Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2024, 09:22 PM

678 posts, read 409,837 times

Advertisements

I was curious to get other people’s opinions on this, that is, would you consider Irish/Celtic people to be psychically attractive? When people think of Ireland they don’t usually associate it with having attractive or good looking people in the same way they would with somewhere like Greece, Spain, Brazil or Scandinavia. To me however, generally speaking I think Irish people are very attractive and are underrated when it comes to looks.

Being an island where the local people have been mostly secluded throughout history, Irish people tend to have quite similar features to one another, they’re generally recognised as having high cheekbones, thin lips, broad foreheads, and perhaps most notably, hooked-aquiline shaped noses. Many of these things to me seem to equate to what are generally considered attractive features, give or take a few. Good examples of people who have them (who themselves are Irish or are Irish-descended) include; Liam Neeson, Kevin Costner, John F Kennedy, Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Daniel Ratcliffe, John Lennon, Richard Harris, Michael J Fox, Cillian Murphy, Abraham Lincoln, Julia Roberts and Jocelin Donahue.

So with all considered, would you consider Irish people to be attractive and perhaps underrated as far as looks and beauty are concerned? Or am I way off? Regardless, thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 01-02-2024 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-03-2024, 03:10 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times
Hmm. I never noticed hooked noses to be a common physical trait of the Irish. But I tend to associate it with English and even Australians. What I have noticed about the Irish is that they come in many hair colors - blondish/sandy hair, reddish, and even black. And the black-haired ones often have striking blue eyes. But not all. Some have very dark eyes, too, and heavy brows (like Colin Farrell).

Yes, an attractive 'clan' of people, indeedy.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I was curious to get other people’s opinions on this, that is, would you consider Irish/Celtic people to be psychically attractive? When people think of Ireland they don’t usually associate it with having attractive or good looking people in the same way they would with somewhere like Greece, Spain, Brazil or Scandinavia. To me however, generally speaking I think Irish people are very attractive and are underrated when it comes to looks.

Being an island where the local people have been mostly secluded throughout history, Irish people tend to have quite similar features to one another, they’re generally recognised as having high cheekbones, thin lips, broad foreheads, and perhaps most notably, hooked-aquiline shaped noses. Many of these things to me seem to equate to what are generally considered attractive features, give or take a few. Good examples of people who have them (who themselves are Irish or are Irish-descended) include; Liam Neeson, Kevin Costner, John F Kennedy, Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Daniel Ratcliffe, John Lennon, Richard Harris, Michael J Fox, Cillian Murphy, Abraham Lincoln, Julia Roberts and Jocelin Donahue.

So with all considered, would you consider Irish people to be attractive and perhaps underrated as far as looks and beauty are concerned? Or am I way off? Regardless, thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion.
Noticing that you're from England, I'm wondering if you think there is much difference in the physical appearance between English, Irish, and Scots?

My understanding is there has been much movement and mixing between these areas. The Protestants in Northern Ireland originally came from Scotland. My ancestors were Catholics originally from Northern Ireland, but some were born in England.

For some reason, I do consider Irish to be more attractive than English or Scots on average, and to be more likely to have red hair and freckles.

BTW, everything I have read indicates that Lincoln's ancestors were of English heritage.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:00 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
"Psychically" attractive? Is this when they can read minds really, really well?

Old 01-03-2024, 08:13 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I was curious to get other people’s opinions on this, that is, would you consider Irish/Celtic people to be psychically attractive? When people think of Ireland they don’t usually associate it with having attractive or good looking people in the same way they would with somewhere like Greece, Spain, Brazil or Scandinavia.
I haven't seen many people in the US associate Greece or Spain or Brazil with attractive people. I don't buy your premise about them or about how the Irish are perceived. And I presume you mean physically, not "psychically".

Old 01-03-2024, 08:15 AM

8,490 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

This. But it’s too wide a net to cast anyway. Are Americans attractive? Some, of course. Others not so much.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-03-2024 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-03-2024, 08:23 AM

678 posts, read 409,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I haven't seen many people in the US associate Greece or Spain or Brazil with attractive people. I don't buy your premise about them or about how the Irish are perceived. And I presume you mean physically, not "psychically".
Did I make that typo? LOL, yeah I meant physically.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:31 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Physical attraction is largely a function of age, dress, and how well you keep fit in my opinion. There are beautiful and ugly. people in every country. I don't think I can tell the difference between, Irish, Scottish and English

Old 01-03-2024, 09:10 AM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Physical attraction is largely a function of age, dress, and how well you keep fit in my opinion. There are beautiful and ugly. people in every country. I don't think I can tell the difference between, Irish, Scottish and English
This ^ (bolded).

This thread has been cleaned up, deleting inappropriate and off-topic posts. Because the thread would only continue to go downhill, it's now closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.