U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM

2,549 posts, read 593,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Great post. My best friend has high self esteem, but she has no interest in makeup whatsoever. She worked in a sterile environment for 15 years and now works with software developers. I wear makeup when I want to, but I don’t feel like I have to. I leave the house more often than not without makeup. I have a high self esteem. I want people to see me more than just a face or body. I was brought up not to be super focused on looks. My mom only wears eyeliner and mascara and has been like that since I can remember.

If you want people to recognize we are more than our looks as women.......you can't scrutinize or judge those of us with makeup anymore than you can do that to women that don't use it IMO........you can't have it both ways....

Lots of women that don't use makeup have low self esteem or problems with depression.....when they don't care about their appearance or don't have the energy to do anything about it. Some women that have to wear lots of makeup all the time have a self esteem problem too. It can go both ways IMO..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 AM

4,881 posts, read 2,108,777 times
You put that women who wear makeup probably have more self esteem than women who don’t wear it. I don’t think there is a correlation. My sister wears no makeup. I could laugh for days if someone told me she has a self esteem issue.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 20,959,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I still wear foundation and powder and lipstick

Had to quit the mascara. They stopped selling Max Factor 1000 Calorie Mascara here in the states and I don't like anything else. And seems all you can find is water proof - no thanks. I don't want to be tearing at my eyelashes trying to take that stuff off.
I loved that Max Factor mascara!

I just found a tubing mascara from No7 at Target. Comes off easily with warm water. And is pretty cry proof, which is kind of nice. Exactly the opposite of what you think from a mascara that comes off in warm water. It’s called Stay Perfect.

I don’t wear makeup every day.

I despise foundation all over. And tinted moisturizer — it’s never moisturizing enough, and if I use my regular products, it’s too much. I wear a little light foundation instead of concealer around my eyes, which no matter which one I try it’s too heavy. A little shimmer under my eyebrows. Blush, eye brow pencil and mascara and tinted balm. Boy I miss Burts Bees. They use soy, and I’m allergic to topical soy.

My sister is a makeup maven. Right now she loves IT’s CC cream. She uses bronzer, eye brow pencil, eyeliner pencil (another think I’ve never mastered), mascara and sheer lip color. She has more mascara than Ulta.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You put that women who wear makeup probably have more self esteem than women who don’t wear it. I don’t think there is a correlation. My sister wears no makeup. I could laugh for days if someone told me she has a self esteem issue.

It can go either way IMO like I said in my previous post. I wear makeup...some days more...some less....but I don't judge self esteem on it. It's silly to do that......when some of the ladies in this forum are expressing that they don't want to be judged for not wearing it........but some judge those that do too....

E d i t: I said in an earlier thread section tho......."IMO....if somebody takes the time to look & feel their best.......they probably have more self esteem than the person that ignores that part of their life." That's *NOT* saying women that wear makeup have more self esteem.......

Old 01-07-2020, 11:54 AM

6,005 posts, read 3,391,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
No it doesn't automatically mean that one is not accepting of their face, but it does mean that to some people, and I think it's a little sad in those instances.

I think it's fantastic as a choice that makes a person feel beautiful and enhanced. I think it's sad when someone feels that they would actually be ashamed to leave the house or be seen without makeup. And I have known a very few women who felt that way about it.

Wearing makeup because you want to = cool!
Wearing makeup because you think you HAVE to = Really?

And I do think that the beauty industry is a bit out of control in how it affects the way that women see ourselves and what we feel we HAVE to do, to be valuable as female people. I would like to see a day where a woman could cure cancer and not be the subject of a news report that critiques or discusses her appearance. Nothing wrong with wanting to be made up and feminine and pretty...but also nothing wrong with wanting to be something else. You know?
Very true.

Who doesn't want to be feminine and pretty?

On the other hand, I sometimes think about what women would be able to achieve collectively if we spent just a little less time thinking about, and taking care of, our appearances. And spending less money on it all, too.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:29 PM

13,292 posts, read 8,043,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Very true.

Who doesn't want to be feminine and pretty?

On the other hand, I sometimes think about what women would be able to achieve collectively if we spent just a little less time thinking about, and taking care of, our appearances. And spending less money on it all, too.

I don't always want to be feminine, and pretty isn't always even the word for it when I do! Actually when I wear makeup, I'm more often shooting for powerful, elegant, a more sexy, dark, or even gothy kind of femme look. Which I've always pulled off more successfully than a "pretty" with lighter shades. But that's the coloration I'm working with, having the paler version of an olive skin tone (I don't get much sun these days, but I tan nicely when I used to) and dark hair and eyes.

I judge no one, shame no one, I just want for people to feel happy and comfortable in our bodies, able to achieve validity in whatever ways are meaningful to us, and not driven to perform to some socially-driven standard of looks just to feel OK with who we are. I don't like the side of beauty marketing that convinces anyone that they are NOT OK as they are, and need to spend money to measure up. I hate the notion that a woman is invisible unless she is "young" and beautiful, and that if she is those things, then she'd better not try to be taken seriously for her intelligence or achievements either. It can be hard to express that without coming off as though I'm putting down women who enjoy being beautiful (with makeup or without it!)...but I'm really not trying to do that. It just bums me out how most of us are our own worst critics, and the most beautiful women I've ever known are still self conscious about what they perceive to be unforgivable flaws in their looks. This includes me wishing I could go back and smack my own younger self, you know, as a teenager, even at 115 lbs, I'd sit and if I slouched my belly would have a crease in the soft flesh there and I would think, "ugh, I look fat." What the hell? Everyone's stomach does that! But I can sit here thinking that my younger self didn't know how good she had it...yet go to the restroom and look in the mirror and fuss about flaws that nobody else even cares about...and in 20 years I'll be thinking I was an idiot for not appreciating what I had today. And probably someone will still look at my future self and think that I am beautiful. But it's more likely it will be someone other than me. Why? I often think I should work on changing that. No need for me to be too full of myself, but I don't need to put myself down either. Too many of us do.

And makeup...it can be part of a positive mindset, or part of a negative one. I want to embrace the positive and encourage others to, as well. Life is too short and all.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM

13,318 posts, read 15,860,411 times
I wear eyeliner and mascara every day whether I go anywhere or not. Always have.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 535,731 times
When I worked I wore makeup daily. I have been retired 8 years and hardly ever wear it now.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't always want to be feminine, and pretty isn't always even the word for it when I do! Actually when I wear makeup, I'm more often shooting for powerful, elegant, a more sexy, dark, or even gothy kind of femme look. Which I've always pulled off more successfully than a "pretty" with lighter shades. But that's the coloration I'm working with, having the paler version of an olive skin tone (I don't get much sun these days, but I tan nicely when I used to) and dark hair and eyes.

I love to be feminine....I can't not be feminine & I have a straight sexual orientation ...BUT ofc there are different lifestyles & gender identities that don't want to be. That was really part of my question & reason for my interest tho in my O.P. Lots of nurses don't wear a lot of makeup at work.......but most of us usually have on a BB cream & a little lip color...mascara at least. Some of the female nurses that are gay don't wear makeup at all.........& they are very open about why. A N D I've seen gay males that will wear it......so possibly gender identity makes lots of sense IMO....

Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM

11,408 posts, read 15,010,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO the use of cosmetics doesn't mean we aren't accepting of our faces or ourselves.....but that's your interpretation & thank you for answering....

Makeup is meant to enhance tho...not replace....& add to our feelings of femininity & sex appeal. It can't change what isn't already on the inside but it adds to it. IMO....if somebody takes the time to look & feel their best.......they probably have more self esteem than the person that ignores that part of their life.
That's a major part of the issue I have with the expectations about wearing cosmetics. You feel it's perfectly fine to say that women who don't want to wear make up are somehow lacking. Why is it so difficult to just accept that maybe some women don't feel a need to 'enhance' their faces? That they are perfectly fine with the way they already look?

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-07-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or