U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

5,027 posts, read 2,156,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So your fingernails are 4 feet long and curling?
I never get manicures either. I can’t wear any polish because my nails are weak and break easily. I have the same problem with my toenails although I do occasionally get pedicures. now I can’t because both my big toenails are halfway broken and I have been waiting for them to grow out for about 6-7 months now. Right now I am in the Midwest and don’t need to wear sandals that often, so I is no a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

11,068 posts, read 5,856,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I never get manicures either. I can’t wear any polish because my nails are weak and break easily. I have the same problem with my toenails although I do occasionally get pedicures. now I can’t because both my big toenails are halfway broken and I have been waiting for them to grow out for about 6-7 months now. Right now I am in the Midwest and don’t need to wear sandals that often, so I is no a big deal.
You missed the point ... the other poster said they haven't done their own nails since middle school but they also never get manicures.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

11,907 posts, read 6,510,499 times
When I worked full time, I used to get a mani/pedi once a month during the warm weather. The spa person did a good job and while my nails were done and drying, she always cleans the foot spa bowl. I've never seen any other place that I went to do that. So, after that she was my go-to. I mostly did my fingernails & sometimes toenails during the colder months.

However; once I retired, income was very much reduced. I do both now. Maybe might get it done once this coming summer. Not sure yet. I don't do too bad of a job. Maybe I'll get her to do it at least once this summer She is in high demand & gets very busy especially during the summer. I'd have to probably book at least a month in advance.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

12,414 posts, read 21,016,885 times
I do my own, but I don’t wear polish. It doesn’t last on my nails. And pedicures scare me because I’m diabetic. I do my own foot maintenance.

Once I had a manicure with acrylics. Worst thing ever. My nails are broad and flat, and she didn’t have nail forms to fit, so she used regular nail forms. And what did I know? That night I had to ice my burning finger tips and the next day, they started popping off. Blessed relief!

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

789 posts, read 739,722 times
I have gotten my nails done plenty of times but I've discovered that I prefer to do them myself. From what I've experienced, you don't get the same treatment from the technicians when they figure out that you aren't a regular- they don't try as hard and often are sloppier. So, I've just invested in my own tools and good quality polishes/products and make time to do them. The result is always better anyway.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

15,183 posts, read 11,230,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I do my nails, I generally do them myself. A professional manicurist does a better job, frankly, but I find the process weird. Sitting in a salon while a stranger holds your hand and you have to make awkward small talk is not my idea of a great time. Doing it myself, I can sit at home and watch TV and try not to touch anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

I've been doing my own nails since I was 12, and I don't like fake nails, so it's easy to polish them on my own time rather than work in a regular appointment.

Not to mention the expense I'd rather spend on something else.

I had one pedicure in my whole life, and I hated it. Sitting on a "throne" while a woman on a little stool bent over my feet was not relaxing to me.
That's the main reason I've never had them done. I'm not comfortable paying someone to "pamper" me, and especially the feet. It just doesn't feel right to me. Same reason I've never gotten a massage, although it's very tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I do my own, but I don’t wear polish. It doesn’t last on my nails. And pedicures scare me because I’m diabetic. I do my own foot maintenance.

Once I had a manicure with acrylics. Worst thing ever. My nails are broad and flat, and she didn’t have nail forms to fit, so she used regular nail forms. And what did I know? That night I had to ice my burning finger tips and the next day, they started popping off. Blessed relief!
Ugh, that sounds awful!

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

1,098 posts, read 573,048 times
If you are good at doing it yourself, do it yourself. I pay. I have no interest in doing it myself and I'm not that great at it, but when I could not afford to pay, I'd do it myself when I wanted to.

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

1,809 posts, read 603,077 times
I only get a manicure and pedicure before I go on vacation. Now retired that’s the only time I get them. Pedicures feel very good because of the massage.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

5,690 posts, read 6,958,528 times
I get manicures all the time. It's my treat to myself. I love the gel manicures. They last 2-3 weeks easily. Never got that kind of longevity from regular polish, even when professionally done. I love the pampering, and I have never, ever been able to get my nails to look as good as they do when they are professionally done. And I have hundreds of colors to choose from.

I have never had any kind of acrylics or fake nails, and I never would. They are just too damaging. Luckily, I was blessed with really good nails.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

7,178 posts, read 3,399,949 times
Every other month I go in for the soak,nip and muscle therapy. My goodness does that get the circulation going for nail growth. The smoothness of my hands afterwards are amazing. My nails have recently started chipping sporadically. My diet definitely needs revised.
Yes I know how to trim cuticles and paint my nails. Just to get a better uniformity I get a manicure to upkeep them.
The salon I go to allows head phones so I can kick back...sip a bit of tea and let the curist do her thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty