Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

I have bought some business-style suits over the time(not luxury brand, most are just some average suits from Macy's). Since it is not luxury, so I never dry wash, only machine wash trouser. For middle-class people, it is not worth to spend money on dry wash. If it looks worn out, just buy new suit.

If I go to work with suit (the jacket is always hang in the workplace cubicle), during winter, I dress the suit (bottom) with other winter coat. Over the time, trouser is used more than 10 times than jacket. When the trouser looks old, the jacket still looks in very good condition, feel like it is waste of money to get rid of both jacket and bottom. While this kind of suit (jacket) is too formal and it is weird to match other trouser. Something like this type of suit: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/d...tegoryID=17788

Maybe in the future, I should buy business casual suit (jacket only), so that I can buy different trousers to pair with jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 12:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
There was a time when a man's suit could be bought with two pairs of trousers.

I have converted plain navy suit coats to blazers by replacing the buttons with brass ones, but you can't do that with anything other than a plain navy coat.

If your dress code is suits (as opposed to sport coat and slacks) then you need to start buying two pairs of trousers with each suit. If you can get away with sport coat and slacks, then do that.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:26 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I have bought some business-style suits over the time(not luxury brand, most are just some average suits from Macy's). Since it is not luxury, so I never dry wash, only machine wash trouser. For middle-class people, it is not worth to spend money on dry wash. If it looks worn out, just buy new suit.

If I go to work with suit (the jacket is always hang in the workplace cubicle), during winter, I dress the suit (bottom) with other winter coat. Over the time, trouser is used more than 10 times than jacket. When the trouser looks old, the jacket still looks in very good condition, feel like it is waste of money to get rid of both jacket and bottom. While this kind of suit (jacket) is too formal and it is weird to match other trouser. Something like this type of suit: https://www.macys.com/shop/product/d...tegoryID=17788

Maybe in the future, I should buy business casual suit (jacket only), so that I can buy different trousers to pair with jacket.
Does your employer require you to wear full business suits? If not, buy "business casual" separates and donate the jackets to charity. There are needy folks who can't afford to care what the jacket is worth or where it came from as long as it's wearable.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Does your employer require you to wear full business suits? If not, buy "business casual" separates and donate the jackets to charity. There are needy folks who can't afford to care where the jacket came from as long as it's wearable.
No requirement, but it is common to dress professionally. Business casual works for most of time.

Believe or not, most donated clothes will not go to so-called needy folks. I even watched a youtube video last year, most German Red Cross donated clothes is sold to Africa directly. Charity organization operational cost is high too, they may need to sell donated stuff in order to pay employees. The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for 2011 was $951,957 plus expenses.

Here is how Goodwill handles donated clothes: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-...b0071a6e092352

Old 01-20-2020, 01:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
A suit jacket can be worn with jeans to get a casual look with a tinge of grunge. The lighter and more frayed the jeans, the grungier the look.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
No requirement, but it is common to dress professionally. Business casual works for most of time.

Believe or not, most donated clothes will not go to so-called needy folks. I even watched a youtube video last year, most German Red Cross donated clothes is sold to Africa directly. Charity organization operational cost is high too, they may need to sell donated stuff in order to pay employees. The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for 2011 was $951,957 plus expenses.

Here is how Goodwill handles donated clothes: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-...b0071a6e092352
I do some shopping at Goodwill. Believe me, the clothes hanging on their racks are donated second hand items, with some exceptions. The clothing not deemed saleable, or the items not sold after a certain length of time are, I assume, sold to third world countries.

I donate things frequently, and have seen some of my donations later in the store.

Go ahead and donate to Goodwill.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:03 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:

Disabled American Veterans absolutely keeps the donated items in the store. I have donated hundreds of items there over the years.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Disabled American Veterans absolutely keeps the donated items in the store. I have donated hundreds of items there over the years.
Don't get me wrong, I do not oppose donating clothes. I donate regularly (almost annually) too.

For suit, I don't mind donating old trouser, but for business style jacket (suit), it is strange for people to wear that (that kind of clothes does not provide much warmth anyway)

I guess the intention of thread is how to avoid the situation in the future------still very good condition suit jacket paired with old trouser. To sum up, in the future, if possible, buying multiple trousers for one suit jacket (but it is unlikely for some online shopping).

I think I will buy sport coats more often. Sport coat is also okay to pair with shirt/tie.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with men's Suit (Jacket)?-screenshot_20200120-173134.jpg  

Old 01-22-2020, 06:01 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Check into mix and match suits. Pants and jackets are sold seperately. Buy extra pants. Chaps is a brand which offers it.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I guess the intention of thread is how to avoid the situation in the future.
If you say that your workplace has no requirements to wear a suit and that business casual is acceptable, the best way to avoid your problem is not to buy a suit when you're rarely going to wear the jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty