U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,637,861 times

Advertisements

My mum would tie a silk (or fake silk) scarf around her head for warmth. Even though it's thin and silky, you'd be surprised how much warmth it provided. It doesn't mess up your hair the same way putting a hat on does. I kinda wish it was still a trend!
And yes- you'll see women walking around with those on their heads when they have hair in curlers
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:54 AM

7,471 posts, read 4,650,955 times
My mother-in-law (German, but raised in Brazil and living in the California) was covering her hair with a scarf when she was still a young woman in the 1960s. She didn't like the wind blowing on her head, or in her ears, or or the sun shining on her. If it was too hot or too cold, which it apparently was almost every day, she tied a scarf over her head. I don't know if this was a cultural thing or not but her grandchildren tease her now because in old photos she is always wearing a "Tuch."

Old Today, 09:02 PM

10,430 posts, read 8,308,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've read enough and seen enough documentaries about English history, and the history of women, to know that it wasn't a thing for English women to wear those hijabs. Ever.
They did not wear hijabs, or at least headcovering in the Muslim sense.

Quote:
Maybe there were small groups of Muslims in England, when Muslim women wore them. I don't know. I'd have to look up England's Muslim history, if there is one.
These women are Irish workers (those coming out of the factory). They were definitely not Muslim immigrants. If that's what you're suggesting?

Quote:
Women in England did wear hats, as we all know. It was the fashion, even for working class women. Women in service for wealthy people also wore those small lacy or cotton hats of a sort atop their bunned up hair. (See Downtown Abbey or Upstairs, Downstairs.) Even in America, it was the fashion for women to wear hats. Partly fashion, partly to protect their skin. Even in the wild west, American women wore bonnets...to protect their skin from the harsh environment. The British monarchy women STILL wear hats. The purpose is different from a hijab: it's so that they stand out in a crowd (not hide in a crowd), their ruling class is easily identified, and sometimes doubling for protection from the elements.

Men also wore hats in England end of 19th Century/beg. of 20th Century.
Not quite. Shawls were worn by working class women, most of the time (to the least). 'Tea party' or 'Edwardian' hats were worn by the rich, upper class women, from what I noticed it in historic photos. Shawls have nothing to do with the hijab, of course.

Working class women:

Upper class women:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty