U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,039,094 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 and I've never had a makeup habit/routine/whatever. I cleanse, tone, moisturize and that's it. Unless I'm fancying myself up for some kind of a special party or something, and I want to look a bit nicer than usual, but even then it's pretty minimal.

A little makeup goes a long way on my face. And I struggle...I mean, really REALLY struggle...to find any that I can even stand to wear. It feels like gunk on my face, especially lip products seem to dry my lips and feel all cruddy and disgusting, and I am not in the habit of keeping my hands strictly away from my eyes so if (when) my eyes itch, I'll probably smear my eye makeup to kingdom come. Wearing powder on the other hand, in general, makes my nose itch.

Yes, I have bought quality products, I've also tried the cheap stuff, most of what I've bought and tried has been "hypoallergenic" and yet, still. I think I'm just so very unaccustomed to wearing makeup, that I can't deal with the sensation of it. It's annoying.

And I like my face, bare. And I've always felt like, you know, all these men walking around in the world, free to get older, free to just let their faces hang out like there's no shame in having a wrinkle or two. Why can't I do that, just because I'm a woman? Why can't I not only reveal my own skin, but actually love my face and my self, even as I age? Why not?

So. I am. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,389,626 times
I've always been into good skincare, and, like a few other posters, I spend a small fortune on it.

But I've never loved makeup, and I haven't worn much since I was in my 20s, and that was a long time ago. Haven't even bought foundation in over 20 years. To work, I'll wear tinted moisturizer, brow styler, and a little blush; on weekends, usually nothing.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM

10 posts, read 551 times
Since moving to Italy (I lived in ME), I use less makeup than before. Why? Well, when I was studying at a University in Rome, many professors said negative comments on people who use makeup. Two comments made were, "Wearing makeup is hiding the true face of a person." Or, "People who wear makeup are hiding, something." The professors had no filter and were very disrespectful in many conversations.
So, I did change how much I apply and which colors are suitable in different situations, such as events or when I go to work.
In the U.S., I was never judged nor disrespected for what I applied on my face. I don't think it is the Roman culture, it is the people who are narrow-minded and really hate where they are in their lives.
Glad to have graduated from the place because it was very uncomfortable and you could not be yourself, for the most part of my studying experience in Rome, Italy...

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Mind you, I certainly don't have anything against people wanting to wear makeup. I raised an eyebrow at one lady I knew who didn't even want a best friend to see her in the morning without any on, she literally felt like her face was hideous and not to be viewed by anyone without it...that's taking it slightly far in my opinion... But hell, I'm envious of the makeup skills of some of the women (and drag queens, even!) that I know. I really feel it can be an art form, and it's not one that I am skilled in.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

2,549 posts, read 590,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Frankly I'd like to see the cosmetics industry not so successful in their marketing, and that people were more accepting of the faces we were born with, warts and all.

IMO the use of cosmetics doesn't mean we aren't accepting of our faces or ourselves.....but that's your interpretation & thank you for answering....

Makeup is meant to enhance tho...not replace....& add to our feelings of femininity & sex appeal. It can't change what isn't already on the inside but it adds to it. IMO....if somebody takes the time to look & feel their best.......they probably have more self esteem than the person that ignores that part of their life.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,205,297 times
Love my makeup. since I work among a lot of people, i wear lighter shades on my lips. I could never master the smokey eye technique though. Would love to learn that one.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO the use of cosmetics doesn't mean we aren't accepting of our faces or ourselves.....but that's your interpretation & thank you for answering....

Makeup is meant to enhance tho...not replace....& add to our feelings of femininity & sex appeal. It can't change what isn't already on the inside but it adds to it. IMO....if somebody takes the time to look & feel their best.......they probably have more self esteem than the person that ignores that part of their life.
No it doesn't automatically mean that one is not accepting of their face, but it does mean that to some people, and I think it's a little sad in those instances.

I think it's fantastic as a choice that makes a person feel beautiful and enhanced. I think it's sad when someone feels that they would actually be ashamed to leave the house or be seen without makeup. And I have known a very few women who felt that way about it.

Wearing makeup because you want to = cool!
Wearing makeup because you think you HAVE to = Really?

And I do think that the beauty industry is a bit out of control in how it affects the way that women see ourselves and what we feel we HAVE to do, to be valuable as female people. I would like to see a day where a woman could cure cancer and not be the subject of a news report that critiques or discusses her appearance. Nothing wrong with wanting to be made up and feminine and pretty...but also nothing wrong with wanting to be something else. You know?

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

2,549 posts, read 590,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

And I do think that the beauty industry is a bit out of control in how it affects the way that women see ourselves and what we feel we HAVE to do, to be valuable as female people. I would like to see a day where a woman could cure cancer and not be the subject of a news report that critiques or discusses her appearance. Nothing wrong with wanting to be made up and feminine and pretty...but also nothing wrong with wanting to be something else. You know?

Ita....but we can be feminine & pretty....A N D be something else at the same time ofc. Our appearance isn't who we are....makeup or not....but it can reflect how we are feeling on the inside & our health just like maintaining a healthy weight....exercise.....daily hygiene.....skin care.......

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

4,876 posts, read 2,106,567 times
Quote:
No it doesn't automatically mean that one is not accepting of their face, but it does mean that to some people, and I think it's a little sad in those instances.

I think it's fantastic as a choice that makes a person feel beautiful and enhanced. I think it's sad when someone feels that they would actually be ashamed to leave the house or be seen without makeup. And I have known a very few women who felt that way about it.

Great post. My best friend has high self esteem, but she has no interest in makeup whatsoever. She worked in a sterile environment for 15 years and now works with software developers. I wear makeup when I want to, but I don’t feel like I have to. I leave the house more often than not without makeup. I have a high self esteem. I want people to see me more than just a face or body. I was brought up not to be super focused on looks. My mom only wears eyeliner and mascara and has been like that since I can remember.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

1,185 posts, read 551,232 times
Quote:

Yep.

I naturally have very red/pink cheeks (mild rosacea) - it was cute when I was a kid, but as an adult, I literally could not go out in public without people commenting on it. "You have really red cheeks!" "Are you OK?" My mother forbade/discouraged makeup (she does not wear any) so I had no experience with it. I tried foundation at a friends' Mary Kay party in my early 20's and never looked back. It pretty much ended the constant unsolicited feedback and I noticed I got treated much more respectfully in general once my complexion was more normalized.

In addition to that, I also use eyebrow pencil. My brows are not as full/thick as they used to be due to a few bad waxings where the esthetician got carried away, so my face tends to look washed out otherwise. I sometimes wear mascara if I have in-person meetings at work, since it seems like recently my eyes are starting to look a bit old and tired. I have to be careful though, since I'm also prone to forgetting about it and then rubbing or touching my eyes and smearing it.

Otherwise, I only wear eye makeup (shadow, liner, mascara, and also lip gloss) if I'm going out or doing a ballroom dance performance. And I get WAY better treatment when I'm wearing all that makeup, which is why I always scoff at claims that people prefer the natural look. Not mine they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or