Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times

Advertisements

I think you should wear what you want to wear. This might start a new trend, kind of like when men started wearing diamond stud earrings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 AM

29 posts, read 50,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If you're okay with the person you're having sex with won't anymore and the organization that employs you gives you a pink slip.

Let's not pretend that "screw what anybody else thinks" doesn't have a price tag attached. A hefty price tag.

I know. It's so "judgy". Reality is.
I agree with the hefty price tag. So I’m having a hard time, making a choice between what I want and what’s wise to do.

I’m not scared that people think it’s gay. I never see gay people with big hoop earrings. So I think they say it’s gay, because they have no other word for it.

I’m more afraid that people think that I rather be a girl/women (what’s not true). Because this evokes much more resistance, it’s much more difficult. And makes it more complicated to wear big hoop earrings.

Or strange people make a picture of me with their cell phone. And start laughing about what they’ve just photographed.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don’t give a rats patooty if a person is gay, but I would never EVER want to date someone that looked or dressed gay. That isn’t “being judgy”. It’s called PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Learn the difference.
^^^This^^^

Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 AM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont View Post
I agree with the hefty price tag. So I’m having a hard time, making a choice between what I want and what’s wise to do.

I’m not scared that people think it’s gay. I never see gay people with big hoop earrings. So I think they say it’s gay, because they have no other word for it.

I’m more afraid that people think that I rather be a girl/women (what’s not true). Because this evokes much more resistance, it’s much more difficult. And makes it more complicated to wear big hoop earrings.

Or strange people make a picture of me with their cell phone. And start laughing about what they’ve just photographed.
I sometimes wear hoops but they aren't great big ones. But ya, the gay scene likes hoops so expect some guys to hit on you. As said before, you do you. Guys straight or not have been wearing hoops for 50 years. No one really cares and you shouldn't either.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:23 AM

602 posts, read 504,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If you're okay with the person you're having sex with won't anymore and the organization that employs you gives you a pink slip.
If the latter, depending on where you live and what precedents are in place, you might have some legal recourse if the employer was being discriminatory (especially if worn off the job or you weren't in violation of any dress code). Nonetheless, if the employer does not let anyone in that position wear big earrings (regardless of gender), especially if the rule exists for a safety reason, etc. then you could be canned with impunity for wearing them on the job.

Last edited by KellyXY; 12-05-2019 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I sometimes wear hoops but they aren't great big ones. But ya, the gay scene likes hoops so expect some guys to hit on you. As said before, you do you. Guys straight or not have been wearing hoops for 50 years. No one really cares and you shouldn't either.
I'm totally not familiar with the gay scene. I know some gay guys, from work, but they look like normal man. Most of them don't even wear earrings at all. So if people say that big hoops are for gay people, that's new to me.

What I know about the gay scene is that they want to express themselves more. With behavior, clothes and, yes I guess so too, earrings. But are it specifically big hoop earrings? Personally I think striking earrings. And that could be big hoop earrings.

And yeah, may be I'm more concerned about what what people think about big hoop earrings than what I should be. And just put them into my ears.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
If the latter, depending on where you live and what precedents are in place, you might have some legal recourse if the employer was being discriminatory (especially if worn off the job or you weren't in violation of any dress code). Nonetheless, if the employer does not let anyone in that position wear big earrings (regardless of gender), especially if the rule exists for a safety reason, etc. then you could be canned with impunity for wearing them on the job.
I work as a civil servant at the office of the local government. Most of the women wear earrings, some even big ones. So I think, in that way, it's no problem wearing big hoop earrings.

But at the office no men who wears earrings. Those men work outside, as gardener or something like that.

But I don't need to wear big hoop earrings at work. The hoops I wear nowadays are oké. Alltough it would be nice, wearing big hoops at work. So I'm considering about it. And may be, when I feel complaince with them, I will.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:

Yes. People will look at you. Maybe you don’t think it looks gay, but for sure it looks like “ I wanna be a girl”. It simply does. Maybe not to everyone, but I would say that it does to most. Like a man wearing high heels. Or a dress. Yeah I know there are people that love to rant “OMG get over your gender issues!”. (As far as I’m concerned, they have more of a problem than I do.) But like it or not, we are not androgenous...we are men and women. And we all have our perceptions or expectations or whatever...of men and of women. Of course they are individual and unique to a degree, but they are there. To not make a judgement about someone based on their behavior, appearance, voice, WHATEVER, is to not be human. It’s how we live and survive - that learning by experience thing. Read the book Blink, if you haven’t.

The price tag will be high, as the other poster stated. But that’s up to you.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-05-2019 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,379,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
If the latter, depending on where you live and what precedents are in place, you might have some legal recourse if the employer was being discriminatory (especially if worn off the job or you weren't in violation of any dress code).
Going through legal recourse is a perfect example of a hefty price tag.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:

Well you’ve answered your question, it seems to me. You do care, and the price you would pay is too much for you. If a lot of other, attractive men were wearing hoop earrings, it would be easier. As it is now, it is hard.

I’ve thought about your question. I am on record as believing people should wear what they want to, assuming their choices are within the boundaries of decency. But I really do have a problem with a guy wearing large hoop earrings. It is probably because it is something not seen. It is highly unusual. And hoop earrings are regarded as feminine. The fact that you posted about this asking a question makes me feel that you aren’t really ready to do this yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty