Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times

Advertisements

I recently turned 60 and my skin is rough and blotchy with discolored spots and patches of red veins. I'd like to get some treatments but I have no idea where to start. Should I talk to a dermatologist first? Or an aesthetician at a day spa? I go online and read reviews and then get overwhelmed and give up. I worry that I'll get talked into a series of expensive treatments (this stuff is serious money!) that won't end up making a noticeable difference. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I recently turned 60 and my skin is rough and blotchy with discolored spots and patches of red veins. I'd like to get some treatments but I have no idea where to start. Should I talk to a dermatologist first? Or an aesthetician at a day spa? I go online and read reviews and then get overwhelmed and give up. I worry that I'll get talked into a series of expensive treatments (this stuff is serious money!) that won't end up making a noticeable difference. Help!

Assuming you have always been using a great moisturizer..if not, start there. Then, I would actually start with a dermatologist for best advice on your specific issues.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
See a dermatologist for help with this. I think he or she will have good recs for skin care for you.

And be sure to get enough sleep. I always look better after a good night's sleep.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I recently turned 60 and my skin is rough and blotchy with discolored spots and patches of red veins.
This sounds like it could be rosacea. It's probably best to have a dermatologist check you out. People can do more damage to their skin using a bunch of products that don't work well together or with their skin type.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This sounds like it could be rosacea. It's probably best to have a dermatologist check you out. People can do more damage to their skin using a bunch of products that don't work well together or with their skin type.
There are some patches of rosacea, but they don't bother me that much. It's more the general roughness and brown spots on the temples. Under bad lighting, I'm starting to resemble Steve Bannon, except that he has better hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Treatments for aging skin-gettyimages-662712142-1024x727.jpg  

Last edited by Kthnry; 01-21-2020 at 11:54 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Get yourself to a dermatologist, ASAP. Rule out skin cancer. Especially if you have been a sun worshipper in the past. Ask about treatment options, and skin care regimen.

Just do it.

You need information. You get that from a doc.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
In the meantime, what kind of skin do you have, and what is your routine now?

Old 01-22-2020, 10:32 AM

2,224 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Do you use sunscreen every day? Might be a good idea to start now.
A home-made yeast face mask is easy to prepare. I use 1 tbs baker's yeast and 1tbs yogurt (or milk). You can find more elaborate recipes online like this website.
COLLAGEN BOOSTING HOMEMADE FACE MASK USING YEAST - The Beauty Mascot

Agree that seeing a Doc is the best route. However, not all Docs are the same. Once after an operation at the hospital day surgery, I developed rashes and was referred to a Dermatologist. The rashes were not serious. The Dermatologist' assistant / receptionist told me that the Doc could give me a microdermabrasion, and stressed that she only did it for friends and cash only. I politely thanked her for the information before leaving. I went to see another doctor who specializes in skin cosmetic treatments and he said my skin was (still is) delicate and without blemishes; and he said I do not need a microdermabrasion at all.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Get yourself to a dermatologist, ASAP. Rule out skin cancer. Especially if you have been a sun worshipper in the past. Ask about treatment options, and skin care regimen.

Just do it.

You need information. You get that from a doc.
Appreciate the concern, but I do get skin cancer checks. In fact, I've had several Moh's procedures for basal cell spots. I'm very fair and have skin damage from growing up in south Texas in the days before sunscreen. I avoid the sun like the plague now. This is all just cosmetic (in other words, coming out of my own pocket).

In fact, I called this morning and made an appointment with an aesthetician at a dermatologist's office, picked randomly from Yelp based on good reviews. I figured that was a good starting point. I look extra-horrible now because of cedar fever (pollen allergy in central Texas). It makes your eyes swell shut and your face puffy, itchy, and dry. Anything will be an improvement! I will report back.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Appreciate the concern, but I do get skin cancer checks. In fact, I've had several Moh's procedures for basal cell spots. I'm very fair and have skin damage from growing up in south Texas in the days before sunscreen. I avoid the sun like the plague now. This is all just cosmetic (in other words, coming out of my own pocket).

In fact, I called this morning and made an appointment with an aesthetician at a dermatologist's office, picked randomly from Yelp based on good reviews. I figured that was a good starting point. I look extra-horrible now because of cedar fever (pollen allergy in central Texas). It makes your eyes swell shut and your face puffy, itchy, and dry. Anything will be an improvement! I will report back.
Try ketotifen eye drops, which you can buy OTC. Flonase also helps a lot with pollen allergy.

If you're in San Antonio, San Marcus or Austin, the allergist I see is great and they've got offices in all three cities, if you think an allergist would help.

If there's any chance you're reacting to your moisturizer, switching to Vanicream might help. It's the only one I can currently use. It's thick so I only use it at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty