Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've never been much into makeup. Never wore it daily. Would mostly only wear it when I went out or to an event. Even then it was usually just mascara, eye liner, and blush. Now, I rarely wear it at all.

I figured if I didn't wear makeup all the time then no one would be surprised by my looks when I didn't wear it (if that makes sense?).
That totally makes sense to me. My aunt was an Avon lady for years and her make-up was perfectly done every day without fail. She always looked great with her hair, make-up and clothes. My sister and I were staying overnight at her house when a call came in after midnight that her daughter was going to the hospital earlier than expected to have the first grandbaby. We were in total shock when our aunt came downstairs to answer the phone and we saw her without make-up for the first, and only, time. She had no eyebrows, no lips, very little skin color and looked like a ghost in comparison to her usual made up self. Who was this woman?!?

I can still remember exactly how my aunt looked that night and my shock, some 50+ years later. I loved her dearly, but she is the reason I choose not to look radically different with and without make-up.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-11-2020 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 09:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't always wear makeup but I've started playing around with it more now that I'm letting my hair go to it's natural grey/white color. I'm pale so I need some color somewhere!

Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have seen lots of ladies in Fashion & Beauty & other threads that don't like makeup or think it's a waste of money....or because they are older....I've seen that too in this forum. So.....I want to take an informal survey & just ask if you don't wear makeup, what's the reason? Is it expense....or you just don't care.....or it's "too girly" for you.....or you did when you were younger but you don't think it's necessary or matters now?

As a lifestyle & beauty vlogger.....I get questions all the time about "simplifying" or fresh looks ....(& I love doing videos to answer those questions).......but hardly anything from girls & ladies of all ages that use *no makeup*.......ofc, they probably wouldn't be watching my channel tho......
i don't wear makeup, and never have worn it
at around age 10 or 11 i remember when other girls started trying out makeup and talking about it I asked my mom about it. She said "You don't need that stuff." End of conversation. So I have never used make up. There was none in the house. My mother did not use it. except for she did use lipstick (i never did) and she did use nail polish. that was it.

so i played with nail polish in high school, but that was all. nothing since then for many decades of my adult life. i do remember my mother had beautiful soft skin her whole life, and i remember people commenting to her (in the way kids overhear things growing up) about how lovely her skin was.

i have been happy being without make up. it has saved me a lot of money. and my skin tends to be sensitive to chemicals in things like soap so it has helped my skin too. over the years dating, several gentlemen have commented they prefer it when women do not wear a lot of make up.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I used it but don't like the way it is pushed on women, especially by Mary Kay sales ladies. Telling them they must wear foundation, heavy lip liner, three shades of eyeshadow and two coats of mascara. It's a very outdated, "dragon lady" look.

Ita.......I don't like Mary Kay.....or Youngevity...or any of the direct sales brands. They are pushed through the internet....& if you happen to have friends that sell it, they are always trying to "push" you into buying. High pressure IMO........

Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i don't wear makeup, and never have worn it
at around age 10 or 11 i remember when other girls started trying out makeup and talking about it I asked my mom about it. She said "You don't need that stuff." End of conversation. So I have never used make up. There was none in the house. My mother did not use it. except for she did use lipstick (i never did) and she did use nail polish. that was it.

so i played with nail polish in high school, but that was all. nothing since then for many decades of my adult life. i do remember my mother had beautiful soft skin her whole life, and i remember people commenting to her (in the way kids overhear things growing up) about how lovely her skin was.

i have been happy being without make up. it has saved me a lot of money. and my skin tends to be sensitive to chemicals in things like soap so it has helped my skin too. over the years dating, several gentlemen have commented they prefer it when women do not wear a lot of make up.

Thank you......it's nice to get a post that answers my question!!! I can totally see how it would save money.....& if you have sensitive skin. A N D men are just as different as women.........some like it on us....some don't. Thank you!

Old 01-13-2020, 06:18 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
My wife is 51, never wears makeup, never smoked cigarettes, never used illegal drugs, and she has baby soft skin. On special events she will wear a light amount of makeup. People tell her she looks nearly a decade younger than her actual age.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I'm in my 40s. I never really wore makeup (I think there was a brief stint in junior high when my friend wore very heavy makeup and I briefly got on the bandwagon of foundation and eye shadow ). Once in a while, I'll put on a little BB cream or something, and very occasionally some eye liner. I don't need blush, and I have a bad reaction to every mascara I've ever tried. I don't do lipstick, but for very fancy events I will put on some lip gloss (if I have any).

I don't wear it because I'm just not into it. Once, early on in our relationships, my husband said he thought I'd be a knockout with makeup on. So a few times I wore makeup. He didn't notice. So.....

My mother wore some eye makeup and lipstick on special occasions. My older sister wore (and wears) makeup all the time. She used to try to put makeup on me (she BEGGED me and tried to force me), and I wasn't having it.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Several posters in this thread have used the term "BB cream." What is that?

Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Several posters in this thread have used the term "BB cream." What is that?
It is short for “beauty balm” and is kind of like tinted moisturizer with more coverage.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:27 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My wife is 51, never wears makeup, never smoked cigarettes, never used illegal drugs, and she has baby soft skin. On special events she will wear a light amount of makeup. People tell her she looks nearly a decade younger than her actual age.
yes, i remember touching my mom's cheek and it was so soft, like a peach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty