U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM

7,753 posts, read 4,308,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Appreciate the concern, but I do get skin cancer checks. In fact, I've had several Moh's procedures for basal cell spots. I'm very fair and have skin damage from growing up in south Texas in the days before sunscreen. I avoid the sun like the plague now. This is all just cosmetic (in other words, coming out of my own pocket).

In fact, I called this morning and made an appointment with an aesthetician at a dermatologist's office, picked randomly from Yelp based on good reviews. I figured that was a good starting point. I look extra-horrible now because of cedar fever (pollen allergy in central Texas). It makes your eyes swell shut and your face puffy, itchy, and dry. Anything will be an improvement! I will report back.
If you avoid the sun, make sure you are taking calcitrate calcium pills, even if it's only one daily. And drink some milk every day. Many women start losing bone like crazy as they age.

The skin on your face is rough? Hmmmm.

Yes, I'd see what a dermatologist has to say. But not just any dermatologist. You need to find one that deals with cosmetic issues, so he has some knowledge about that AND about serious medical issues. But beware if he has a cosmetic dept in-house, where they sell "special" creams & such. DON'T DO THAT. They're overpriced, and you can get something similar OTC.

I tend to get spots. They're difficult to get rid of. I'm able to keep the lightest new ones at bay by using a Retinol cream OTC. There are also OTC fade creams, but they take months of use to see if they will even work. I lose patience before then.

I've heard that acid peels help with spots. They range from light (can do them on lunch hour) to heavy duty. I've never had one, tho. A dermatologist may have an opinion on that.

You're right that there are so many options out there for skin issues. I've been trying different things since I was a teenager. I'm over 60 now. I would advise to be careful not to start with anything too strong.

I do a lot of things to and for my skin. Not every day. I rotate things. I have sensitive skin, so I try not to be too harsh. I use:

Facial masks occasionally (different kinds, nothing too harsh - either deep cleaning or moisturizing; either wash off with water or peel off)
Night creams of various sorts (Retinol "treatment," followed by Alpha hyroxy serum, followed by Olay Regenerist firming/hydrating cream)
I use Roc Retinol day cream treatment w/spf, sometimes followed by another spf cream, followed by a lightweight moisturizer (in summer).
Gentle abrasive scrubs occasionally (a cream with a gentle abrasive product in it; I have some paper disks with built-in alpha hydroxy abrasive thingies in them). I read that as you age, the skin cells don't turn over as quickly, so it's important to get those surface dead cells off, so the creams can penetrate better, and the skin looks fresher.

I've used an OTC fade cream for a couple of spots, but I lose patience, so I've not used that enough to know if it works.

As for small red veins showing, if that's what you have: You can have those zapped away. I did that with prominent red veins around my nose years ago. They came back somewhat over time, but not like they were before. Some people are prone to broken veins, I think. I forget what kind of business did that, whether it was a doctor's office department or what.This is a common thing that's done, so should be easy to find someone who does that.

I went to a cosmetician a few times years ago for that process that is like resurfacing. What is that procedure called? I can't remember. It's a machine that rotates abrasive thingies on your face. It felt wonderful, and my skin looked rosy and good afterwards, but I stopped because it was breaking my veins. Like I say, you have to be careful something isn't too harsh for your skin. (You can buy home versions of that process that are a lot gentler...Olay, Neutrogena.)

But you need to start with a dermatologist to make sure you don't have roseacea or a skin condition. Those spots, which I think you said are rough?...could be keratoses spots. A derm. would probably recommend freezing those off. They can turn cancerous. Those spots are damage from the sun, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,263,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Try ketotifen eye drops, which you can buy OTC. Flonase also helps a lot with pollen allergy.

If you're in San Antonio, San Marcus or Austin, the allergist I see is great and they've got offices in all three cities, if you think an allergist would help.
I'm in San Antonio now. Oddly, I've lived in Austin or San Antonio for 40+ years and never had cedar fever until this year. No congestion, sniffling, sneezing, or coughing, but gee whiz my eyes and face blew up like a balloon. I'm not quite ready to look for an allergist but I will definitely check out the meds you suggested.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 PM

696 posts, read 629,839 times
You can completely transform your skin from the inside out. Assuming you are not vegan, you can supplement with hydrolyzed collagen daily. You can discuss that with your Doctor to make sure it won't cause any issues or contraindications. Getting your magnesium levels up through magnesium oil spray is another option as well. Just be careful where you spray it because it can sting (soles of feet is usually the least sensitive area). I'd advise discussing that with your Doctor as well, because it can contraindicate with some heart or blood pressure medication.

99% of the things I did that improved my skin were internal, but most focus externally and forget this.

Seven Minerals Aloe vera gel is something that really helps as well. People ask me what is wrong with my skin....because it is baby soft and I'm in my 40's.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 AM

15,641 posts, read 32,195,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
You can completely transform your skin from the inside out. Assuming you are not vegan, you can supplement with hydrolyzed collagen daily. You can discuss that with your Doctor to make sure it won't cause any issues or contraindications. Getting your magnesium levels up through magnesium oil spray is another option as well. Just be careful where you spray it because it can sting (soles of feet is usually the least sensitive area). I'd advise discussing that with your Doctor as well, because it can contraindicate with some heart or blood pressure medication.

99% of the things I did that improved my skin were internal, but most focus externally and forget this.

Seven Minerals Aloe vera gel is something that really helps as well. People ask me what is wrong with my skin....because it is baby soft and I'm in my 40's.
I totally agree with this ^^^. Many skin issues are internal, and doing things externally can either not help or make things worse. Especially with rosacea and issues of that nature.

Have a clean diet, get good quality protein, plenty of leafy greens, lots of water, I also take cod liver oil and magnesium powder. We need our trace minerals. DO NOT USE HARSH PRODUCTS ON YOUR SKIN!!! This can lead to more problems, and more broken veins!! Be very gentle, in fact. I wash with rose water, an wear very little makeup; an when I do, I remove with rosewater and microfiber cloth.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 AM

1,047 posts, read 326,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If you avoid the sun, make sure you are taking calcitrate calcium pills, even if it's only one daily. And drink some milk every day. Many women start losing bone like crazy as they age.

The skin on your face is rough? Hmmmm.

Yes, I'd see what a dermatologist has to say. But not just any dermatologist. You need to find one that deals with cosmetic issues, so he has some knowledge about that AND about serious medical issues. But beware if he has a cosmetic dept in-house, where they sell "special" creams & such. DON'T DO THAT. They're overpriced, and you can get something similar OTC.

I tend to get spots. They're difficult to get rid of. I'm able to keep the lightest new ones at bay by using a Retinol cream OTC. There are also OTC fade creams, but they take months of use to see if they will even work. I lose patience before then.

I've heard that acid peels help with spots. They range from light (can do them on lunch hour) to heavy duty. I've never had one, tho. A dermatologist may have an opinion on that.

You're right that there are so many options out there for skin issues. I've been trying different things since I was a teenager. I'm over 60 now. I would advise to be careful not to start with anything too strong.

I do a lot of things to and for my skin. Not every day. I rotate things. I have sensitive skin, so I try not to be too harsh. I use:

Facial masks occasionally (different kinds, nothing too harsh - either deep cleaning or moisturizing; either wash off with water or peel off)
Night creams of various sorts (Retinol "treatment," followed by Alpha hyroxy serum, followed by Olay Regenerist firming/hydrating cream)
I use Roc Retinol day cream treatment w/spf, sometimes followed by another spf cream, followed by a lightweight moisturizer (in summer).
Gentle abrasive scrubs occasionally (a cream with a gentle abrasive product in it; I have some paper disks with built-in alpha hydroxy abrasive thingies in them). I read that as you age, the skin cells don't turn over as quickly, so it's important to get those surface dead cells off, so the creams can penetrate better, and the skin looks fresher.

I've used an OTC fade cream for a couple of spots, but I lose patience, so I've not used that enough to know if it works.

As for small red veins showing, if that's what you have: You can have those zapped away. I did that with prominent red veins around my nose years ago. They came back somewhat over time, but not like they were before. Some people are prone to broken veins, I think. I forget what kind of business did that, whether it was a doctor's office department or what.This is a common thing that's done, so should be easy to find someone who does that.

I went to a cosmetician a few times years ago for that process that is like resurfacing. What is that procedure called? I can't remember. It's a machine that rotates abrasive thingies on your face. It felt wonderful, and my skin looked rosy and good afterwards, but I stopped because it was breaking my veins. Like I say, you have to be careful something isn't too harsh for your skin. (You can buy home versions of that process that are a lot gentler...Olay, Neutrogena.)

But you need to start with a dermatologist to make sure you don't have roseacea or a skin condition. Those spots, which I think you said are rough?...could be keratoses spots. A derm. would probably recommend freezing those off. They can turn cancerous. Those spots are damage from the sun, I think.
Acid peels are excellent for spots! I've done lactic & glycolic acid peels at home and my skin has never looked better. Fortunately, I don't have an issue with wrinkles. However, with acid peels you must be very careful. I think I should have gotten my first from a professional.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 AM

57 posts, read 42,134 times
To start, SPF 50 or higher on your face (I use one that also moisturizes) every single morning before you step foot outside your home. Twice weekly, I use a Clarisonic facial exfoliator on my face. And, low and behold, I started shaving my face about 20 years ago when a skincare expert said she had always done that. Shaving exfoliates the skin, and routine exfoliation is a *KEY* component to keeping your skin looking young. I also go to estheticians for facial peels at least quarterly. There is a TON of non-invasive and relatively inexpensive options now available to help with aging skin. TONS. But I would also be at least aware that many dermatologists perform many of these esthetic procedures in their offices (quick and easy profits), which of course I would prefer because they are MDs, but oftentimes will have their staff do the work. That said, just stay aware that they will try to sell you the farm sometimes. Also, ALWAYS wear sunglasses so you are not squinting and creating creases around your eyes. Note: if you don't like a particular dermatologist or their staff, there are oodles more in the area. I know Yelp is fixed but I still get good ideas there.

I've used this regimen for 20 years, and people routinely guess my age to be 50 although I am 66. A great attitude and lots of laughing also keep you young inside and out.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM

9,387 posts, read 2,734,918 times
Make sure you eat enough fat and stay hydrated. And use a good moisturizer that works for your skin. Ask 10 people and they'll tell you 10 different moisturizers.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 AM

24,792 posts, read 15,976,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Appreciate the concern, but I do get skin cancer checks. In fact, I've had several Moh's procedures for basal cell spots. I'm very fair and have skin damage from growing up in south Texas in the days before sunscreen. I avoid the sun like the plague now. This is all just cosmetic (in other words, coming out of my own pocket).

In fact, I called this morning and made an appointment with an aesthetician at a dermatologist's office, picked randomly from Yelp based on good reviews. I figured that was a good starting point. I look extra-horrible now because of cedar fever (pollen allergy in central Texas). It makes your eyes swell shut and your face puffy, itchy, and dry. Anything will be an improvement! I will report back.
I’ve heard about cedar fever. My sympathies. Keep us posted on what the aesthetician recommends. I agree that a visit there is a good starting point.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:01 PM

38,727 posts, read 47,617,320 times
I’m 71 and I’ve been where you are. Of course you should start by being checked by a dermatologist. By now, you probably have a good idea what your aging skin issues will be. For example, I do not have wrinkles, but I have oily skin and spider veins and blotchy (old age) spots. My skin is easily irritated and so are my eyes, so any product I use must be mild.

I began to use a mild acne cleanser (just to control oil) and a $60. tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, sold at the dermatologists office. I love tinted moisturizer, but I soon found that cheap, Neutrogena tinted moisturizer is just as good, if not better.

At my age, I really don’t give 2 hoots about sunscreens, but I do feel I need a bit of coverage for the flaws on my face, so tinted moisturizer is the way to go. Besides, I don’t care to spend a lot of time on makeup.

Fast forward to the last few months. I felt like I wanted to reassess to see if I could improve my appearance. I got a free sample from DHC of their Urumai cream and found that it gave my skin a noticeable glow. I ordered a travel size to try further and I still really like it. It’s very non irritating. So, I’ve just ordered the three Urumai products (soap, toner and cream).
I still use the tinted moisturizer over it if I’m going out.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:41 PM

6,996 posts, read 3,968,618 times
Ditto the dermatologist being the first step to make sure you don't have any undiagnosed conditions that are contributing to your problem.

I'm so glad you asked. I've been thinking about starting a thread about my experiment. I haven't been overjoyed about the result I get from the purchased creams anymore and I'm tired of spending a fortune on the "better" ones. The less expensive ones seemed no better than nothing.

So about a month ago I did some research and found that fresh aloe can work well for some people. I've had an aloe plant for years that breeds like a bunny and even though I gave many away and even threw some last summer I still have three pots of the stuff.

So I've started to use it as a facial cream on clean skin in the morning and in the evening. A finger-sized slice of about an inch will work and the plant doesn't seem to mind. Thinly trim the skin on the flat side off and gentle rub it where you need it. It's cool, gel-like and soothing.

They suggest a test first on the inner side of your wrist just to make sure you're not allergic.

After a month now I can safely say that for me it has plumped up my skin and softened the age lines. I believe I even see some improvement in that well-earned frown line on my forehead. The skin feels softer and smoother.

I don't expect miracles but am happy with what it's done for me and plan to continue using my generous plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or