U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 10:10 AM

38,787 posts, read 47,703,304 times

Advertisements

I dont know if anyone said this already, but I never wear navy with navy, or black with black, etc, because the shades are usually off, and that bothers me. Likewise I never wear white with off white.
This is why I can’t die first, because DH thinks a faded navy tee shirt goes with his navy shorts, and it looks bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 12:20 PM

4,345 posts, read 1,955,085 times
My rules for me, yours may vary:

Pick one item--piece of jewelry or clothing item--to inspire an outfit. If you start with something multicolored, everything else should be a single color included in that inspiration item.

Big on top or big on bottom, never big on both. That means a loose shirt goes with narrow trousers, and a flowy skirt needs a fitted top.

Match jewelry to skirt or trousers. Usually. Floral print jeans with a navy background go with a pink shirt and navy jewelry.
But if I'm wearing black on bottom, I'll match jewelry to a minor color in the print on top.

Shoes and stockings should be similar in color to the pants or skirt, unless you want everyone looking at your feet. Like if you have gorgeous boots, yum.

Inventory your clothes, and think about why you don't wear certain items:
are they stained or need repair? They don't fit? you don't like them? They're outmoded? Take care of the problem or get rid of the clothes. You'll suddenly have more room in your closet.
Do you not have anything to wear with them? Shop for an item that will complete an outfit.

Organize your clothes.
Separate pants, tops, skirts, etc.
Further separate by season to be worn. If possible, keep out of season clothes in another closet, and change out in spring and fall.
Sort by color. This makes your closet seem so much neater.
I go one step further, and use only white hangers, so my eye isn't distracted.

Now when you open the closet, it's easy to see what you have, and everything is ready to wear.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:55 PM

26,998 posts, read 25,610,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I dont know if anyone said this already, but I never wear navy with navy, or black with black, etc, because the shades are usually off, and that bothers me. Likewise I never wear white with off white.
This is why I can’t die first, because DH thinks a faded navy tee shirt goes with his navy shorts, and it looks bad.
Yes, some people can't see the subtle shade differences in two things which are the same color.

I once saw someone wearing burgundy pants with a maroon sweater. I suspect that he was red/green color blind.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,734,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, some people can't see the subtle shade differences in two things which are the same color.

I once saw someone wearing burgundy pants with a maroon sweater. I suspect that he was red/green color blind.
I have done that many times because in my head, those items are almost same color. But when I went to actually wear them, the colors didn't match but by then its too late & I am too lazy to find something else. So I go with it.

Now that we are in end of Jan, I finally decided to take pic of my daily outfit (because that is the only way I can be object about my dress) & try to do better job of putting outfits together. I am fairly ok when I put effort in (take pic, analyze data, keep notes of what went right and what I did wrong) but its so annoying have to invest time in when it feels like everyone else just knows. Also by the time I figure things out, its time to change season & time for completely different wardrobe (I put my off season clothes away) & I start the work again

Old 01-31-2020, 03:52 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,177,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I read somewhere once, that men can't see the various shades of color that women can. For instance, when men see salmon, they see orange. When they see peach, they see orange. When they see lavender, they see purple. When they see egg plant, they see purple, etc.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:32 PM

9,018 posts, read 6,468,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I read somewhere once, that men can't see the various shades of color that women can. For instance, when men see salmon, they see orange. When they see peach, they see orange. When they see lavender, they see purple. When they see egg plant, they see purple, etc.
...maybe. I don't think it is necessarily that men can't see it. I wonder what that source said and if it elaborated on that. But I can see different shades of color, but I think it's more that we are less likely to get caught up in those details. Men with fully functioning eyes and no color blindness are going to see the various shades. We just may not be exact on how we refer to them.

I myself do not really notice the different shades so to speak, but when put next to each other, I can tell the difference.

But I myself personally do not "match". I tried it a few times and I felt ridiculous. I find that I'm better with complimentary colors. I also avoid opposite colors of any type because I feel like they clash (even white and black it seems to clash to me).

Old 02-01-2020, 11:14 AM

24,922 posts, read 16,040,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I have done that many times because in my head, those items are almost same color. But when I went to actually wear them, the colors didn't match but by then its too late & I am too lazy to find something else. So I go with it.

Now that we are in end of Jan, I finally decided to take pic of my daily outfit (because that is the only way I can be object about my dress) & try to do better job of putting outfits together. I am fairly ok when I put effort in (take pic, analyze data, keep notes of what went right and what I did wrong) but its so annoying have to invest time in when it feels like everyone else just knows. Also by the time I figure things out, its time to change season & time for completely different wardrobe (I put my off season clothes away) & I start the work again
The more you do this, the easier it gets. Your post title used the word, “effortlessly’. But honestly, there is mental effort involved. But when you do it for awhile it becomes second nature. And not all mismatches are bad. And you don’t have to match stuff at all.

I hang clothes together that I intend to wear and look at them. Even when I do that, I frequently have to make adjustments on the fly.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,399,256 times
My daughter age 20, she only dresses in warm fall/autumn colors. Mostly 1 color items. Lots of neutrals also. Has some items like blouses, dresses in small prints. Wears her size well fitting but not sausage tight and for her figure.She also likes some vintage fashion.
Everything mixes and matches and can be combined. When she was here for winter break she bought some clothes to take back to US and all in fall colors.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 1,955,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
.... I find that I'm better with complimentary colors. I also avoid opposite colors of any type because I feel like they clash (even white and black it seems to clash to me).
Complimentary colors are those opposite each other on the color wheel, like orange and blue; probably what you mean by clashing.

I agree about not matching--everything the same color or pattern looks too...um, matchy!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:24 AM

24,922 posts, read 16,040,821 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementary_colors

I don’t exactly know what TJ means in her post. I think perhaps she is thinking that she hates high contrast color schemes, like black and white, or light pink and dark navy? I am in that boat too. I like low contrast color combinations on me.

People with vivid coloring look great in high contrast though, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty