U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 AM

8,642 posts, read 3,150,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Since I'm short I like a monochromatic look. I also don't wear prints on the bottom for the same reason. I bought a pair of patterned leggings recently and hated them so they have been relegated to the pajama drawer.

If you keep with the basics on the bottom: gray, black, navy you can wear almost any top with them.

Also a fashion rule I follow: if you're wearing tight on bottom, wear something a little fuller on top unless you're going to a yoga class. In other words, skinny jeans with a tunic top; long full skirt with a camisole or slim tee.

Sorry...I guess we were typing at the same time, but you posted first. I pretty much repeated what you said. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,798,066 times
If you have trouble deciding which colors go together, use a color wheel. It will show which colors coordinate. It's helped me.

You can also pick a standalone one up at most craft stores or online.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:05 PM

13,120 posts, read 3,434,072 times
Here is a video talking about capsule wardrobes. Justine Leconte has a couple of them for different seasons so search for others on her website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97b...JB1XP6ueUK6uTp

Old 01-24-2020, 01:16 PM

11,778 posts, read 16,842,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree. Some women have more of a knack, but anyone can learn how to coordinate colors and mix shapes.
You can. You can learn anything.
You can't learn to do it from the heart, when it really shines. That's when the talent comes in.

It's that un identifiable charme that I refer too.

There's plenty of women that learned how to.
But there's also those, who shine in their outfits. The head turners.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:40 PM

24,820 posts, read 15,992,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Since I'm short I like a monochromatic look. I also don't wear prints on the bottom for the same reason. I bought a pair of patterned leggings recently and hated them so they have been relegated to the pajama drawer.

If you keep with the basics on the bottom: gray, black, navy you can wear almost any top with them.

Also a fashion rule I follow: if you're wearing tight on bottom, wear something a little fuller on top unless you're going to a yoga class. In other words, skinny jeans with a tunic top; long full skirt with a camisole or slim tee.
I agree about the fuller top with the skinny bottom, and vice versa, as well as your other advice.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM

417 posts, read 193,794 times
You need to find your personal style and know what are the key pieces that will give that look.

I personally stick with a uniform capsule wardrobe. Clothes that is mainly neutral, non prints to tiny prints because it suit my body shape and all the colours are blendable. Accessories help change the look from day to night or dressy to glamorous look. Makeup and hair help change my look also when I feel the need for change.

I love what others have said.

Have fun with your new wardrobe planning!

Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 PM

1,654 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I watched youtube video & google & consciously make effort to put together 1 or 2 outfits at maxi. Majority of the outfits I wear have no conscious thoughts behind it. At max, maybe my top and bottom somewhat coordinates.

But I see people whose entire outfit goes together so smoothly, down to their socks. Here I am, can't even put top and bottom together & forget shoes or socks. There are seasons when I think about my colors & put lot of effort in but then the weather changes and new clothes come out & I am a mess again. I am so impress at peoples ability to match.
I tend to have an eye for design, but my clothes match up and look nice because I stick with basics. Black leggings nearly always (always loved leggings and don't care if they go back out of style; I definitely tote the classic look and never appear trendy), with a neutral colored long sweater/long-sleeved shirt (this is for winter). I generally wear some type of brown or gray shirt, but also have dark reds/purples, greens and blues (and an occasional off-white).

I generally always wear (black) boots that come up to mid-leg and wear boot toppers (or the rare sock that goes up to mid-leg so it's slightly over the top edge of the boot) that generally match the shirt I'm wearing (black with white spots nearly goes with all my shirts, but there's a beige and gray color boot topper that goes with those colored shirts I wear).

I get comments on occasion on how cute and fashionable I look (and comfortable). I don't put any effort into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's a talent. You either have it or not.
That is pretty much it. Like writing. I thought for a long, long time that everyone knew how to write, it was just inherent in being a human. Then when I got to pharmacy school and someone gave me a paper to proof-read, I was like, "What is this?" So, yes, talents are gifts; hopefully some can be learned.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:59 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,198,548 times
Nordstrom & Bloomingdales offer personal styling services. I think I will work with them to refresh my spring/summer look.

Additionally, Bloomingdales has a new service where you can rent clothing. You keep the items for as long as you like, then send them back in the pre-paid envelope. At $149 p/month, it's abit much. But, to get some ideas it may be worth it if you can pull it off for a few months.
https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/m...ion?id=1077059

Old 01-25-2020, 06:59 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,191,100 times
I am probably not like most others on here. I am from Florida, like color, and will often mix prints, colors, patterns, etc. Sometimes I will go with something I think is marginal, but then I will get a compliment. I don’t always follow all the rules either that people mention here. I just sort of do my own thing.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 AM

7,018 posts, read 3,973,966 times
My daughter teases me for my love of coordinated clothing. Different styles.

I pick up unique accessories to tie things together. Always have my eye out for that well-made item that no one wants because it's an odd combination or whatever. I think in terms of the two items in my closet which will be mated through the inclusion of this accessory. With this approach I can buy unusual items marked down because they present that matching problem.

It's a bit of a side hobby for me. I once had a lovely crocheted shawl I bought for $3.00 hanging in my closet for about ten years until I found the perfect jacket to pair it with some pants I own. The compliments have been worth the long search.

If you are artistically inclined you can also do this at home by adding a coordinating trim to the collar or cuffs, making a scarf, adding beading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty