Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dange...UHmgC2JsW5YpPE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 10:12 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Also avoid fragrance in cosmetics........& choose those that use plant oils...........

Choose products that use natural alternatives like rosemary, honey, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract & vitamin E........

A N D BHT & parabens mimics estrogen........that can cause tumors........so look for products that contain aspen bark extract & Vitamin E instead...........

Clean Beauty products are available all over.......with reviews & information online.....

Some of the *worst products* for toxic ingredients tho.............bronzer, setting powder, brow liner, blush..(check for formaldehyde)...some brands of BB cream, perfume & foundation...(check for parabens & mica)....

Old 01-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Also avoid fragrance in cosmetics........& choose those that use plant oils...........

Choose products that use natural alternatives like rosemary, honey, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract & vitamin E........

A N D BHT & parabens mimics estrogen........that can cause tumors........so look for products that contain aspen bark extract & Vitamin E instead...........

Clean Beauty products are available all over.......with reviews & information online.....

Some of the *worst products* for toxic ingredients tho.............bronzer, setting powder, brow liner, blush..(check for formaldehyde)...some brands of BB cream, perfume & foundation...(check for parabens & mica)....
well said Tash .if we dont as the customer dig our heels in and say NOMORE it will continue..time for big changes..

Old 01-28-2020, 05:58 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Unpopular opinion here ... other than not buying counterfeit products, I personally don't let myself get wrapped around the axle about ingredients and reading labels.

A very good friend of mine (she was my college roommate nearly 25 years ago) was always the "granola" type. She was one who was religious about reading labels and avoiding toxins and chemicals. Everything she bought and put on or in her body was all natural and organic. Cleaning products were all natural. She spent a great deal of time researching and filling her brain with all sorts of knowledge of all the evils of big name (non-natural) products. She never hesitated to share her knowledge and tried in vain to get me to change my toxic ways.

Now she's 43 years old and battling ewing sarcoma. She learned the hard way that we can obsess over ingredients, but sickness can happen anyway. She now regrets all the time and effort she expended trying to avoid all the evil toxins when she ended up getting sick anyway. She realizes that she can't get back all the time she spent on the internet obsessing about ingredients and should have been enjoying time with her children.

I'm guessing I'll get flamed for my opinion, but I'll keep my Maybelline and Clinique and Colourpop. I'm not going to read the ingredients. If something is an obvious irritant (i.e. makes my skin red, flaky, itchy, etc), I'll avoid it. If there are no obvious ill effects, I'll continue to use it. And if I get sick, I'll deal with it.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I can believe it. My friend’s daughter used a sheet mask from a known natural brand, clearly marketed to tweens. We thought she had an allergic reaction because she has allergies (nothing was noted on the label) so my friend gave the extras to me. I had the same reaction. My friend and I both emailed the companies requesting they remove the product from the market because I am not allergic to skin products. It took them almost 4 months of parents complaining of their tweens getting the same reactions before they pulled it. I have no idea what they put in that mask to give people chemical burns.
Young people don't need to be doing face masks anyway

Old 01-29-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Unpopular opinion here ... other than not buying counterfeit products, I personally don't let myself get wrapped around the axle about ingredients and reading labels.

A very good friend of mine (she was my college roommate nearly 25 years ago) was always the "granola" type. She was one who was religious about reading labels and avoiding toxins and chemicals. Everything she bought and put on or in her body was all natural and organic. Cleaning products were all natural. She spent a great deal of time researching and filling her brain with all sorts of knowledge of all the evils of big name (non-natural) products. She never hesitated to share her knowledge and tried in vain to get me to change my toxic ways.

Now she's 43 years old and battling ewing sarcoma. She learned the hard way that we can obsess over ingredients, but sickness can happen anyway. She now regrets all the time and effort she expended trying to avoid all the evil toxins when she ended up getting sick anyway. She realizes that she can't get back all the time she spent on the internet obsessing about ingredients and should have been enjoying time with her children.

I'm guessing I'll get flamed for my opinion, but I'll keep my Maybelline and Clinique and Colourpop. I'm not going to read the ingredients. If something is an obvious irritant (i.e. makes my skin red, flaky, itchy, etc), I'll avoid it. If there are no obvious ill effects, I'll continue to use it. And if I get sick, I'll deal with it.
Your entitled to your opinion Hertfordshire.. of course you are.......the reason I have to find out whats in everything as Ive been ill for many many years with exposures to chemicals where Iworked as a teenagerand it has caused so many problems for me ..as I have Evnioronmental illness. or MCS... its no fun and I try and help other never to get this illness... I know its difficult to change or want to change if you dont feel effects..I try hard with my grown up grandaughters but they still insist on expensive makes without caring about ingredients ,,its a difficult one.. and I can see where your coming from as without ever having this illness I too would feel the very same way as you do.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your entitled to your opinion Hertfordshire.. of course you are.......the reason I have to find out whats in everything as Ive been ill for many many years with exposures to chemicals where Iworked as a teenagerand it has caused so many problems for me ..as I have Evnioronmental illness. or MCS... its no fun and I try and help other never to get this illness... I know its difficult to change or want to change if you dont feel effects..I try hard with my grown up grandaughters but they still insist on expensive makes without caring about ingredients ,,its a difficult one.. and I can see where your coming from as without ever having this illness I too would feel the very same way as you do.
I can't live my life trying to avoid every possible illness. So I get where you're coming from, but even if I knew what your illness was like, I still wouldn't turn myself inside out trying to avoid it when I have no idea whether or not I would be susceptible anyway. Not everyone who has exposure to the same toxins ends up with the same illnesses. Everyone's susceptibility is different. So I could spend my time trying to avoid MCS, and wind up with something completely different caused by something I didn't avoid.

Our world is at a point where there are too many environmental factors that could possibly cause illness. It's impossible to avoid it all.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I can't live my life trying to avoid every possible illness. So I get where you're coming from, but even if I knew what your illness was like, I still wouldn't turn myself inside out trying to avoid it when I have no idea whether or not I would be susceptible anyway. Not everyone who has exposure to the same toxins ends up with the same illnesses. Everyone's susceptibility is different. So I could spend my time trying to avoid MCS, and wind up with something completely different caused by something I didn't avoid.

Our world is at a point where there are too many environmental factors that could possibly cause illness. It's impossible to avoid it all.
What you say is very true..I Think a lot comes from faulty immune gene from birth that doesnt raise its head until something affects that person. with me it was all the chemicals, bronzing. varnishes glues etc I used daily.. in the workplace with no masks or eye protection.. but it cant affect everyone ..so I see what your saying ..stay safe ..

Old 01-29-2020, 09:08 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry about your friend's cancer. Ofc sickness can still happen........it will to all of us sooner or later anyways....& you can't avoid everything. IMO tho....there's nothing wrong with looking at what's in our cosmetics or to the clean beauty brands A N D that's so different than "obsessing about it". It doesn't take much time to quickly read a label...but I don't have babies to worry about....so I like following & sampling clean beauty brands online. I am always trying new products anyways...but they are becoming very popular.........

Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It doesn't take much time to quickly read a label...
Actually, I think it does. It often feels like it requires a PhD. I just don't have the bandwidth for learning all the chemical names and whether they're "safe" or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty