U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 11:03 AM

2,871 posts, read 670,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I watched youtube video & google & consciously make effort to put together 1 or 2 outfits at maxi. Majority of the outfits I wear have no conscious thoughts behind it. At max, maybe my top and bottom somewhat coordinates.

But I see people whose entire outfit goes together so smoothly, down to their socks. Here I am, can't even put top and bottom together & forget shoes or socks. There are seasons when I think about my colors & put lot of effort in but then the weather changes and new clothes come out & I am a mess again. I am so impress at peoples ability to match.

Some people just love doing it....& develop more of an eye because of that.........BUT don't get too caught up in being all matchy matchy. Styles now have become a little more free in what goes with what........this is super true for casual wear & different textures paired with a piece that is more classic. Even tho adding a new trendy piece can be fun to update a wardrobe.......you don't need to start over A N D the idea of it all is to have fun & self expression....even if it's a little wild or somebody else doesn't think you "match".....

Ofc...it's a lot different when you're wearing a formal gown or dress.....but it's still about self expression & what you like..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 AM

9,018 posts, read 6,468,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Complimentary colors are those opposite each other on the color wheel, like orange and blue; probably what you mean by clashing.

I agree about not matching--everything the same color or pattern looks too...um, matchy!
Dang it!!! I said complimentary colors and not complementary...

thanks for not nitpicking.

Some people can make the matching work for them. For me, there has to be something to break the monotony of my outfit or else, it doesn't work on me.

And I think one way to make the different clashing colors work that I can think of is to make one of the colors predominant.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM

24,922 posts, read 16,040,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Dang it!!! I said complimentary colors and not complementary...

thanks for not nitpicking.

Some people can make the matching work for them. For me, there has to be something to break the monotony of my outfit or else, it doesn't work on me.

And I think one way to make the different clashing colors work that I can think of is to make one of the colors predominant.
We probably all use different methods. I like to repeat colors in an outfit, although I don't strive for exact matches. And the repeating colors can be minor things, like shoes, belt, purse, jewelry, scarf.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:53 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,177,983 times
Quote:
...maybe. I don't think it is necessarily that men can't see it. I wonder what that source said and if it elaborated on that. But I can see different shades of color, but I think it's more that we are less likely to get caught up in those details. Men with fully functioning eyes and no color blindness are going to see the various shades. We just may not be exact on how we refer to them.

I myself do not really notice the different shades so to speak, but when put next to each other, I can tell the difference.

But I myself personally do not "match". I tried it a few times and I felt ridiculous. I find that I'm better with complimentary colors. I also avoid opposite colors of any type because I feel like they clash (even white and black it seems to clash to me).

God bless my wonderful and sweet grandpa, but he couldn't match to save his life. lol He never could pull off 'dapper'. He might wear plaid pants and a plaid jacket, but a completely different kind of plaid, and then wear his favorite plaid hat, and a crazy whacky tie, and he was 'dressed up'.

He was a wonderful human being but he couldn't match. LOL

Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 PM

4,044 posts, read 9,633,601 times
I like capsules and I also look at lookbooks online for inspiration.

Finally, I might pick a celebrity I like and google her name + "streetwear" and that also gives me ideas.

I know what styles and colors work for me, too, and I'll add one trendy piece.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:28 AM

11,497 posts, read 15,135,368 times
Quote:
...maybe. I don't think it is necessarily that men can't see it. I wonder what that source said and if it elaborated on that. But I can see different shades of color, but I think it's more that we are less likely to get caught up in those details. Men with fully functioning eyes and no color blindness are going to see the various shades. We just may not be exact on how we refer to them.

I myself do not really notice the different shades so to speak, but when put next to each other, I can tell the difference.
Reminds me of the time my son asked which shirt he should wear with a new pair of black pants. I asked him if they were brown black or blue black and he was absolutely confuzzled.

KeraT, different people have different priorities concerning their wardrobe. When I was younger I was all about being 'trendy.' Every season I would go to the store and buy at least two new complete outfits. I have yet to see anyone mention that many stores organize their women's clothing racks as 'collections', making it easier to find items that match. If you are new to, or uncomfortable with, mixing and matching on your own the 'collections' make it much easier to put together a coordinated outfit since all the pieces tend to come from a single color palette.
For example https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c2...BLP-goforgreen
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c2...BLP-popofprint

Old 02-07-2020, 04:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 10,166,137 times
I get lot of compliments even though I don't view myself as talented in the fashion arena.

What works for me is:

Black leggings of good quality and weight.

Tunic tops, either light or sweater weight..or

Leggings with a shorter top and a nifty jacket over in a longer length.

My goal is to cover the fanny and stomach area.

Some costume jewelry that accents the outfit...

Shoes? Well, I love shoes but comfort comes first, then style.

And figure out necklines that flatter. Some look great with turtle necks, others with a scoop or boat neck or v-neck...depends on your face shape and neck length (or jowls--in my case. In which case, learn how to use scarves to your advantage.

And always buy clothes in your most flattering colors and shades.

I notice I always get compliments when wearing peach or coral. I pay attention to that. Lots of those tones in my closet. Love red but it turns my olive skin sallow, so no red for me. What are your best colors?

A friend turned me on to this trick--don't wear tight clothes-they show every bulge Not flattering if you look like you're bursting out of them. She was right. I often buy clothes one size up as they skim my body and make me look less than I am.

And I'd rather wear well-made clothes and own fewer of them than have a bunch of clothes with shoddy material and workmanship.

Many of my clothes come from consignment shops and I love the detail and fabrics.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM

8,270 posts, read 4,503,548 times
When I buy things I try and find things that go with what I’ve purchased previous. Mix and match.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,457,514 times
I just buy clothes I like and somehow they seem to go together.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:02 PM

9,018 posts, read 6,468,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I get lot of compliments even though I don't view myself as talented in the fashion arena.

What works for me is:

Black leggings of good quality and weight.

Tunic tops, either light or sweater weight..or

Leggings with a shorter top and a nifty jacket over in a longer length.

My goal is to cover the fanny and stomach area.

Some costume jewelry that accents the outfit...

Shoes? Well, I love shoes but comfort comes first, then style.

And figure out necklines that flatter. Some look great with turtle necks, others with a scoop or boat neck or v-neck...depends on your face shape and neck length (or jowls--in my case. In which case, learn how to use scarves to your advantage.

And always buy clothes in your most flattering colors and shades.

I notice I always get compliments when wearing peach or coral. I pay attention to that. Lots of those tones in my closet. Love red but it turns my olive skin sallow, so no red for me. What are your best colors?

A friend turned me on to this trick--don't wear tight clothes-they show every bulge Not flattering if you look like you're bursting out of them. She was right. I often buy clothes one size up as they skim my body and make me look less than I am.

And I'd rather wear well-made clothes and own fewer of them than have a bunch of clothes with shoddy material and workmanship.

Many of my clothes come from consignment shops and I love the detail and fabrics.
I'm actually not a fan of tight clothes. They seem uncomfortable. I think very few people can actually pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I just buy clothes I like and somehow they seem to go together.
I take the same approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty