U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

12,417 posts, read 21,016,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I get manicures all the time. It's my treat to myself. I love the gel manicures. They last 2-3 weeks easily. Never got that kind of longevity from regular polish, even when professionally done. I love the pampering, and I have never, ever been able to get my nails to look as good as they do when they are professionally done. And I have hundreds of colors to choose from.

I have never had any kind of acrylics or fake nails, and I never would. They are just too damaging. Luckily, I was blessed with really good nails.
Oh,I always thought gel manicures were fake nails like acrylics. So it’s just a different sort of nail polish and they don’t put tips on?

And they don’t damage the nail when they use the gel stuff to make it stick better? Interesting, I might have to look into that.

I would occasionally like color on my nails, in certain situations I think it would look nice. But I can’t stand long nails on me. I have short stubby fingers with wide broad flat nails. And when you put nail tips on something like that it’s like putting lipstick on a pig. They look far better when they’re on the short side.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

7,716 posts, read 4,279,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
So I was having a conversation with my SO this morning about the fact that I do my own nails and have always. Actually I am embarrassed to say that I have never paid for a manicure - I keep my nails painted and it is a lot of work actually now that I am getting older none the less they are done by me. I want to know if I am the only woman out there that still does their own nails so if you dont mind please let me know what you do with your nails. Thanks Ladies !!
Getting manicures is a thing that blossomed in the last couple of decades. Before then, most women did their own nails. Although, it was also a thing back in the '50s. So I think it comes & goes.

I've had a manicure only two times. It was unsatisfactory. I don't have beautiful nails, and I don't like add-ons and such. So there's only so much a manicurist can do. It's not worth the money.

It's easy enough to do one's own nails. I have a box of nail supplies.

I can't keep really nice nails, though, because I do projects around the house, in the yard, and before I retired, I was a litigation paralegal, which required me to handle large amounts of documents and boxes for decades. I also typed a lot on my pc....for many hours on end, as I typed up or edited briefs, lists of thousands of exhibits, and such. You could tell how good a lit. paralegal was by looking at her nails. If she had nice nails, she didn't do much work.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

6,947 posts, read 3,944,446 times
I do my own.

Last winter while we were in the doldrums of February I decided to teach myself a few new tricks. Rather, I let the experts on youtube teach me how. And I've had loads of fun collecting holiday ideas, stickers, decals, all the fun stuff to customize them. I've learned tie-dye, ombre, marbleizing, dry painting, foiling, dipping, galaxy, stained glass, watercolors.

I offer to do for my friends, too, and that way I get extra practice. People can't believe when I say I did them myself. They really don't know how easy it is.

If you have time and are at all interested I recommend this hobby for a creative and practical outlet. Most of my supplies I order from ebay and get really good prices plus the fun of shopping without spending a lot of money.

One of my favorite quick fixes are the full nail water decals. You can get fifty different sets for three or four dollars. Put them in water for a couple of seconds to slip them off the paper and place on a freshly clear polished nail. Let dry, file and trim around the edges and put on a topcoat. A garden blooms on your fingertips!

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

205 posts, read 102,170 times
Okay thank you very much everyone for replying - I am kinda shocked that so many of you out there do your own like I do. I try to notice other womens nails when I am out and have to say that I mostly see nails that look professionally done and or not done at all. My friends and relatives all get manicures so I feel a bit out of touch when talking to them about it.
I am always telling my SO that he is lucky that I dont have a monthly expense on manicures, eyebrows and or eyelashes as it would dip into our funds. Usually I am doing this when I am considering spending some extra money on myself and am trying to make myself not feel guilty about whatever I am getting ready to do lol.

Thank you for taking the time to share !!

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

37,237 posts, read 43,623,682 times
My manicures are DIY, as I enjoy doing them, but I'll occasionally pay for a pedicure.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,686,423 times
Mostly done at home.
Just received my first SNS with a gift certificate.
I'm going to try this route once a month.
These SNS nails have lasted 3 weeks.

Time to go in!

Old Today, 03:04 AM

19,321 posts, read 24,208,891 times
I don't do my own nails because I am bad at it, it's not cost prohibitive for me, at least, and they look much better and last much longer.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

11,910 posts, read 5,569,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh,I always thought gel manicures were fake nails like acrylics. So it’s just a different sort of nail polish and they don’t put tips on?

And they don’t damage the nail when they use the gel stuff to make it stick better? Interesting, I might have to look into that.

I would occasionally like color on my nails, in certain situations I think it would look nice. But I can’t stand long nails on me. I have short stubby fingers with wide broad flat nails. And when you put nail tips on something like that it’s like putting lipstick on a pig. They look far better when they’re on the short side.
Yes, gel nails is a kind of polish that is cured under a UV light which makes it stay on. What I don't like about gel polish on natural nails is it has to be soaked off with acetone. The nail tech wraps your nails in cotton soaked in acetone and then puts either plastic clips or foil around the nails to keep the acetone on. I don't care for having my fingertips soaked in acetone. The same thing with the Dip nails.

Old Today, 08:39 AM

5,701 posts, read 6,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

It's just a different type of polish. Looks just like regular polish. You put on a coat and then dry it for about a minute under a black light. And repeat for each additional coat (same number of coats as used for regular polish). And it dries instantly with the black light, so you don't need to worry about messing it up. To take it off, you have to soak the nails in nail polish remover and then it just kind of peels off or it can be lightly scraped off.

Soaking in nail polish remover is probably not the best thing for your nails, but mine haven't suffered any ill effects, and I've done it for years.

Old Today, 08:41 AM

5,701 posts, read 6,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, gel nails is a kind of polish that is cured under a UV light which makes it stay on. What I don't like about gel polish on natural nails is it has to be soaked off with acetone. The nail tech wraps your nails in cotton soaked in acetone and then puts either plastic clips or foil around the nails to keep the acetone on. I don't care for having my fingertips soaked in acetone. The same thing with the Dip nails.
I personally don't like the Dip nails (SNS). I tried it once, and it was too thick. Made it look like I had fake nails, even though I didn't. It also needs to be sanded off, which I didn't like. I've heard it lasts longer, but my nails have noticeably grown out after about 3 weeks to the point that I would need to have them done again anyway, so I figure I might as well just do gel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty