having earrings even on their nose or tongue, long hair, short hair, purple, blue, red, orange, green hair, tattoos. As long as they can do their job, employers are okay with that.

I have a female manager who has tattoos all over her front, back, shoulders to her wrists. She does her job alright. And there's an employee who's in the recreation who has a ring on her nose, a stud on her tongue and wears different colour, or many colours on her hair, every day. The boss does not say anything. She does her job okay.

One time I went to a drug store, there was this guy who had eye brows drawn beautifully, eye makeup, earrings and very red lips. He looked very beautiful.

Now people just have to get used to what they think it's "abnormal". Nothing is "normal" anymore. I think as long as you don't do anything harmful to anyone, that's okay. People like to be "creative" nowadays.
I have 7 tattoos, one is a pretty large piece on my right shoulder. They're done by one of my best friends. She has tats on her arms that look good on her. She has a nice feather piece on one of them.

To me, most women with arm and chest tats look gross. The owners daughters on the show pit bulls and parolees have a lot of tats. All I focus on when they're on the show is their neck and chest tats. Their wild color hair doesn't bother me, I used to do that in the 80's. Add to that people with all sorts of face piercings or gauged ears. My daughter pierced her face when she was a teen, now she has all sorts of holes in her face. I'll be shocked if most of them don't regret their decision at some point. I'm also pierced in one place, did that in the late 80's before everyone started doing it. It hurt like heck. I'll die with my jewelry in. I don't regret my ink because mine aren't seen every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Looks ridiculous, sorry.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...-earrings.html

Old 12-12-2019, 04:58 AM

29 posts, read 50,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Can the OP post a pic of what exactly the look of that hoop earring looks like?
I like the hoops of the women in this picture very much. If I wouldn't be ashamed to wear them, they would definitely be hanging in my ears too.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
One time I went to a drug store, there was this guy who had eye brows drawn beautifully, eye makeup, earrings and very red lips. He looked very beautiful.

Now people just have to get used to what they think it's "abnormal". Nothing is "normal" anymore. I think as long as you don't do anything harmful to anyone, that's okay. People like to be "creative" nowadays.
I don' t know how I should react if I see a man with eye brows drawn beautifully, eye makeup, earrings and very red lips. I don't think it looks ridiculous, not at all. I think that I would be jealous at him, because he looks how he wants to look.
Beside that I really wanted to start a open conversation with him, to ask him what has driven him to do this. And I would be curious about how it feels. Without judging off course.

I agree that as long as you don't do anything harmful to anyone, it's okay. But unfortunately not everybody has the same opinion. And people have to judge about everything. Or, in my case, may be laugh at me (in my back) or think it's ridiculous. Of course they have the right to have their own opinion and I respect that. But that doesn't make it easier to start wearing big hoop earrings.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:02 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Personally, you could wear whatever (hoop earrings) you like regardless of what others think especially since you are doing so to satisfy your own needs and desires. I also have the right to think it’s ridiculous and wonder what psychological issue are going on.

People wear pants dropped down below their butt and they must like that look as well, however I sure a few other people think that looks ridiculous as well and they are entitled to think like that as well. Do whatever makes you happy but don’t expect others to share the same enthusiasm since it is your thing, not theirs.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's true there is no need for you to wear earrings at work. If you want to keep your job and advance in your career you should comply with the dress code policies of your employer. The opinions about your appearance of work colleagues and the formal policies of your place of work are much more important than the opinions of people in your social life. Ask your superiors at work what is the dress code for male civil servants in government offices where you live and comply with those policies.

Forget about what the women at work are wearing, what they wear has nothing to do with your situation because you are not a woman and you shouldn't even be comparing yourself with them.

If all the other men working at your place of employment are not wearing any earrings - regardless of if the men work indoors or outdoors - then that should be a big hint to you that it would be wise for you to not wear any earrings at work either. If you try to wear big hoops working at a government job the people at work are probably going to laugh & snicker and point fingers at you behind your back and you can forget about advancing at work. Save your hoop earrings to wear during your social life away from work.
Several guys at my last office wore the fake diamond earrings, some of them were large diamonds. The company had a strict dress code, but no one said a word about earrings. You’d see guys dressed for the office wearing these large diamond earrings. None of the gay guys I knew ever wore them, the guys who wore them were heterosexual. After the initial shock at seeing a large diamond or two in a guy’s ear, I got used to seeing them.

I’d see guys wearing hoop earrings, mostly Latino gardener’s, at least in Phoenix.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
The company had a strict dress code, but no one said a word about earrings. You’d see guys dressed for the office wearing these large diamond earrings.
Unfortunately I don't work in an office like that, where most of the men wear earrings. But I don't think I should wear diamond earrings too. I don't like them. I only like hoop earrings.

But if many men where wearing diamond earrings, everybody was used to men wearing earrings. So I would be a lot easier to wear hoop earrings. And it would probably not a be any problem if I should wear big hoop earrings. Alltough I know some people would think it's funny. But hey, it are just earrings, just like the other men wear. They are only a bit, excuse me, a lot, bigger.

Do you think that should work (for me)?

Old 12-13-2019, 06:47 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
wear them on your day off & go around town. In large cities no-one will bat an eye, small towns may not be as accepting. Go for it & try it.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's true there is no need for you to wear earrings at work. If you want to keep your job and advance in your career you should comply with the dress code policies of your employer. The opinions about your appearance of work colleagues and the formal policies of your place of work are much more important than the opinions of people in your social life. Ask your superiors at work what is the dress code for male civil servants in government offices where you live and comply with those policies.

Forget about what the women at work are wearing, what they wear has nothing to do with your situation because you are not a woman and you shouldn't even be comparing yourself with them.

If all the other men working at your place of employment are not wearing any earrings - regardless of if the men work indoors or outdoors - then that should be a big hint to you that it would be wise for you to not wear any earrings at work either. If you try to wear big hoops working at a government job the people at work are probably going to laugh & snicker and point fingers at you behind your back and you can forget about advancing at work. Save your hoop earrings to wear during your social life away from work.
True, there is no need for me to wear earrings at work. But unfortunately there's a voice in my head which tells me to wear them, hoop earrings, whenever it's possible. So, to obey that voice, I started wearing them. And I become much more happy then I ever was before, just because of these things in my ears.

Beside that, I know, wearings earrings is no good for my career at the government. Male civil servants at the office don't wear earrings. So in that case, I'm different. And must I pay for expressing myself. But I rather be myself with earrings than put my earrings away to get a better function. Because, in the end, it's just a job too.

And sure, I'm not a women, So I'm should not compare myself with them. But does that mean that I'm not allowed to wear earrings? May be not big hoop earrings. I understand that people say that looks silly. So I'm gone have a hard time if I should wear them. But normal hoop earrings shouldn't be a problem. It' s not a skirt or make-up, which is much more addressed to women than earrings.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
wear them on your day off & go around town. In large cities no-one will bat an eye, small towns may not be as accepting. Go for it & try it.
Are you sure? You think I should wear them on my days off? Just like there's nothing 'wrong' with me, wearing big hoop earrings?

That's very sweet. And I think I can handle it, when I finally have big hoop earrings, just wear them in my own time. And not at work.

But the place where I live is not very big. In mean, there are not living a million people or something like that. May be 100.000. Should that be big enough? I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty