Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times

Advertisements

I have a 19 year old female family member who could benefit from some guidance on hair, makeup and clothing. I am looking for a magazine (paper or online) that is good on explaining and showing the basics of what kinds of clothes to wear based on body type, haircut styles to flatter the shape of the face, how to pick makeup colors based on skin tone, etc.

Not looking for high style, but rather good everyday practical guidance, suitable for a 19 year old.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
This young woman has an internet connection, no? She has access to YouTube videos, blogs, retail adverts. If she wanted fashion advice, she would have gotten such already. Ever heard of “influencers.” These bloggers function like fashion and style advisers to young women. They are readily accessible online.

My advice is to let your family member alone. If you give her a book or mag subscription emphasizing grooming, dressing and such she’ll understand that you are judging her. This is not a good way to send a loving message at the holidays.

You might examine your own motives here, as well. This woman is an adult and can choose to present herself any way she pleases. Now, if she were to ask for advice, that would be different. But unless she has requested help, my advice is to leave well enough alone.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Do 19 yr olds even know what magazines are? I agree with silibran, if she's interested she'll find her own way to you tube or whatever the latest thing is online.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:53 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Has she asked you for help with her appearance, or is this just your opinion?

Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
No I have not discussed it with her at all. I was just describing the type of publication I am looking for. Mod cut.

Are you all saying that a subscription to an online women's magazine or website is an inappropriate gift to anybody?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:41 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No I have not discussed it with her at all. I was just describing the type of publication I am looking for. [Snip.]

Are you all saying that a subscription to an online women's magazine or website is an inappropriate gift to anybody?
If she hasn't expressed an interest in such topics, then yes, it's not a great idea because it may be taken the wrong way. My daughter still seethes over the repeated gifts of makeup, perfume and 'cute' clothes given by her dad and stepmom. She knew they didn't think she was feminine enough and she found the items to be hurtful and judgmental.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 01:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No I have not discussed it with her at all. I was just describing the type of publication I am looking for. [Snip.]

I think so if the idea is to change her. But it is also beside the point. 19 year olds don’t read paper publications for lifestyle advice.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 01:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,320,351 times
I like Tatler.com. And one can browse at Tatler Europe, Russia, or Asia ~ for cosmopolitan fashion scenes.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Most 19 year olds probably think they know everything. I wouldn’t bother to give her a magazine—paper or on-line. I realize you are probably trying to help her, but best not to do this unless she asked you.

I have commented several times on how a 20 year old male relative had such nice (real) natural highlights in his hair. He called me out on that for mentioning it more than once, with rather snarky words. I will never compliment his hair again, ever.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:13 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I love this idea, but I don't know how viable it is. A physical magazine would be great, and a general all-purpose reality-based magazine would be great. I can't believe how negative some of the responses are. Anything that potentially increases a young person's knowledge or awareness is a good idea.

When I was about 13 or 14, my mother subscribed to several for me. The problem is, I think they've all gone under. Maybe that's why girls today are so clueless and such slobs. If Seventeen magazine is still around, that would be the type - but your relative would probably now think herself too old for it. Maybe, at her age, she needs a magazine geared for adults, one that might incorporate job attire and such. Maybe there's a general magazine, like a health or style magazine that would also include beauty? Like maybe Real Simple?

What if you called the main library in town, ask for the periodicals department, and asked their advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty