U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

3,524 posts, read 3,263,953 times

Advertisements

I never do my own nails. I rarely make small talk. Totally worth it to me. I do dip manicure and regular pedicure.

Quote:
As far as a stranger holding your hand, ever been to the dentist or hairdresser?

Or had a mammogram!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,264,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
Okay thank you very much everyone for replying - I am kinda shocked that so many of you out there do your own like I do. I try to notice other womens nails when I am out and have to say that I mostly see nails that look professionally done and or not done at all. My friends and relatives all get manicures so I feel a bit out of touch when talking to them about it.
I am always telling my SO that he is lucky that I dont have a monthly expense on manicures, eyebrows and or eyelashes as it would dip into our funds. Usually I am doing this when I am considering spending some extra money on myself and am trying to make myself not feel guilty about whatever I am getting ready to do lol.

Thank you for taking the time to share !!
Eh, don't worry about what other women do and just do what feels right for you. To each their own.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

1,028 posts, read 404,375 times
I don't do manicures, my fingernail are so soft they tear if they get longer than the end of my fingers. Yes, even with properly applied hardners and polish (been there, done that in my 20s!). Plus my job would ruin them in no time anyway. But I do regular pedicures on myself. I do a pretty good job at it, and it doesn't take long.

Going for a paid mani-pedi is on my list of private nightmares. I hate being touched by strangers. I only get my hair cut maybe twice a year, have never had a massage or gone to a spa. Doctors and dentists are required for health, so I mentally grit my teeth and do my best to relax when I go see them.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

8,526 posts, read 3,102,564 times
I usually do my own nails. I keep them trimmed, filed, etc. I'm not very good with polish, so I usually just stick with clear.

When I DO get a bug in my bonnet to use color, I start the night before, and apply it like I'm 4 yrs old, and of course it looks a mess. Happily, the excess comes off in the shower, in the morning. lol

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

4,730 posts, read 4,678,559 times
I'm surprised most replies have been from women who do their own. I thought I was a a rare bird for doing my own.

I get a professional mani/pedi once a year or less, but I feel somewhat guilty knowing about the labor abuses in the industry. Some of those workers get paid nothing to very little. I don't even know if they get to keep their tips.

I can do a pretty good job myself, but not as perfect as a gel or dip at a salon. I'm just not willing to support such an exploitative industry.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

4,730 posts, read 4,678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I do my own.

Last winter while we were in the doldrums of February I decided to teach myself a few new tricks. Rather, I let the experts on youtube teach me how. And I've had loads of fun collecting holiday ideas, stickers, decals, all the fun stuff to customize them. I've learned tie-dye, ombre, marbleizing, dry painting, foiling, dipping, galaxy, stained glass, watercolors.

I offer to do for my friends, too, and that way I get extra practice. People can't believe when I say I did them myself. They really don't know how easy it is.

If you have time and are at all interested I recommend this hobby for a creative and practical outlet. Most of my supplies I order from ebay and get really good prices plus the fun of shopping without spending a lot of money.

One of my favorite quick fixes are the full nail water decals. You can get fifty different sets for three or four dollars. Put them in water for a couple of seconds to slip them off the paper and place on a freshly clear polished nail. Let dry, file and trim around the edges and put on a topcoat. A garden blooms on your fingertips!
Could you share a link to the kind of nail decals you like? I saw some on Amazon but they didn't have very good reviews.
Also could you link a fave or two (or more) of the YouTube's that you liked? Thanks!!!

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

46,552 posts, read 44,872,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post

I mostly see nails that look professionally done ...

As you have seen in this thread, they may not be.

Please don't feel guilty. As long as you are taking care of yourself, he should be happy.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

7,718 posts, read 4,283,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's just a different type of polish. Looks just like regular polish. You put on a coat and then dry it for about a minute under a black light. And repeat for each additional coat (same number of coats as used for regular polish). And it dries instantly with the black light, so you don't need to worry about messing it up. To take it off, you have to soak the nails in nail polish remover and then it just kind of peels off or it can be lightly scraped off.

Soaking in nail polish remover is probably not the best thing for your nails, but mine haven't suffered any ill effects, and I've done it for years.
No way would I do that! First, peeling off anything from your nails would remove the surface layer, even if you don't think so. Second, soaking in acetone just can't be healthy. I bet no one would even notice the diffence in nail appearance from the super duper gel vs regular polish.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

21 posts, read 7,285 times
Interesting topic - thanks OP for bringing it up. I've gone through periods where I did my own mani/pedis but as I've gotten older I've been relying on the professionals exclusively. I'm on a three week schedule with my technician and my hands and feet have never looked better. For me, it's not pampering - it's a matter of good grooming, and whether you do them yourself or have a technician do them, the important thing is to give them the attention they need.

After a few pleasantries with the technician and discussion about which nail color I'd like (I do SNS dip on my nails) my mind wanders to things I have to do the rest of the day and the technician concentrates on the "job at hand" and I've never felt any awkwardness in the mostly quiet time. During the pedicure, I usually read a book. For me, it just feels like maintenance on my body and not really pampering. When I've done them myself, I found that they looked pretty good because I kept up with them but the technician is able to get to areas that need attention so much better than I can so it's worth it to me to have them done by a professional.

I tip well and I'm treated well by all the staff at the salon. I always give the technician the tip personally, and it's always in cash.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

4,008 posts, read 9,599,533 times
Manicures do not work well with me because I do alot of cooking/cleaning/painting and, even with gloves, my nails just don't hold up for very long. I do adore having pretty nails, though.

I get professional manicures a few times a year (usually before a vacation) and I always get gel. I love that stuff. I also wear my nails very short and professional manicures still look amazing. I love the whole pampering experience, especially the hand massage. The manicurist I see doesn't speak much at all.

I also love press on fake nails for a night out.

I just cannot do my own nails. They never look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty