U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM

826 posts, read 174,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I watched youtube video & google & consciously make effort to put together 1 or 2 outfits at maxi. Majority of the outfits I wear have no conscious thoughts behind it. At max, maybe my top and bottom somewhat coordinates.

But I see people whose entire outfit goes together so smoothly, down to their socks. Here I am, can't even put top and bottom together & forget shoes or socks. There are seasons when I think about my colors & put lot of effort in but then the weather changes and new clothes come out & I am a mess again. I am so impress at peoples ability to match.
I am terrible. My husband is better than me at knowing what goes together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,734,662 times
Since this post I have been thinking about my wardrobe & watching Youtube vides on recreating outfits & looking at pinterest/google for ideas with existing piece of items I have. I love Alyssa Beltempo on slow fashion. And I did it, I put a great outfit together & got compliment for few coworkers on the entire look.

It was a very simple look: knitted strie blazer, bootcut jeans, solid tee & gray scarf. I have worn very similar outfit in past with different scarf/tee which didn't stand out. This was probably my 3rd iteration when I finally got it.
  1. But all 3 piece together randomly but used a printed tee which clashed with the strip on blazer
  2. All solid with just the blazer with strips. but I used too much black on top which ruined the look
  3. 3rd iteration - got a good balance
This is too long and too much effort. By the time I figure out 5 outfits, winter will be over & time to start all over again. By next winter fashion has changed and some of my outfit piece might not exist anymore.
I just hate how much effort it takes me to get basic look.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,734,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Reminds me of the time my son asked which shirt he should wear with a new pair of black pants. I asked him if they were brown black or blue black and he was absolutely confuzzled.

KeraT, different people have different priorities concerning their wardrobe. When I was younger I was all about being 'trendy.' Every season I would go to the store and buy at least two new complete outfits. I have yet to see anyone mention that many stores organize their women's clothing racks as 'collections', making it easier to find items that match. If you are new to, or uncomfortable with, mixing and matching on your own the 'collections' make it much easier to put together a coordinated outfit since all the pieces tend to come from a single color palette.
For example https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c2...BLP-goforgreen
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c2...BLP-popofprint
I didn't know Khols had outfits page but I use to look at the outfit page in past. I even found a sweater I like. the problem with pre-made outfits by store is I am petite & many of the outfit items don't come in petite. sometimes I can get away with non-petite tops but most times I can't.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

24,922 posts, read 16,040,821 times
It takes me a couple of iterations to find the right “look” sometimes too. But once you know the outfit you can return to it. And the more you keep doing it, the easier it gets.

And a better quality white shirt or tee paired with a nicely fitting pair of jeans looks good in many situations. You can accessorize however you wish. If you have a dress code, you can do this with better quality white shirt or tee and a better quality pair of black pants. But the tops need to be better quality than Kohls, IMO.

Old Today, 02:08 AM

27,333 posts, read 30,701,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I watched youtube video & google & consciously make effort to put together 1 or 2 outfits at maxi. Majority of the outfits I wear have no conscious thoughts behind it. At max, maybe my top and bottom somewhat coordinates.

But I see people whose entire outfit goes together so smoothly, down to their socks. Here I am, can't even put top and bottom together & forget shoes or socks. There are seasons when I think about my colors & put lot of effort in but then the weather changes and new clothes come out & I am a mess again. I am so impress at peoples ability to match.
I found I looked a lot more put together when I limited the colors in my wardrobe.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love color. But there are some I just don't bother wearing. Like navy and red.

So I really thought about what I actually wear, and started to stay on theme. My palette:

neutrals: grey, black
colors: hot pink, fuchsia, burgundy, evolving out of cobalt blue, adding in mustard yellow and warm metallic and millennial pink
patterns: snake, leopard, anything graphic and black and white, florals that are abstract

But her is the trick that has helped me buy less and match more. If I get a pattern - the base has to be one of my neutrals or accent colors. And one of the colors in the pattern also needs to be on my list of color (save the leopard). This gives me a reason to say no. And also ensures I can wear it with a few things.

As for shoes, the vast majority of mine are black, and solid. Though I have a couple of snake print shoes and one or two dual tone shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty