U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 03:51 AM

992 posts, read 262,066 times

Advertisements

Well, I’m not young anymore and never had very full lips...a family trait. But, as I get older my lips are even thinner. I don’t have an issue with wrinkles, just thin lips.

I don’t want to get injections, so I’m wondering if anyone has had positive, consistent results with OTC lip plumpers. Any brand suggestions? I don’t want to buy everything in the store, and I really am not into wearing lipstick or gloss, just need some fullness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 11:32 AM

7,358 posts, read 2,665,978 times
It is due to the lack of collagen as we grow older. Yes, I notice my lips are thinning as well, but I haven't tried any of the lip plumpers. I thought I would try Lip Venom one day by DuWop - supposed to make your lips fuller and makes them rosy looking. Right now, I just avoid dark red colors, and wear more lighter lip color (pink brown) that have a semi-shine (not too much, I hate too much shine, it isn't the 1970s anymore with Bonne Bell lip shine stuff - those lip gloss rollers)

Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 PM

27,292 posts, read 34,207,676 times
Lip plumpers don't really do anything. Learn to live with your lips. (I have thin lips as well.)

Old 01-02-2020, 10:06 PM

992 posts, read 262,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Lip plumpers don't really do anything. Learn to live with your lips. (I have thin lips as well.)
Oh, I’ve learned to live with them, and I’m not looking for trout-pout, just curious about OTC products. I don’t really keep up with makeup trends.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:43 AM

2,506 posts, read 582,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Well, I’m not young anymore and never had very full lips...a family trait. But, as I get older my lips are even thinner. I don’t have an issue with wrinkles, just thin lips.

I don’t want to get injections, so I’m wondering if anyone has had positive, consistent results with OTC lip plumpers. Any brand suggestions? I don’t want to buy everything in the store, and I really am not into wearing lipstick or gloss, just need some fullness.

Too Faced lip injection extreme........I tried it several months ago & it's my favorite. I use clear....always under my favorite lip colors.......but you can use it alone.........

I love the difference........without injections........

Old 01-03-2020, 08:04 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,097,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
A lot of them plump your lips by irritating them. I feel the exact same with a lip plumper as I do when I have had allergic reactions- in fact, if I take something, that tingly lip feeling is usually the first sign I have that I need to take a Benadryl ASAP. Needless to say, I am not rushing to use that everyday. There are lots of reviews online that say that regular use is not the best for your lips. If you want to use them occasionally, that is fine. If you use the ones without irritating ingredients, that is also fine.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,506,983 times
Same prob here although I do have some vertical lines also. I've tried a few plumpers and they just didn't do anything and like RamenAddict said.. they work via irritating the lips but.. I got the irritation (slight burning) but no plumping.
So, one thing you might try is getting a really good lip liner as close to your natural color or the color of your lipstick as possible (I like Urban Decay 24/7 waterproof...it stays like concrete!). Line just outside your natural lip (too far outside of your lip looks drawn on. Just a bit looks natural) and then use a good, lasting, matching lipstick. I love love love Revlon Colorstay Overtime. That stuff stays! I'm telling you, I have female friends frequently comment.. "how have I been with you all day and you just ate an entire meal and your lipstick still looks perfect?" It comes in a box and is 2 parts, one is the color and the other is a sealer. This is what it looks like but it comes in a narrow see thru box - https://www.ulta.com/colorstay-overt...uctId=fs797198

I'm 62 and never wore lipstick much at all until the past few yrs because I couldn't stand it wearing off, moving around, smearing, etc.... Then my lips started to get thinner and shapeless so now I wear it almost every time I go out and with this stuff, I can pretty much forget about it after I put it on.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,203,129 times
my mom swears by adding a couple of drops of fresh pomegranate juice to make the lips look full (and taste good). I have tried it before. Only downside is that, you need to keep up with this routine, similar to Cleansing/toning/moisturising the face.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:19 AM

12,877 posts, read 3,337,324 times
Learn to wear eye makeup to emphasize your eyes and distract from your lips.

How are your teeth? Getting veneers or bonding builds them up, giving lips a little more fullness, plus if you have crooked teeth or gaps you will look better overall

Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM

2,506 posts, read 582,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of them plump your lips by irritating them. I feel the exact same with a lip plumper as I do when I have had allergic reactions- in fact, if I take something, that tingly lip feeling is usually the first sign I have that I need to take a Benadryl ASAP. Needless to say, I am not rushing to use that everyday. There are lots of reviews online that say that regular use is not the best for your lips. If you want to use them occasionally, that is fine. If you use the ones without irritating ingredients, that is also fine.

If you need to take Benadryl when you use lip plumpers.......you should stop using them.............

It depends on the ingredients used....& some have only 2% of active ingredient.....& others can have 10%. You don't want the full inflammatory reaction so if I was sensitive to it like you are.........& had to take Benadryl.......I would stop. Contact dermatitis is kind of rare tho with the normal use of lip products..........but you will know if you are having a bad reaction. Your lips will look red & rashy.....& you may have painful swelling too.

Like most makeup products....ofc I don't use it every day......just like I wouldn't use false eyelashes every day......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty