U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 PM

3,672 posts, read 1,860,192 times

Advertisements

When I was working, I wore light make-up most days. I've never done much to my eyes because they've always been sensitive, but as I've aged that sensitivity has gotten worse, and if I use any facial products with sunscreen, for example, it makes my eyes feel gritty, and it sometimes leads to headaches and sinus issues. If I'm just hanging around the house and only going out to the grocery store, I put nothing but moisturizer on my face. If I'm going to be around other people who are not family, I'll use concealer, blush, an eyebrow pencil, maybe some mascara, and something on my lips. If it's a big event or wedding, I'll make more of an effort. My late teens and college years were during the back-to-nature era and hardly anyone I knew cared about make-up. If someone wore a lot of make-up, they were thought to be a bimbo. Seriously, natural was in, and I'm sure that impacts my make-up choices to this day.

Last edited by Gorges; 01-07-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM

8,021 posts, read 4,273,060 times
I still do what I've always done. A little blush, mascara, and lipstick or lip stain. Not so much now that I'm at home more, but almost always when I go out. It only takes a jif.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM

2,554 posts, read 593,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's a major part of the issue I have with the expectations about wearing cosmetics. You feel it's perfectly fine to say that women who don't want to wear make up are somehow lacking. Why is it so difficult to just accept that maybe some women don't feel a need to 'enhance' their faces? That they are perfectly fine with the way they already look?

I didn't say this & you are misunderstanding me totally.......if you look at my reply post to Ramenaddict & my words all together in context & not just what you highlighted, I was saying "IMO....if somebody takes the time to look & feel their best.......they probably have more self esteem than the person that ignores that part of their life." That's *NOT* saying women that wear makeup have more self esteem! I was saying if somebody *ignores* this aspect in their lives totally....like hygiene, hair care, exercise & skin care with or without makeup.....they probably are lacking some self esteem.....

Taking the time to look & feel our best tho.. can mean anything from exercise & eating healthy to grooming hair & showers....it's not just makeup! It includes makeup *for me*....but for somebody else it doesn't have to. For some women looking their best is without makeup. Why would I judge other women & my friends? I have so many gay friends at work that don't wear makeup...or very little..............and I know some gay guys at work that do. I don't even wear that much makeup when I'm at work....sometimes just BB cream, mascara, & lip color....why would I judge somebody else for not wearing it?

We are all perfectly fine..........not just the women that don't wear makeup but those of that do too....there's no reason to have an "issue" IMO.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 15,010,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

We are all perfectly fine..........not just the women that don't wear makeup but those of that do too....there's no reason to have an "issue" IMO.
I have an issue with the expectation, and there is certainly an expectation.There's a lot of pressure on women to wear it. A whole industry surrounds it, and I've been on the receiving end of a lot of judgement and criticism, implied or otherwise, for not wearing it. I thinks it's a problem that I sometimes feel that not wearing it when it's expected costs me.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,509,769 times
I just turned 65 and I still wear make-up. I use a lighter hand than when I was in my 20's but I rarely leave the house without at least mascara, eyebrow filler, blush & lipstick. It takes 2 minutes and perks up my whole face. I'm letting my gray hair grow out instead of coloring it so IMO it's even more important to not look washed out.

If I'm going someplace more than just the grocery store, I do more than what I stated above and add foundation, shadow and sometimes eyeliner.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

15,791 posts, read 9,172,464 times
I don't wear makeup. I never have. I'm almost 43, with dark skin from my Indian background. In fact, because I refused to wear makeup, I refused to work a posh retail job I was initially hired for because the female manager wouldn't stop insisting I wear it.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 1,896,254 times
I inherited lovely skin, so never needed a base coat.
I used to wear eye makeup daily and occasionally lipstick, but when I left corporate jobs, I got out of the habit. I tossed what makeup I had when I moved two years ago.

I actually have a large collection of nail colors and eyeshadow, but I only use them for crafts.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,079,147 times
Age 65 here. If I'm going "out," I'll put on eyeliner, mascara, and lip color.
As far as foundation, blush, eye shadow, concealer, nope; no more. Not even for New Year's Eve. I've paid those dues.
And if you don't think I'm stunning without all that stuff, you must be blind, pal.

Last edited by Zenstyle; Yesterday at 12:36 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

38,453 posts, read 47,341,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I’m going out, I wear a tinted moisturizer. No amount of makeup would make me beautiful again, but a bit of coverage to even out my skin is the least I can do. I wear lipstick, but that’s it. Ive just started using a DHC product, which is a moisturizer that gives my skin a nice glow. It’s too soon to tell if I can go without anything else yet.
After a week of use, I seriously love the Urumai cream from DHC. I plan to get the soap and lotion that goes with the cream when I reorder. My skin gets easily irritated and some products burn my eyes. This does neither.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

1,017 posts, read 398,259 times
I only wore makeup in my late teens through early 20s. I wore mascara and coloured lip balm the longest, but now I don't even do that. I do have some 2 year old mascara that I should probably throw out. I used it twice I think. Which is really expensive per use!

My lifestyle makes it impractical, and it's not something I feel I need or am interested in. I work with animals and my hobbies are mostly sweaty. So yeah, it would be a lot of time and effort to keep my face painted.

My skin care routine is to use plain water or a bit of Ivory soap on my face in the shower, and some Neutrogena cream when it is super dry out and my face feels itchy (it's the only one I've found that even in my 50s makes me break out). That's it.

I have no self esteem issues, trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or