U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many different brands of makeup product do you use daily?
1-3 6 27.27%
4-6 7 31.82%
7-9 5 22.73%
10+ 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 06:32 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,523,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I wear less makeup at work......more if I'm going out for a drink or out with my fiance ofc. Does anybody wear the same makeup for all the stuff you listed tho? IMO....no........

What stays the same for me is skin care tho.....& mascara...lip color. I add more eye & face makeup....& maybe false lashes... for going out for a drink or social events & dates. Lip colors change too..........
You're probably right, no one wears the same brand for all the products we put on our face today. Back in the day, Mary-Kay (MK) was my go-to brand. Mary Kay used to be BIG in make up. My dress-up look was MK foundation, mascara, and lipstick. When not dressing up, my everyday look was just MK mascara and lipstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would think that the number of products used daily would be more interesting. Who cares about the brands? No one sticks to a single brand of cosmetic, anyway. There are far too many different ones out there. Who can keep track?? I couldn't even begin to name all the brands that are in my makeup drawer and I wear very little.

As far as daily, I wear a tinted moisturizer (either ELF (which is discontinued damnit) or CG Smoothers), an eyebrow pencil (several brands - NYX or ELF or I don't even know) and Nars blush. That's it.

Guess I am no makeup addict.
No, miss goody-goody, you don't sound like an addict...yet. lol.
Today's make up trend is to use many products. For example, primer. Initially, I thought that was just a marketing trick to get more money out of us. Back in the day, Primer was what you used only when you're painting a wall a different color than what it was. Now days, cosmetic primer is a necessity for me. It helps my foundation STAY ON LONGER.

Product loyalty is out the window. That might have been what started me on the road to make up product addiction. I'm always open to finding which product works best for me or looks best on me so I use a lot of different ones. Eventually, I'll stop sewing my wild oats in make up and settle down with one or two brands that I can bring home to mama.

Not to mention, Sephora and Ulta send me emails daily with discounts and specials plus the points I earned from purchases qualifies me to choose FREE products. I end up with even more new brands to try. So much makeup, so little time.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Good point but concern unfounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Hmm. You might count up your annual costs some time to see how much you are spending on makeup. Is it really worth the expense?

Is it good to be “addicted” to anything, you think?

What if you took half of the thousands you were spending on your face every year, and saved it? Just asking.
I live on a budget. I have a retirement savings and emergency savings that I contribute to per pay period. My makeup purchases comes out of my discretionary income.

Addictions in general aren't good but if it's benign, like this one, no worries.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:31 PM

10,887 posts, read 5,742,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm working my way up to Anastasia brow pencils. I saw a brow tutorial on YT and loved it. I looked in the product list and noticed that it was Anastasia brow pencil and gel. Of course, I added to my personal wish list. When I checked on the price, it was more than what I wanted to pay so I bought a cheaper brow pencil instead (I try to live on a budget). It's still on my list though.

Color Pop is new to me. My first time seeing it was last week at Ulta. Most of their product was sold out but the prices were so inexpensive that I was tempted to buy for myself, what they had left, just to try it out. However, I resisted the temptation, I was there shopping for Christmas gifts for someone else, lol.
There are some cheaper brow pencils that if I had to be on a budget, I could live with. The Ulta brow pencil for example. But I always seem to go back to the ABH pencil. It's the easiest to work with and looks most natural. I'm going to be able to retire my pencil though ... I just had my brows microbladed a couple of weeks ago. I'll probably be able to get away with just brow gel.

Colourpop has great eyeshadow palettes. The formulation is super blendable, and the prices are great. The last year or so, they've been pumping out palette after palette, but a lot of them aren't really practical for the everyday wearer. Ulta only carries a fraction of their products. I would suggest checking out their website. I will say however that I don't care for their pressed glitters. There's actually large flakey chunks of glitter that could get in your eye too easily. The shimmers are wonderful though.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 PM

10,887 posts, read 5,742,998 times
Quote:
"Polished" is a good word for it, thanks hertfordshire. It makes the skin look natural not overdone. Overdone, super thick and heavy foundation was the previous makeup trend. Not any more. Regardless of how pretty you may be naturally, the current makeup trend gives you a "polished look".

My skin glows with make up and I receive many compliments regardless of where I am.

When my face is done, I feel ready for the world! I feel the same way you'd feel after a good workout in the gym or a good run (for those who are runners). In RL, I run, work out, and wear a makeup face (when not working out) to greet the world everyday. Having a made up face gives me the same type of natural boost that working out does.
Yep. Exactly. Since I've started wearing makeup regularly about 3 years ago, people have been telling me that I look 10 years younger. It's such a confidence boost! Putting on makeup in the morning feels good!

I think I've told this story before on this forum, but my recent makeup journey started shortly after my father passed. I was looking for a recent photo of the two of us, and it was slim pickings. The most recent photo was taken about 5 years ago on a vacation I took with my parents. I wasn't wearing any makeup and had let my hair air dry (I was on vacation! I thought I looked just fine!). When I saw the photo I was taken back by how tired and haggard I looked, even on vacation. Here is this photo that should mean the world to me, and I can't get past how terrible I looked. That was when I started watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, and discovered that I actually enjoy the artistry of the application. The process actually has a similar effect on me as a strong cup of coffee. I feel more awake and alert.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,504,064 times
I'm not an addict... I'm .... dependent!

Old 12-31-2019, 12:55 PM

14,863 posts, read 21,444,593 times
I couldn't imagine doing all those steps every day to put make up on. I have better things to do with my time

Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM

653 posts, read 281,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I couldn't imagine doing all those steps every day to put make up on. I have better things to do with my time
It might seem time consuming but you can get it down to an art. I get up early to go to the gym and since I leave then to go to work, I have to be ready before I leave. Makeup takes about 5 - 8 minutest to apply at the most. Swipe, swipe, brush, fluff, smooth, check. Tadaa. Add in the hair (another 10 min) and you are polished and good to go! The breakfast and morning Bible study (then bath) take wayyyyy longer than hair and makeup.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:46 PM

2,494 posts, read 577,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My fake eyelashes allow me to wake up pretty for 3-4 weeks and I don't use anything else on my eyes.

Do you have lash extensions Eve? I use Liquid Lash Extensions mascara & haven't done the extensions thing...but I have thought about it. I love th cc or d curl or something dramatic but I prefer temp lashes for special occasions or going out only because I wouldn't want that look at work......

Old 12-31-2019, 06:53 PM

2,494 posts, read 577,593 times
Quote:
You're probably right, no one wears the same brand for all the products we put on our face today. Back in the day, Mary-Kay (MK) was my go-to brand. Mary Kay used to be BIG in make up. My dress-up look was MK foundation, mascara, and lipstick. When not dressing up, my everyday look was just MK mascara and lipstick.

I wear & try lots of different brands.....but I mean.....nobody wears the same makeup products for every day wear they would wear on a date or to work or to a class or outdoor activity. IMO it changes depending on the day....where I'm going......how much time I have...what I'm wearing.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or