U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:47 PM

11,073 posts, read 6,763,773 times

Advertisements

Headscarves wouldn't be uncommon, but had no idea they wore heavy shawls over their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,556,257 times
Working class men in the British isles, the US, and throughout most of Europe, wore jackets and caps, while women dressed in skirts, blouses and shawls, no coat or hat for the working woman, maybe a hat for church on Sunday if she could afford to buy one. On a blustery day, she'd of course pull her shawl up over her head to stay warm, and, as others mentioned, she'd prefer to keep her unwashed hair covered as she went through the streets. Women always covered their hair when doing dirty jobs, as shown in the video clip. Even middle class women wouldn't have washed their hair more than once a week if that often. In the Lancashire cotton mills of that era it was the norm for women to wear shawls and clogs on their feet. There was even a popular tune from the 30's
Clogs and Shawl, sung by Gracie Fields.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:23 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,896,254 times
It was customary for centuries for adult women to wear their hair up, and to wear some kind of headcovering. It may have originally have been a religious custom, but I think it evolved into just fashion.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:12 AM

10,431 posts, read 8,311,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Queen wears a scarf when she's out with her dogs or her horses. And my grandparents came from the north of England--if anyone thinks those poor, exploited English working class people were rich and fashionable when they were forced to work in the stinking mills...

The main industry in the north of England was textiles--men, women, and children worked at machines making them.
Indeed.

My late grandmother did too. As well as many women her age. Though it was more of an Eastern Christianity thing (since we come from an eastern Christian background).

Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 AM

19,207 posts, read 24,119,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Indeed.

My late grandmother did too. As well as many women her age. Though it was more of an Eastern Christianity thing (since we come from an eastern Christian background).
Those are silk kerchiefs - not religious head coverings. Both of my grandmosters had silk scarves and wore them to protect their styled hair from wind or rain.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:44 AM

29,934 posts, read 27,306,304 times
A lot of women (and men) wore hats and scarves in the old days but they were free to take them off or go without if they felt like it.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:49 AM

693 posts, read 895,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A lot of women (and men) wore hats and scarves in the old days but they were free to take them off or go without if they felt like it.

Not really true there. Up into the 1950s there was a strong social expectation that everyone would wear a hat outdoors, and for women often indoors too. We tend to forget this, but just look at any picture taken outdoors in past years (like the ones in this thread) and you won't see many bare heads. When I see a movie set in the past I always rate how authentic it is based on whether the people are wearing hats or not! I think they tend to skip this part of the costume because it makes everyone in the movie seem too remote and hard to identify with.

Example: they're all wearing hats and they all seem to buy them from the same place, too! But I suppose that's fashion for you.

https://artsandculture.google.com/as...oyh1VdgA?hl=en

Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 PM

12,903 posts, read 3,348,457 times
If you like medieval fashions, learn what a wimple and barbette are. It was immodest for women to show their hair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZUkk64E3M

Old 01-04-2020, 03:54 PM

48,825 posts, read 3,595,906 times
I think it was for practical reasons, such as keeping warm. Hats were too expensive, so a scarf or homemade shawl sufficed.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM

24,378 posts, read 15,744,402 times
I googled working English working class women and found several pics of women who did not have coverings on their heads. There is a pic of women working in cotton mills, with no head coverings. The first pic says these women worked at a cotton mill.

I question the authenticity of the first image. How could the women have worked in a factory with shawls on their heads? At the very least there seemed to be many English women who went bareheaded. Perhaps in the country, women wore shawls because they would not have had coats. I suspect this image is meant to deceive.

Hijab is a Middle Eastern tradition, that was never traditional in Western countries. Even Muslims in the former Yugoslavia wore Western style dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty