Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 12:40 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont View Post
Well, I think it’s very important to know want other people think. I’m not the only person in the world. To 'survive' I have to work and live together with other people. And not only the one I’m having a relationship with. Or some (close) friends.

So this forum gives me the opportunity to discuss my dilemma with other people, with an opinion that’s may be the same as the people who I have to deal with in real life.
Why don't you get a pair and wear them on the weekends. See how it goes. Then decide if you want them for everyday.

Many people change their earrings every day... to match the outfit they are wearing. Or just change them because they feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 06:39 AM

29 posts, read 50,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why don't you get a pair and wear them on the weekends. See how it goes. Then decide if you want them for everyday.

Many people change their earrings every day... to match the outfit they are wearing. Or just change them because they feel like it.
That sounds good, getting me a pair of big hoops and wear them in the weekends. And wear my normal hoops to work. I'm free to wear whatever I want in the weekend and don't get any trouble at work.

I think I can live with that. I don't need to wear big hoop earrings at work. I don't think it's very comfortable to wear big hoops all the time. They are more heavy than normal hoop earrings. And the fun of big hoop earrings may be disappears when you wear them all the time.

But I 'm also not comfortable of wearing big hoops in the weekend. Like showing them to my friends for the first time. I know, most/some of them wear hoop earrings, but that are the same hoops that I wear nowadays. And not the big hoops that girls/women wear.

May be I have to ask some of them what they think about it. May be they think it looks stupid, but accept it. And will be happy for me, for the fact that I'm wearing the hoops I really want to wear. That doesn't sound quite bad to me.

And after all, if I can't handle it, I can always return to my normal hoops. Alltough people will remember my female look for a long time. And may be make jokes about it. But that's not so bad at all. It's better than nobody who remembers something of you.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:50 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
It sounds like you already wear small hoops.
Why not get several sizes and work your way up to the big hoops. Like, once you and everyone else are used to 1" hoops, start wearing 1-1/4" hoops.

That lets everybody get accustomed gradually.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It sounds like you already wear small hoops.
Why not get several sizes and work your way up to the big hoops. Like, once you and everyone else are used to 1" hoops, start wearing 1-1/4" hoops.

That lets everybody get accustomed gradually.
Yes, I wear small hoops already. They measure 1". I really love my hoops and some friends of me wear them too. But I want to wear bigger hoops.

I was thinking about something like that too. Working my way up. So I can decide which size fits best for that moment in my 'working -up process'. And 1-1/4 hoops are only a bit bigger than the hoop earrings I'm wearing now. So may be nobody will notice the difference, while I'm certainly see it. Because it are my earrings and I know that they are bigger.

Now it sounds good to me wearing hoops of 3", but may be I end at 2". Or 2,5". That' s also very big. But if I want to wear big hoops, why shouldn't I go all the way. Because if 2" or 2,5" hoops look ridiculous, it's no problem wearing hoops of 3". Those 3" hoop earrings are may be a bit more ridiculous, and that shouldn't be enough to stop me reaching my goal.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:39 AM

I was always wondering how big the hoop earrings of George Michael where. He really had a cool look back in those days. I think they where also about 1 inch, so as big as mine are.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don’t give a rats patooty if a person is gay, but I would never EVER want to date someone that looked or dressed gay. That isn’t “being judgy”. It’s called PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Learn the difference.
Sorry but your ignorance is incredibly surprising and more than a little annoying. I assume when you say something or someone looks”gay”, what you really mean is effeminate??? If so, do you really not understand that equating gay with effeminate is a stereotype and, that the vast majority of gay men do not look or act effeminate? Saying something or someone “looks gay” sounds like something a 13 year old from the 1980s would say. Perhaps a man wearing large hoop earrings is considered non gender conforming to many, but that is very different from “gay”, which is a sexual orientation, not an expression of binary gender roles.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 AM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Sorry but your ignorance is incredibly surprising and more than a little annoying. I assume when you say something or someone looks”gay”, what you really mean is effeminate??? If so, do you really not understand that equating gay with effeminate is a stereotype and, that the vast majority of gay men do not look or act effeminate? Saying something or someone “looks gay” sounds like something a 13 year old from the 1980s would say. Perhaps a man wearing large hoop earrings is considered non gender conforming to many, but that is very different from “gay”, which is a sexual orientation, not an expression of binary gender roles.
We all have different opinions sweetie. I presented mine. You can present yours but it surely does not change mine. “ Ignorance” is not the issue here ( at least, not mine.)

Old 12-19-2019, 12:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont View Post
I was always wondering how big the hoop earrings of George Michael where. He really had a cool look back in those days. I think they where also about 1 inch, so as big as mine are.

George Michael was gay though and in that picture you posted he was very young and pretty and was deliberately promoting the effeminate gay boy look. So no matter how people's attitudes of acceptance may change with changing times, if any man deliberately promotes that effeminate gay look that is how other people are going to perceive it. People believe what their eyes tell them. So you need to decide if that is what you want. Do you want to look like an effeminate gay and have other people believe you are gay? Does it bother you that people will think you are gay?

Perhaps your compelling desire and joy that you get from wearing hoops in you ears, and your thinking that George Michael at that time looked so cool (cool translates to desirable), is an indication that you actually are gay and are in denial about it. If that's the case then the hoops or the size of the hoops is not the issue, the issue is you coming to terms and being honest with yourself.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-19-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 02:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Several guys at my last office wore the fake diamond earrings, some of them were large diamonds. The company had a strict dress code, but no one said a word about earrings. You’d see guys dressed for the office wearing these large diamond earrings. None of the gay guys I knew ever wore them, the guys who wore them were heterosexual. After the initial shock at seeing a large diamond or two in a guy’s ear, I got used to seeing them.

I’d see guys wearing hoop earrings, mostly Latino gardener’s, at least in Phoenix.

Historically all jewelry and styles of jewelry have been symbols that tell a story about the social status of the wearers. In western society today most people have lost sight of the true historical symbolism of the various types of jewelry but some types of jewelry never lose their meanings. Diamonds for example.

Both men and women who wear diamonds wear them as a status symbol to impress and demand respect from other people. The diamonds indicate the high monetary status and social value they already have achieved or, in the case of fake diamonds it represents the high status and value that they aspire to but have not yet achieved. It's a psychological trick that people play on themselves, it really has nothing to do with their sexual orientation or whether or not the diamonds do anything to enhance their physical features and appearance. Diamonds have always been one of the very highest of social status symbols for people throughout history, the bigger the diamonds are the higher the status they have or at least want others to think they have.

Hoop earrings for both men and women are another social status symbol that historically have most commonly been worn by minorities of any race as communal symbols that signal resistance against poverty, slavery, oppression and disrespect. Again, it had nothing to do with sexual orientation or enhancement of appearance.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I think you didn't understand me. I'm not the one who wrote that looking gay is the same as effeminate. I know many gay people, but not one of them look effeminate. They look just the same as every other man and act most of the time the same. To be honest, and what I also heard from other people, most of the time they're more friendly than straight man.

No, the problem is that many people say that wearing big hoop earrings looks gay. I didn't understand. But that's because they call everything what's looks effeminate, or what they 'address' to women, gay. So that's what they mean.

But isn't wearing big hoop earrings effeminate because we only see women wearing them? Because what's effeminate about hoop earrings after all? It aren't dangling earrings or something like that. I think those earrings are really, or more, effeminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty