Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My hair has been falling out and I'm wearing a very light platinum blonde wig. I've noticed just about every color looks good with the wig, and somehow the wig being lighter than my skin tone evens everything out so I can wear every color without looking sickly or washed out. I haven't tried yellow or orange yet because I generally avoid those colors.
That's interesting how hair color can also affect this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 09:35 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I think the test for determining skin tone is to look at the veins in your wrist. If they are blue, you are Cool, if they are green, you are Warm. I seem to have both but look better in warm tones.

But everyone can wear most colors but make sure they match your skin tone. There are warm pinks, closer to peach or coral, and there are cool pinks, close to lavender.

When in doubt, I will compare two different reds and you can usually spot the difference.

Most people look terrible in black, by the way. It sucks the color from your face and washes you out. The exception is women with very dark hair.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't pay attention to that sort of thing. I have to wear black at work, it's not that flattering on me but as a result i have a lot of black clothing and don't think about it too much. I go for fit and style over color, unless it's yellow or pink, two colors I just do not enjoy.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is not a hard thing to know.
I can’t imagine caring. I don’t need to know. I don’t require this information to get dressed every day.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-12-2020 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I don't think anything about them. People sometimes just wear what they like, and don't care if it's the most flattering.

I'm very pale, and pastels of any shade are generally unflattering on me, but I also don't particularly like pastel shades, and prefer more saturated colors, so it works out fine.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I actually look great in black and dont look “washed out”. Black is probably half my wardrobe. Then again I have darker skin. I guess my lighter completed mom has that washed out problem?

Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I actually look great in black and dont look “washed out”. Black is probably half my wardrobe. Then again I have darker skin. I guess my lighter completed mom has that washed out problem?
Yes. I can’t wear black around my face. It makes me look feverish, as it brings out the redness in my cheeks, and makes me paler.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You don’t have to be fashion conscious to notice that chrome yellow does not look good against a peachy complexion. There is a way of classifying skin tones and their most flattering colors which was started in the ‘80s with the publication of Color Me Beautiful.
This thread caught my eye because my wife is a big believer in that dang book. Unfortunately most of the colors it suggests actually make her like sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Oooh I like many colors that don't look good on me haha. And when I shop for clothes it's not easy to find:
1.something that FITS my body
2.something in a color that looks good on me
3.it's affordable

Like the saying goes "choose any 2"
Ah, my wife's constant dilemma. Why are so many women's clothes made for Barbie since few women over the age of 13 have that shape? It's so hard for her as a grown women with two kids to find clothes that for Christmas I've given her a "I will take you shopping to any store you want and let you pick out a wardrobe" rather than me buying something that won't fit. Sad part is, after I've taken her and she's tried on dozens of items, she winds up with just a pair of jeans and maybe a tee shirt. Then she's just depressed the rest of the day because she can't find anything that fits and looks good on her. Breaks my heart to see her so sad that she can't find anything nice that fits.

Seriously, the stores where she can find the best looking clothes for her are Cabela's or LL Bean. Both of which are focused on outdoor clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yes. I can’t wear black around my face. It makes me look feverish, as it brings out the redness in my cheeks, and makes me paler.
Yep, my wife is that way. Just can't wear black around the face.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This thread caught my eye because my wife is a big believer in that dang book. Unfortunately most of the colors it suggests actually make her like sick.

Ah, my wife's constant dilemma. Why are so many women's clothes made for Barbie since few women over the age of 13 have that shape? It's so hard for her as a grown women with two kids to find clothes that for Christmas I've given her a "I will take you shopping to any store you want and let you pick out a wardrobe" rather than me buying something that won't fit. Sad part is, after I've taken her and she's tried on dozens of items, she winds up with just a pair of jeans and maybe a tee shirt. Then she's just depressed the rest of the day because she can't find anything that fits and looks good on her. Breaks my heart to see her so sad that she can't find anything nice that fits.

Seriously, the stores where she can find the best looking clothes for her are Cabela's or LL Bean. Both of which are focused on outdoor clothes.

Yep, my wife is that way. Just can't wear black around the face.
I would suggest that your wife have a couple of outfits either made by a seamstress or else modified by a seamstress.

I had two dresses that looked good but not great on me. The colors were perfect but not the shape. A seamstress made slight modifications at their waists and shortened each of them by two inches and it made a tremendous difference. They went from looking good, past great to absolutely fabulous on me. I can't tell you how many compliments I received on those outfits after only slight (fairly inexpensive) changes.

My adult daughter has had several outfits made by a seamstress. You get to pick the exact color and fabric that you want, the exact shape, style and length that you want, the sleeves and neckline that looks the very best on your shape, etc. etc.

Have your wife try that. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:39 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Ah, my wife's constant dilemma. Why are so many women's clothes made for Barbie since few women over the age of 13 have that shape? It's so hard for her as a grown women with two kids to find clothes
Go to Macy's and Target
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty