Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have any strange or unusual fashion habits you're willing to share? Or, you've seen some and wonder WTHeck?

As I was rearranging shoes, I started thinking about the strange / unusual fashion habits I have. For a background reference: I'm a professional career woman and (way) past age 35+.

- I'm tall for a woman (5'7) so I often will wear a dress as a blouse. Pants or skirts are worn with the dress.

- I wear a slip under my tunic blouses (long blouses & dresses which I wear as a blouse) with pants. It actually gives body to the tunic makes it wear better. It doesn't cling.

- I collect and wear cartoon or colorful socks with long pants covering so no one knows it but me but they're so fun. (Ex: black socks with pink Bette Boop faces in the shape of hearts, turquoise/beige/fuchsia horizontal stripes, pink socks with small white hearts, etc).

- I wear shape wear or spanx with all skirts and dresses regardless if they're fitted or not.

- I'm very OCD about fingernails and polish. I believe that if polish is worn, they must be perfectly polished or leave them natural. As soon as I notice even the smallest chip in the nail polish of ONE nail or my natural nail is growing slightly past the polish, I will RUSH to use polish remover and take off the color on ALL of my nails, even the ones with no problem, until I can do them all over / or get to the nail shop. When I see teen and women of all ages with their nails in various stages of chipped polish or grown out a lot (need refilling), I wonder how they can stand it.

- (I used to think this was just a teen's fad because I noticed it first back when PINK sweat pants were popular), I wear sweat pants with the waistband turned DOWN because the crotch of the pants hang too low. otherwise.

- I wear two watches daily on the same wrist. Well, actually one is a digital steps tracker-watch AND the other is a traditional watch. People are always asking me why am I wearing two watches.

That's all I can think of for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I like to be barefoot, if that’s a fashion thing. But Chucks will always look/feel good.

I tend to like a 50s/rockabilly look on myself and on women.

I’m a watch wearer. I feel naked without one. Not luxury watches, mind you, but there’s something about a watch which I like.

I wear flat caps a LOT.

My fav pants are dickies work pants.

As for wtf fashion things, please don’t get me started

Old 01-20-2020, 07:06 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Hmm, not that I care that much about fashion, but I did have a little "statement" I wore for at least 10 years. An official aluminum Canada goose leg band. Perfect size for a ring. Little numbers and "Avise Bird Band, USFWS, Washington DC" stamped across it. I happened to have been the one who banded the goose the year it was hatched and the one who found the band again a few years later. It finally slipped off my finger while I was crossing a river a couple of thousand miles from where it originated. I was really crushed. Used to wonder if anyone ever found it again to continue its story.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-20-2020 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I like to wear a jacket or sweater to make my outfit complete.

I like to repeat colors, at least once, in my clothes. It pleases me that the trim on my new glasses is close to the color of my new crossbody bag.

And, I carry crossbody bags exclusively.

I have not worn nylon stockings or tights in almost a decade.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Lol! I like to wear colorful underwear. I never thought anything about it until I was in the operating room in a hospital gown and someone commented on it.

I never got used to wearing watches. I'd wear one and still ask someone else for the time. Bracelets bother me too,but I will occasionally wear one.

I also prefer colorful socks.

I prefer my blouses and dresses to be colorful too. I apparently trend towards floral or paisley or blue and mustard or all black.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
I collect art deco dress clips (a jewelry of many decades past that never made a comeback). I clip them onto my berets and sometimes on a v-neck top.

I still wear watches as I hate relying on a phone to check for time. I like cuff watches the best but have different styles, and I change them out.

I've always liked to coordinate my makeup colors with what I'm wearing (red tones with red clothes, warm brown-gold tones with browns, etc).

Old 01-21-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Chucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I like to be barefoot, if that’s a fashion thing. But Chucks will always look/feel good.

I tend to like a 50s/rockabilly look on myself and on women.

I’m a watch wearer. I feel naked without one. Not luxury watches, mind you, but there’s something about a watch which I like.

I wear flat caps a LOT.

My fav pants are dickies work pants.

As for wtf fashion things, please don’t get me started

Although I don't own any, I love Chucks. The times when I see adults wearing them are when I'm in creative environments, it's creative types: fine artists, directors, and years ago I went to hear a fashion designer speak (in NYC), Betsy Johnson. She had them on with a skirt, blouse, jewelry, it was a whole look. I loved it!

Old 01-21-2020, 11:19 AM

Bare feet? No, I'm too obsessive for that too. The only time I walk bare foot in when I'm taking a shower/bath or on the beach. Because I never go barefoot outdoors, my feet are extremely tender. When I walk along the beach like a toddler: teetering, tottering, and hobbling along as I feel every pebble and speck of sand piercing the bottle of my feet.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, not that I care that much about fashion, but I did have a little "statement" I wore for at least 10 years. An official aluminum Canada goose leg band. Perfect size for a ring. Little numbers and "Avise Bird Band, USFWS, Washington DC" stamped across it. I happened to have been the one who banded the goose the year it was hatched and the one who found the band again a few years later. It finally slipped off my finger while I was crossing a river a couple of thousand miles from where it originated. I was really crushed. Used to wonder if anyone ever found it again to continue its story.
That's such a sweet story.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Cross body bags when traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like to wear a jacket or sweater to make my outfit complete.

I like to repeat colors, at least once, in my clothes. It pleases me that the trim on my new glasses is close to the color of my new crossbody bag.

And, I carry crossbody bags exclusively.

I have not worn nylon stockings or tights in almost a decade.

I have a small cross body bag that I use when traveling; especially when traveling outside the US. It's the only type of bag I'll travel with.

I think I've worn nylon hosiery maybe 5x in as many years. I've replaced tights with hosiery because I wear skirts and dresses on occasion. Living in cold weather places, I have to keep my legs warm as much as possible. Tights are the answer for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty