Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 03:31 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,718,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you are basically frumpy and dumpy, no two-piece swimsuit is going to look really great. On the other hand, for whatever my opinion as a straight woman is worth, I think Kidman looks like a skinny 12-year-old in that suit and not my idea of an "incredible physique."
That was my first thought. “Incredible physique?”

It is a cute suit, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM

20,244 posts, read 14,473,951 times
When I saw "retro style bathing suits" I wasn't thinking of what the photo showed. I don't care for that. But I'm not a huge fan of any sort of bikini, really. I feel oddly paranoid in them, like I have to pick and pluck and fuss about what might be falling out of where. And I don't even have a lot of anything to BE falling out of anywhere...maybe that's part of the problem. I don't feel I've got big enough curvy bits to fill it properly. Anyhow, I don't care for it.

What I DO like in terms of "retro" inspired swimsuits, are only really retro in the lower cut around the legs and I freaking adore these... I own the one in the first link, and I want to own the one in the second. Also it's goth couture swimwear which suits my sensibilities just fine. Bit pricey if it's not on sale, but still...

https://heavyred.com/collections/swi...e-bathing-suit

Both are one-piece though, because as I said...I find bikinis insufferably uncomfortable. Anxiety inducing, even.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM

6,400 posts, read 3,879,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Every person is different. Not everyone is proportional with respect to the upper and lower body. I have a long upper body and shorter lower body, so something that shortens my upper body is not a negative. I have plenty of room in the torso as it is.
I have an almost-freakishly long upper body, and anything high-waisted still makes me look weird and cut-off. Perhaps still freakishly-long and cut-off, but cut-off just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Poor thing looks like she needs a good meal or two, but the TV & movie folks have a tendency towards skinny. It's a nice swimsuit, I'm glad she's not running around with floss for a swimsuit like some folks seem to try.
She looks like she goes to the gym and has muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
That was my first thought. “Incredible physique?”

It is a cute suit, though.
A lot of people don't look that good in their 50s, let's admit it. A lot of people don't look that good when they're younger. (A lot of people don't have the money and time she has for personal trainers...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
When I saw "retro style bathing suits" I wasn't thinking of what the photo showed. I don't care for that. But I'm not a huge fan of any sort of bikini, really. I feel oddly paranoid in them, like I have to pick and pluck and fuss about what might be falling out of where. And I don't even have a lot of anything to BE falling out of anywhere...maybe that's part of the problem. I don't feel I've got big enough curvy bits to fill it properly. Anyhow, I don't care for it.

What I DO like in terms of "retro" inspired swimsuits, are only really retro in the lower cut around the legs and I freaking adore these... I own the one in the first link, and I want to own the one in the second. Also it's goth couture swimwear which suits my sensibilities just fine. Bit pricey if it's not on sale, but still...

Both are one-piece though, because as I said...I find bikinis insufferably uncomfortable. Anxiety inducing, even.
For long-waisted people, it can be the opposite! Talk about picking and plucking (and possibly wondering if you're going to get cut in half...).

Old 01-13-2020, 05:38 PM

102,073 posts, read 107,051,957 times
OP, those are everywhere, now. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a selection. OK, Ive never seen one with the ruffle across the top, but those high-waist bottoms aren't hard to find. I don't see those as being worse than the bottoms that are made to look like little girls' underwear. Only America markets "bikinis" that look like little girls' underpants. Most other countries follow Brazil as the trendsetter, and Brazil is into string bikinis that now are mostly string, lol. "Dental floss" bikinis, they're called.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Poor thing looks like she needs a good meal or two, but the TV & movie folks have a tendency towards skinny. It's a nice swimsuit, I'm glad she's not running around with floss for a swimsuit like some folks seem to try.
My thought also. I think she has a pretty face, but she could gain 15 lbs. at least. Probably 20. because she's incredibly tall.

To me, the bathing suit is ugly. When I think "retro" that isn't at all what comes to mind.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 AM

5,419 posts, read 3,975,354 times
Way back in the early 70's, my stepmom had a vintage swimsuit, probably from about 1940 or so. Pink gingham check, woven fabric. Only swimsuit I ever saw that was not stretch fabric. Let's hope that style does not make a comeback!

Old 01-14-2020, 12:25 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,109,832 times
A lot of hate for her body type. I think she looks great. She looks healthy. Thin with a bit of muscle. It is obvious she works out and takes care of herself.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM

20,635 posts, read 8,398,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hi waisted bathing suits - or jeans - flatter no one.

Although Nicole Kidman is not very well endowed, I would STILL be worried that one of those very skinny straps would come undone.
Those straps are just as skinny as most bikini tops.

Women with long torsos look better in high waisted jeans and bottoms. Not for anyone who is short waisted but I see those women fashion victims wearing the high waisted items because they are in fashion now.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,262,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Way back in the early 70's, my stepmom had a vintage swimsuit, probably from about 1940 or so. Pink gingham check, woven fabric. Only swimsuit I ever saw that was not stretch fabric. Let's hope that style does not make a comeback!
I can "one-up" you on that--my mother had a pink CORDUROY "sunsuit"!!

Old 01-14-2020, 04:37 PM

11,934 posts, read 8,260,020 times
In the Fifties my mom had a 1940s two-piece with sarong cut skirt that I just loved. It was cream-colored background with a pale green palm frond print. In my memory she looked like the woman on the right of this sewing pattern in it:

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Hawai.../dp/B00XDP2OVM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty