U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 AM

11,001 posts, read 5,806,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I don't like the big brother aspect......nor the fact you can't get away from the constant barrage of texts/calls.
Sure you can. Unless you have zero restraint. Just because people call or text, that doesn't mean they have to get my immediate attention.

Quote:
I don't want a text message tone/beep/alert to ever wake me up.
I never have tones wake me up. Night mode. Easy peasy.

Quote:
IF I am waiting for a call/text I'll carry it otherwise it is in the car or sitting on a counter at home. I'm not a hostage to the device, I'm not the president waiting for the red phone to ring so I can deal with a national crisis.
I carry a phone for MY convenience, not anyone else's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 08:42 PM

26,717 posts, read 25,383,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Let me start of by saying that there are lots of good people I know who wear them. In fact, I think very highly of many of them. Sometime I even wish I was more like these people.

But fashion-wise, they just don't work. Not sure why. Especially since I like digital watches, even rectangular ones.

Can anyone else relate?
You can have a digital readout, and a few of them look fairly traditional.

I stopped wearing a watch years ago, so I certainly don't want one.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:59 PM

81,075 posts, read 74,247,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I hate the look of smart watches and I’m a watch fan. However I’m seriously considering the Apple Watch. Unlike most other smart watches and fitness tracking watches, the Apple Watch will give you a medical alert to seek medical assistance when it detects a dangerous heart rate or unusual arrhythmia. It will also sense a sudden fall and a lack of motion for a period of time before initiating a call to 911 reporting your GPS location.
That would be useful. I'd like to get the blood sugar meter watch.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 PM

11,001 posts, read 5,806,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would be useful. I'd like to get the blood sugar meter watch.
I’ve got a Dexcom G6 and can see my readings on my Apple Watch.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:19 AM

5,792 posts, read 3,143,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Can anyone else relate?
I just don't have the need to have a mini computer on my wrist. Nor do I wish other people would have that need. It is getting overdone having to be connected.

I went from a desktop to a laptop. I have a laptop, added an iPad, added the smart phone. Added a new car a couple of years ago that I can pull my iPhone into and get all sorts of fancy stuff. I don't need anymore. I am connected enough.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:24 PM

4,986 posts, read 1,305,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I just don't have the need to have a mini computer on my wrist. Nor do I wish other people would have that need. It is getting overdone having to be connected.

I went from a desktop to a laptop. I have a laptop, added an iPad, added the smart phone. Added a new car a couple of years ago that I can pull my iPhone into and get all sorts of fancy stuff. I don't need anymore. I am connected enough.
I can see your point. I believe that while the manufacturers' intent was in fact for people to be "more connected", it is consumer's belief that they will be more discreetly connected and may more subtly screen calls, messages, as well as respond accordingly - or not.

Unless you had a VP like my old boss:

*someone yawns* - "Am I boring you?"
*someone checks their watch - "Got somewhere more important to be?"
*someone checks their phone - "Do you have something more important to do?"

He paid so much attention to the meeting attendees it's a wonder he had any bandwidth to police what came out of his mouth

Old 01-06-2020, 12:24 PM

7,392 posts, read 2,687,006 times
They are clunky looking. Even if I had one, I'd probably just have it in my pocket, but then what is a smartphone for?

Old 01-06-2020, 12:48 PM

6,548 posts, read 2,991,341 times
I'm not going to stop wearing a wristwatch. If I have to reach in my pocket to check the time, what I pull out had better have a solid gold chased hunter case and be on a gold chain with an enameled fob of my lodge emblem.

I'm not going to put Dick Tracy's wrist radio on my arm, either. Anything that has to wait till I get back to my desk or laptop, will just have to wait. Is it really important to know when exactly Stu Sutcliffe left the Beatles, RIGHT NOW?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM

10,997 posts, read 13,891,604 times
I think they look tacky.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM

11,565 posts, read 14,574,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think they look tacky.
Google the Samsung Smartwatch, I have one and have gotten compliments on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or