U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:22 AM

11,073 posts, read 6,763,773 times

Advertisements

In every photo I've ever seen, they were wearing hats. Never seen pictures like this before in England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 09:01 AM

3,924 posts, read 1,872,847 times
I’m from the north of England and I know enough of my heritage and history to tell you that many poor working class people couldn't afford hats and coats for daily use back then ( off the rack not being a thing) but shawls were easily made and adaptable and useful . A good coat and hat was reserved for Sunday best, not for going to the factory. Back in the day 5o’ 60’s and 70’s womenfolk wore headscarves to protect hair and to keep warm while standing at bus stops and walking to work. Working conditions at the coast ( very windy and cold) at the collieries ,fishwives and other outdoor places made a shawl a must.

Men wore cloth caps

Last edited by Spuggy; 01-03-2020 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 09:28 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,510,972 times
I know my family is from Poland... peasantry. My aunts and grandmother all wore this sort of thing but it had nothing to do with religion to my knowledge (they were Catholic). My grandfather came to the US via Ellis Island after fighting with the US forces in WWI. Like someone else said, a lot of pics of Ellis Island back in the day showed a lot of women with these. I think part for warmth and part for modesty.

I grew up with kerchiefs in fashion and actually wore one the other day because I was working outside, my hair needed washing and I was hiding under it, lol. When I was young women wore them while riding in convertibles which were more abundant at the time or when they had curlers in their hair during the day because they were going out that night. Eventually, they shrunk some and became do rags which they still are I believe. I was actually shopping for some kerchiefs about 4 days ago online.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM

753 posts, read 1,060,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Women in the US and UK also wore kerchiefs or scarves to protect their hair from wind or inclement weather.

During my lifetime, I saw this. These were usually women who "did their hair" in a "do" and had it done once a week.
Even in the 80s, it was not uncommon to see old ladies in the UK with headscarves, often covering a perm or hiding the lack of one. It used to be almost scandalous to go to church without a head covering. It has pretty much died out in the decades since.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 AM

21,009 posts, read 19,957,796 times
The Queen wears a scarf when she's out with her dogs or her horses. And my grandparents came from the north of England--if anyone thinks those poor, exploited English working class people were rich and fashionable when they were forced to work in the stinking mills...

The main industry in the north of England was textiles--men, women, and children worked at machines making them.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:57 AM

46,272 posts, read 44,614,535 times
This particular video channel, ilmfeed, exists to share and promote Muslim culture, so it isn't surprising that they are conflating these head coverings with hijab.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 AM

12,903 posts, read 3,348,457 times
Women have always worn hats, scarves, headbands for fashion, which constantly changes. Women with bad hair cover it up like bald men who wear hats.

The difference with Islam and Hassidic Jews is they aren't aren't allowed to show their own hair.

The problem is FORCING women to cover their hair or be punished, including women of different faiths.

Spot the difference?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:32 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,804,893 times
It's rare today to find even a Catholic nun in the U.S. wearing the full habit of yesteryear. You can still see them in old black & white movies, at Halloween parties, and in pro-Islamic propaganda, but they are largely confined to history.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:45 AM

80,993 posts, read 74,119,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I think the practice had a modesty component, too. Russian and Polish women wore babushkas, head scarves tied at the chin; "babushka" eventually became slang for grandmother or old lady. Remember all the pictures of Queen Victoria after Prince Albert died? She dressed in black and always covered her hair. In some societies married women did, or at least they kept it pulled back into a bun or braids; only the husband was allowed to see them with unbound hair.

So, it was never just a Muslim thing or even just a religious thing.
The word "babushka" is an affectionate or diminutive form of the word "baba", which means grandmother, or more generally, old woman. The same word herpahs became associated with the headscarf, because it was the typical garb of grandmotherly women. Though back in time, young peasant women wore them too...

Old 01-03-2020, 12:10 PM

11,605 posts, read 9,100,616 times
Women of all ethnicities have wrapped their heads for various reasons for hundreds of years. Nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty