Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:19 PM

20,669 posts, read 8,430,038 times

Advertisements

I LOVE this cute, feminine bathing suit Nicole Kidman is wearing. I hope this style makes a big comeback. More flattering to more women than a sleazy bikini. No chance of it falling off either!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ith-Urban.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,037,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I LOVE this cute, feminine bathing suit Nicole Kidman is wearing. I hope this style makes a big comeback. More flattering to more women than a sleazy bikini. No chance of it falling off either!

A. That's offensive you are calling bikinis sleazy.

B. You have to be super skinny and have a perfect body to pull off those retro styles.

C. Those retro styles mostly have Brazillian bottoms so they are skimpy from behind.

Just because there was a lot of fabric doesn't mean a lot of people can pull it off.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 AM

14,229 posts, read 11,526,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A. That's offensive you are calling bikinis sleazy.

B. You have to be super skinny and have a perfect body to pull off those retro styles.

C. Those retro styles mostly have Brazilian bottoms so they are skimpy from behind.

Just because there was a lot of fabric doesn't mean a lot of people can pull it off.
No real objection to A (I have seen bikinis I would call sleazy, but certainly not all of them are.)

B doesn't make sense (you need to have a better body to "pull off" a swimsuit that covers more?), and C is not true.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:19 PM

20,669 posts, read 8,430,038 times
Stretch marks on the abdomen are covered, which would appeal to many women.

A company like Spanx could put in shapewear for the bottom half.

Less boob spillage out of the top.

I generally like a lot of retro styles in all clothing. Usually more flattering to the female figure.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:01 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,218,366 times
Well, it's still a bikini, just a more conservative one.

Note that actual competitive swimmers all wear one piece suits. Those really won't fall off.

The postage stamp bikinis are generally used by overweight women to show off that which really shouldn't be shown off.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:14 PM

16,372 posts, read 12,367,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No real objection to A (I have seen bikinis I would call sleazy, but certainly not all of them are.)

B doesn't make sense (you need to have a better body to "pull off" a swimsuit that covers more?), and C is not true.
B sort of does make sense. On a lot of "average" bodies, those bottoms are going to end up looking frumpy dumpy.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 11,526,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
B sort of does make sense. On a lot of "average" bodies, those bottoms are going to end up looking frumpy dumpy.
If you are basically frumpy and dumpy, no two-piece swimsuit is going to look really great. On the other hand, for whatever my opinion as a straight woman is worth, I think Kidman looks like a skinny 12-year-old in that suit and not my idea of an "incredible physique."

Old 01-12-2020, 04:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,037,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This is exactly it. I see full figured women trying to pull these off on the beach all the time (I live in South Florida and spend time on the beach) and it doesn't work. Plus the Brazilian bottom is for skinny butts.

They look best on super skinny women.

Think about the women who originally wore these bathing suits, they were skinny and wore them to make themselves LOOK more full figured.

Google 1950s pinup bathing suits.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:16 PM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

I like retro bathing suits. There are so many that look good on many, many women. This is not one.

I will post some of my favorite retro styles after I vent a bit. I first need to vent.

Before I clicked on the picture, I expected something really very different when you said "cute, feminine and retro". At 62, I know retro. I have never in my life seen a suit like that in my 58 or so years of being conscious of what women wear at the beach. It looks like a thin denim, of some sort. From your posts, I know that you tend to be conservative. I am not politically conservative, but when it comes to bathing suits, I'd prefer to see less than more. Not only of women, but of men. And on myself and when I was raising children, on them. No thongs, no speedos, no string bikinis. Not on mom, dad or them. Fortunately, I did not get any requests to wear these things.

The suit's designer may think the bathing suit is "retro inspired" but, other than the waist high, mom style two piece bottom, I think the designer missed the mark.

In the 50s-70s ( I can't be sure what decade the designer was shooting for) a two piece like that would have more coverage on top. It looks out of proportion. It would look better with a structured bra top bathing suit piece with actual straps, not strings.

People are saying few people could pull this suit, and I am agreeing - but I am including Ms. Kidman. She is so "dieted down" that the only thing that ugly two piece doesn't do, is make her butt look big. If she were at a normal weight, maybe 15 or 20 lbs. more - it would.

Large, full coverage bottoms make one's bottom look larger. I didn't make that up. I've read it and heard it. I tried on bathing suits to prove it, one way or another.
As it turns out, those fashion experts were right. Big bottoms of a two piece make your bottom look bigger.

I prefer one pieces. I had a C-section and short of a tummy tuck, there are few bathing suits that would make my post C section stomach attractive to me.

That suit looks like Daisy May slapped something together to dive in the ole' swimming hole. I am sure it's a $500 suit. When I think of what I could have done with the other $400!

Old 01-12-2020, 04:22 PM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times
Default added a second link

Here is a cute, fun, vintage inspired two piece that looks good on many women, I have one in Navy Blue polka dots. Ester Williams is a great source for vintage inspired suits - one and two piece. - https://esther-williams.com/product/...sic-separates/

This site has lots of retro swim suits - and in sizes for every one. Most of their clothes are on trend but modest https://www.modcloth.com/shop/swimwe...kI9Q&gclsrc=ds

Classic shops like LL Bean and Talbots are another choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty