Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:02 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Any way, I have a sister that is 4 years older than I am that is a 'dress for success' type of person. The only time she isn't wearing makeup is when she goes to bed. And if she is caught without it on, which is a rare occasion, it's like awkward moment for her. She also won't wear an outfit that costs less than $300.00, because that is the world she is in. She would not be happy in any other world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
$300 for an outfit is nothing. Anywhere outside Old Navy or Gap is going to be more than $300.

Decent shoes are $200.
I'm sure that's right. She gifted me a pair of flip flops, I googled the price, $80.00. And I thought who in the world would pay $80.00 for a pair of flip flops --- ?

My post was so as to relate, two sisters, two worlds, two pov.

The fashion industry is a world that is lost on me, but not on her. My great niece, her youngest grand daughter (has a youTube fashion channel) is living in New York attending some fashion designer school. And I probably didn't portray the expense of a nice outfit in today's price accurately. I am not a shopper.

When I was posting I was thinking of a time, (over 20 years ago) when she needed a high end outfit for work, and she was still an up and coming --- she ate popcorn for a month, just so as she could afford it. Now that is dedication to 'dress for success' and she is not alone for doing that, for sure. (no need to express her net worth today)

The fashion industry with their makeup trends is a competitive market. The more 'naturals' though that emerge it will be interesting to see how or if, it reinvents itself.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-10-2020 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: line spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 08:17 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,401,039 times
Quote:
I'm sure that's right. She gifted me a pair of flip flops, I googled the price, $80.00. And I thought who in the world would pay $80.00 for a pair of flip flops --- ?

**Raises hand***

Vionics are AMAZING! I gladly pay that much for them.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
**Raises hand***

See I had to go look at what I had --- these are MK and I don't find "them" that comfortable. Maybe, the reason she gave them to me.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:49 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
I used to wear foundation every day, when I worked. Although I still have several types of makeup, I don’t feel as though they match well or look natural. I always guess wrong on the color, and then I’m out another $12. or so. So I wear tinted moisturizer now, and it’s good enough.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:53 PM

270 posts, read 208,942 times
I don't wear makeup but I am in aww how people wear makeup. It's a magical transformation from what I see on youtube. I would be like wow, wish I can do that...but then again, I'm lazy on that part. I only wear makeup when I go to wedding and my sister applied for me. I'm sensitive to anything that put on my face. My eyes will become watery, I feel hot can't breath, feel there are critters crawling on my face. I try to take care of my skin but the only product I can use is Neutrogena face wash.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 PM

505 posts, read 580,812 times
I wear less makeup in my life because I'm finding I dislike the feel of it on my face. I have an excellent skin care regime and can get away with sunscreen being my base, with light blush and eyes done when I feel like it. Sometimes I hate covering up my skin - red LED light treatments and supplements have transformed it into clear, glowing skin.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,564,796 times
I'm in my 60s, and have stopped wearing make-up except for special occasions. What is the point? I do wear tinted sunscreen in the summertime, and tinted lip balm in the wintertime. If I were still working a regular job I would wear makeup, but my volunteerism is all behind-the-scenes, so there doesn't seem to be any need to worry about looking like anything other than what I am au naturale. I do usually dress nicely, though, even though I'm not wearing make-up.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,051,673 times
Quote:

My post was so as to relate, two sisters, two worlds, two pov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
**Raises hand***

ME!! Raises hand also!!

The only flip flops that last for me and don't blow out are Tori Burch and Jack Rodgers. My TB have outlasted all my others with the exception of an old pair of Rainbows.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,333,025 times
I used it but don't like the way it is pushed on women, especially by Mary Kay sales ladies. Telling them they must wear foundation, heavy lip liner, three shades of eyeshadow and two coats of mascara. It's a very outdated, "dragon lady" look.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,953,259 times
I’m almost 70 and still enjoy wearing makeup and dressing well. It is a creative outlet for me. Amount and how dramatic depends on the place or occasion.

I have regular facials and take care of my skin, keeping it moisturized. Everyday at least a brush over of Guerlain Meteorites, eyeliner and lipstick. My eyebrows are still dark so no need for pencil unless a more formal occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty