U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:17 PM

7,106 posts, read 3,340,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's cold until you allow yourself to acclimate. Our bodies are quite adaptive.
Lol!! Been in my area for half a century. Not once have I acclimated to feeling cold . We are not reptiles who's bodies adjust.

Op: I find that having the extremities warmed keep the rest in line. Warm foot wear, hand warmers, scarf and yes sometimes a cap. Amazing how much heat is lost when a hat isn't worn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 08:01 AM

11,748 posts, read 5,488,887 times
When I first moved to Long Island from SW Florida in the late 70's, I was 22 and always freezing. While born in NYC, I was only 5 when we left. I was wearing open toed shoes even when it was cold. I never wore closed shoes or boots in Florida. Once I started wearing socks and boots or even just a pump with my pantyhose (we wore them back in the day) I felt much warmer. Even now that I'm back in Florida, if my feet or legs are cold then I'm cold everywhere.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 PM

1,086 posts, read 562,878 times
I don’t run cold but I have to spend a lot of time in cold places (hockey mom). Keep your feet warm. This is one of the keys. Wear Uggs if you have to. Fleece lined leggings and jeans can help. I don’t have jeans like this but I just saw a blogger raving about old navy fleece lined jeans I think. Athleta and Lululemon both have cold weather or fleece lined leggings of high quality.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:50 PM

4,214 posts, read 1,886,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Jeans are usually made of cotton which isn't a warm fiber at all. Something wool would be much warmer. Also, stay away from synthetic materials like polyester, there's no warmth in that.

Wool socks? Warm toes might help?
Plenty of warmth in both cotton (think waffle weave long underwear) and polyester (fleece!). It depends more on the weave than the fiber. Thin, flat, loosely woven fabrics don't hold the heat like something with loft.

My feet are plenty warm, I even have (fake) fur lined boots. I have stylin' leopard print gloves, scarf, and hat. I have a variety of fleece vests and jackets that I top with a hooded windproof jacket when needed.

It really is just my legs. I experimented the other day, wearing tight fleece leggings under loose fleece pants. I was still cold, so added some over the knee legwarmers (made from a bulky sweater). Three layers kept my calves toasty, but my thighs were still chilly!
And there was no windchill because I was indoors. Heater was set at 62, so I turned it up to 67, and was fine. So long as I don't go outside at night --there's been frost on the roofs every morning lately.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,251,070 times
Ai yi yi! I'd freeze to death at 62 and 67 isn't much better to this old lizard. No wonder you're cold. I keep my thermostat at 72 and that's as low as I can tolerate indoors unless I'm scrubbing floor grout or something energetic like that. Do you have tile floors? That doesn't help with the ambient temperature in cold weather, not that there's much you can do about it.

I've found that the fleece leggings work best under jeans, rather than the loose fitting fleece pants. The loose fitting ones seem to create a draft when walking around, or just allow too much cool air underneath them and between the layers. I also wear two pairs of socks, one cotton and one wool, pulled up over the leggings. That really helps to keep the warmth in and the drafts away. I do the fake-fur lined boots too.

When I'm outdoors, I find that heavier jeans work best. Not all jeans are created equal. The "fashion" jeans are a lighter weight denim than "work" jeans, i.e., Wranglers and the like. So I have summer jeans and winter jeans. Really makes a difference.

And I tell myself that in 4-5 months we'll be complaining that it's getting too hot! Makes me appreciate the cooler weather (sort of).

Old 12-31-2019, 06:31 PM

2,494 posts, read 577,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I don’t run cold but I have to spend a lot of time in cold places (hockey mom). Keep your feet warm. This is one of the keys. Wear Uggs if you have to. Fleece lined leggings and jeans can help. I don’t have jeans like this but I just saw a blogger raving about old navy fleece lined jeans I think. Athleta and Lululemon both have cold weather or fleece lined leggings of high quality.

Ita on fleece lined leggings or tights.....if it's for working out in colder temperatures & you will be outside for a longer time. LL Bean has the moisure wicking to keep you dry & warm....(Primaloft). They are awesome for skiing......& super cozy.....but more expensive.

Old Today, 11:51 AM

12,867 posts, read 3,331,131 times
A long coat to cover you down to your knees, then add tall boots to cover you up to your knees.

Old Today, 02:51 PM

6,425 posts, read 2,938,622 times
First thing, put on a hat.

Then, wool pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty