U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 02:34 PM

5,764 posts, read 384,857 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you just don't know if you're wearing unflattering colors unless someone tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,480,003 times
Lucky we live Hawaii, we can not only wear any color, but we can wear them all at once. Ha!

As for which colors match the skin tone, it doesn't really matter - except right next to the skin tone. Wear what you want and if it's not a color that looks good next to the skin put something there that does.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:04 PM

24,454 posts, read 15,775,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would suggest that your wife have a couple of outfits either made by a seamstress or else modified by a seamstress.

I had two dresses that looked good but not great on me. The colors were perfect but not the shape. A seamstress made slight modifications at their waists and shortened each of them by two inches and it made a tremendous difference. They went from looking good, past great to absolutely fabulous on me. I can't tell you how many compliments I received on those outfits after only slight (fairly inexpensive) changes.

My adult daughter has had several outfits made by a seamstress. You get to pick the exact color and fabric that you want, the exact shape, style and length that you want, the sleeves and neckline that looks the very best on your shape, etc. etc.

Have your wife try that. Good luck.
I second that. I don’t wear dresses anymore. But for my child’s wedding a number of years ago, I bought a dress and had it altered to fit perfectly. Just make sure that bustline and hips fit. You can take in seams, but you can’t add in! And of course you can’t make a short dress long.

I have fit problems too. My solution is jeans. They come in all sorts of colors and sizes. You can usually find a brand that fits. The worst for me is trying to put together an outfit for weddings and funerals.

Back to color. I think wearing pleasing colors is more important to some of us than it is to others. I am comfortably in the Spring category of the Color Me Beautiful system. I do wear chambray blue and faded denim colors as well. I wear my share of black, because often that is all I can find. The worst combination for me is wearing black and true red together, and I look terrible in harsh, cooler pinks.

I think the important thing is to be happy with what you are wearing. And what I think looks good on you, might be what you hate. We get to choose how to present ourselves.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:14 PM

12,378 posts, read 20,974,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Go to Macy's and Target
It doesn’t matter. The disconnect between designers and real people is vast. You need to learn to do your own tailoring.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:17 PM

15,892 posts, read 14,286,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am more curious, how someone decides what looks good and criteria of what good is?
Far I know, it's usually "I look into the mirror" or hold something in hands and decide - yes, this will be good! I do not recall much of asking someone else - Do I look good in this? As what someone believes is good look and what OTHERS see quite commonly is very different.

Usually, results are what you see out there on people.

Of course, goes down to philosophy - do I dress for myself and don't give, or I dress to look good in others eyes, or, I gave up on any looks and don't want to be noticed(75% of what I see)

It's as science kinda...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGjQWIDBzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_ie8PUXGI

Last edited by erasure; 01-12-2020 at 06:58 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

11,829 posts, read 5,523,306 times
I had my colors done years ago in New York and was told I should wear jewel tones. When I do I always get compliments. But I also get a lot when I wear peach. I will never wear brown, yellow, mustard or lime green. I wear a lot of black in the cooler months.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

7,660 posts, read 4,248,912 times
What I think is that I'm no one to judge what others wear. Esp when I look at old photos of myself and see what horrendous things I was wearing, but thought I looked great at the time.

I do like bright colors, so I tend to wear those a lot in spring & summer. I wear dark colors (maroon, navy, forest green) in autumn & winter. I think I'm a winter, but not a true winter with the very dark hair & blue eyes and fair skin. So I can get away with some autumn colors, I think.

I look the worst in those pale muted summer hues (sage green, muted lt blue). But I can wear those crisp, cool light colors, like pale true pink, pale true aqua, light true green, etc.

I don't tend to notice what others are wearing very often, unless it's horrendous or spectacular. Just like I don't notice (or criticize) what others are eating or how, unless there is something that stands out (like chewing w/mouth open, or being too persnickety about eating manners). I have enough to worry about with myself.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

32,938 posts, read 61,392,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think about people who wear colors that don't match their natural skin tones? (Cool or Warm)
I think it's no one's business but the person wearing the clothes.

That you're so bothered by it says more about you than it does about the person wearing the "offending" color.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

8,330 posts, read 3,036,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Gray and black make me look pekid/peaked. I look best in bright, warm colors and lighter shades of olive green; forest green is too dark for me.

And I can't wear any shade of green (except teal) next to my face. Somehow my complexion just draws up that green, and then I look like I'm sick and ready to throw up. It's not a good color on me at all...next to my face. I don't even own any green clothes. LOL

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

4,245 posts, read 1,903,737 times
Back in the '80s, I was chosen to go on stage at a color presentation. How flattering! Turned out, I was the "what not to do" example.

I learned a lot that night, then had my colors done, and got "Color Me Beautiful", too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or