Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times

Advertisements

I watched youtube video & google & consciously make effort to put together 1 or 2 outfits at maxi. Majority of the outfits I wear have no conscious thoughts behind it. At max, maybe my top and bottom somewhat coordinates.

But I see people whose entire outfit goes together so smoothly, down to their socks. Here I am, can't even put top and bottom together & forget shoes or socks. There are seasons when I think about my colors & put lot of effort in but then the weather changes and new clothes come out & I am a mess again. I am so impress at peoples ability to match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You have to own several items in each category. I buy within certain color families, but if you stick to denim, black and gray for bottoms, you should be able to put almost any other colors with them.

I’ve been collecting socks for years. I buy a pack of wool socks every year at Costco. I’ve also bought from from Kohls, T J Maxx, and online. I can usually find coordinating socks for my outfits. But you can buy several pairs of black socks for when you aren’t happy with any of the others.

I don’t really match anything though. In fact I hate matchy matchy. What I’ve found is that if you buy several items every season, they tend to go together, even if they don’t match exactly. There are current stylish colorways that appear every year. During the last couple of years pink has been quite available, and even though I am not especially fond of pink, I think most of the soft peachy pinks look good on me, so I began buying some of them. What I’ve bought so far, seems to look good together.

But it will on to another color or two this spring,

In my experience, you have to freshen up your wardrobe every season. Sometimes your pocketbook dictates a new coat and you can’t buy much more than that. But you have to buy at least a few things when the seasons change. Otherwise, a couple of years pass, and all your clothes are faded and worn.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Here are my general rules, for what it's worth.

1. If I'm wearing a print on top, I'm wearing a solid on the bottom. If I'm wearing a print on the bottom, I wear a solid on top. (I, personally, never wear a print on the bottom...just doesn't seem like a good look for me. Lots of folks look great though, with prints on the bottom...but I just stick with neutrals or jeans.)

2. Have more than one purse. Typically, black purses should be for cold weather/Winter. IF you're using a dark purse in the summer/Spring, try to dress it up a little, like maybe tying a scarf around the handle or something. Something that will match your top would be good.

3. Try and buy your clothes in colors that you like. You'll probably find that your eye is usually drawn to the same colors usually. I tend to be drawn to reds, blues, purples and berry colors. Then, get some costume jewelry that complements those colors. IMO, places like Gorman's and Kohl's are good places for that. Variety, and not expensive. Also, depending on your skin tone, buy some silver or gold jewelry. Silver is good for cool skin tones, gold is good for warm skin tones. (Of course...it doesn't have to be REAL gold...and sterling silver jewelry is fairly inexpensive, plus...there's no shame in fake. lol)

4. If you're wearing a crew neck, or a ballet (I think that's what it's called) neckline, the longer and bolder the necklace can be. "Statement" necklaces. You want to create interest.

Those are some of 'MY' rules, based on my preferences, age, etc.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:41 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
keraT - FWIW, I don't know that it's ever effortless for anyone. Don't feel alone, as I've always said that if an outfit isn't put together on a web site or a mannequin, then I can't put one together myself. So often, it's hard to put together a top and bottom that suits my body type. Even if things match, the styles don't always look good together aka - the top is too short, too long, too this or that.

Like sassybluesey, I wear a solid with a print and almost always wear a print on the top, never the bottom. I like the look on others, but not me. I know some people like to wear monotone - same color top and bottom, but I find that very difficult and, frankly, a bit boring. If you stick to a palate that you like and are drawn to, I think you'll often find that outfits come together. I also keep it simple by sticking to black, navy and grey slacks, as well as blue and black jeans. Most all the colors I like match one or both of them. I've never worn a lot of really trendy clothing and my "style" if you can call it that is fairly plain, simple - or if I flatter myself, classic. You can often wear them for a longer time, giving you a longer window of finding something that goes well with a piece. I once bought a patterned skirt (I know, a print bottom) and it took me two years to find something that matched the rather odd colors - but I did succeed.

I like the suggestions made by silibran and sassyblusey and hopefully some others can help us both. I'm now retired and most everything matches my jeans, shorts and my Lands End Starfish Pants. I don't know how old you are, but if you're younger, know that as you get older, many of us dress for comfort - and while we may look like it, we don't really care. LOL

Old 01-23-2020, 04:50 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
It's a talent. You either have it or not.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's a talent. You either have it or not.
I disagree. Some women have more of a knack, but anyone can learn how to coordinate colors and mix shapes.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Good advice here so far, kera. My method is to rely on neutrals for most of my wardrobe. They can always be changed up with a colorful scarf or stand-out jacket.

Looking ahead to spring, I'll be reaching for a tweed like blazer I have in black with white accent threads throughout. It matches tops in black, white, gray, and even red. Goes great with jeans in blue or black.

I like a pale gray cardigan with peach, pink, white, taupe, or silver top. And don't forget the appeal of a monochrome outfit. Head to toe in one color makes it easy to wear bright colored jewelry or a knock out leather belt. Just some of my favorites. Have fun with it.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Since I'm short I like a monochromatic look. I also don't wear prints on the bottom for the same reason. I bought a pair of patterned leggings recently and hated them so they have been relegated to the pajama drawer.

If you keep with the basics on the bottom: gray, black, navy you can wear almost any top with them.

Also a fashion rule I follow: if you're wearing tight on bottom, wear something a little fuller on top unless you're going to a yoga class. In other words, skinny jeans with a tunic top; long full skirt with a camisole or slim tee.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Oh...another "rule"...

If you're wearing a voluminous top, the bottom half should be a more slender silhouette. And if you're wearing say...wide leg pants, or palazzo pants, you should wear a more form fitting top. Otherwise, you just kind of look like a shapeless blob.

Also, if you're wondering what colors go together, and what complements what...go to a classic color wheel. Like...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6605801...iABEgK5HPD_BwE

Pick a color you like. That color will go well with whatever color is on each side of the color you like. Also, the color directly across the wheel compliments the color you like. So...if you like True red, you can also wear violet red, or orange red. They match well together. And if you want a color that complements true red, than green does that.

(Hope this is helpful.)

Old 01-24-2020, 08:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Just find people either in real life that dress nicely or online (ads, websites etc...) and use them as a guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty