U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 AM

11,264 posts, read 13,275,990 times

Advertisements

Let me start of by saying that there are lots of good people I know who wear them. In fact, I think very highly of many of them. Sometime I even wish I was more like these people.

But fashion-wise, they just don't work. Not sure why. Especially since I like digital watches, even rectangular ones.

Can anyone else relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 10:12 AM

11,036 posts, read 5,829,811 times
I'm not in love with the aesthetics of my smart watch, but the functionality far outweighs my dislike of the look. I found a few bands that I like much better than the one the watch came with, and I switch them out on occasion.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:20 AM

11,040 posts, read 8,824,924 times
I hate the look of smart watches and I’m a watch fan. However I’m seriously considering the Apple Watch. Unlike most other smart watches and fitness tracking watches, the Apple Watch will give you a medical alert to seek medical assistance when it detects a dangerous heart rate or unusual arrhythmia. It will also sense a sudden fall and a lack of motion for a period of time before initiating a call to 911 reporting your GPS location.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:13 PM

32,092 posts, read 17,676,900 times
LOL. I've been wearing a smart watch for years now and even I get tired of it. But I like data so I keep wearing it. It is distracting with phone/text messages, etc. I have an old Fitbit Blaze (no longer made) and I have dozens of different colored watchbands.

When this finally dies - maybe I'll spring for an Apple Watch

Old 12-21-2019, 01:33 PM

11,570 posts, read 14,582,932 times
I have a Samsung that I really like. It's a smart looking watch, no pun intended. It's not clunky looking at all. I like being able to take a call if I can't find my phone. It has the sleep info, workout info apps as well. I've always worn a watch(boomer) and like the feel of it. Plus, makes you feel like Dick Tracy talking into your watch! (Google it.)

Last edited by Copanut; 12-21-2019 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: pour spilling

Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM

3,284 posts, read 713,974 times
To me they tend to look a bit bulky; more like a probation ankle bracelet than a watch. I think that may throw off the visual balance. Perhaps if they looked more like a wide cuff bracelet?

Old 12-21-2019, 05:50 PM

5,029 posts, read 1,321,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Let me start of by saying that there are lots of good people I know who wear them. In fact, I think very highly of many of them. Sometime I even wish I was more like these people.

But fashion-wise, they just don't work. Not sure why. Especially since I like digital watches, even rectangular ones.

Can anyone else relate?
Despite other smart watches being available, I feel it was the Apple Watch that evoked the penultimate "how DARE you!" from some luxury and fashion watch brands. This meant that people with money burning a hole in their pockets were now split between classics and a smart watch (and small status symbol) now compatible with the phone in nearly half of cell phone owning Americans' pockets.

You can't check your text messages, notifications, answer, or place a phone call on your Rolex. Sorry. The dream perpetuated by the likes of Inspector Gadget was irresistible when it came to fruition.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:31 PM

19,292 posts, read 24,180,962 times
Quote:

Can anyone else relate?
I'm not sure but I'll tell you why I hate them - they are UGLY. Might be the same reason.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:43 PM

44,208 posts, read 54,376,092 times
Quote:

Can anyone else relate?
Lol.

I thought you were gonna not like them for the reason I don't.

They're still half-baked, functionalality-wise.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:21 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,904,041 times
I have no desire for one. My daily watch is decidedly old school... an automatic Omega Planet Ocean, James Bond edition from the movie "Skyfall." It has a clear glass backing so you can see the movement inside, the craftsmanship is just top notch. Can submerge to 600M underwater, and it's tough.

I'm in my 40's, when I was growing up, a nice watch was a symbol that you'd made it. Now, it doesn't get any attention except from people who are in the know, but that's fine with me. I'm generally the type that likes the latest and best tech, but not for a watch or phone. All of my watches are automatic... which means that even a cheap battery powered quartz Casio is likely more accurate over time than my watches, but that's not the point for me. As a guy, I don't "accessorize" like women do with shoes, a purse, earrings, etc. My watch is it, and a smart watch just isn't stylish or classy at all to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or