U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 9,603,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No way would I do that! First, peeling off anything from your nails would remove the surface layer, even if you don't think so. Second, soaking in acetone just can't be healthy. I bet no one would even notice the diffence in nail appearance from the super duper gel vs regular polish.
Gel polish is amazing. It really does look so much better than a regular manicure. It lasts so much longer, too. I soak cotton balls in nail polish remover and foil them to my nails for a few minutes and the gel comes right off. I haven't seen any damage to my nails, but then again, I only get gel done a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:27 PM

13,096 posts, read 7,464,082 times
I had a manicure every friday at the salon for decades when I preferred longer nails. professionally groomed nails were required because red polish, my preferred color at the time, was impossible for me to apply correctly.

Now that i'm retired, I prefer short, buffed nails and no longer have manicures at the salon. I can buff with the best of 'em.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM

12,425 posts, read 21,027,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No way would I do that! First, peeling off anything from your nails would remove the surface layer, even if you don't think so. Second, soaking in acetone just can't be healthy. I bet no one would even notice the diffence in nail appearance from the super duper gel vs regular polish.
I have genetically crap fingernails. I got them from my Dad, who got them from his Mom. They are thin and very flexible. I’ve done my nails, and in one day the tips are chipped and cracked. And since I do a lot of work with my hands, including handwashing dishes since I don’t have a dishwasher, my hands take a lot of abuse.

My hope was the gel manicure would actually be stronger than a regular manicure and that would maybe make my nails better when the manicure is on. But the reason I’ve never done it is there is no way that they can sand or buff my nails because of the thinness. If they do that, I don’t have a nail left — they can’t scrape my nails or I won’t have a nail left.

My sister has nails like mine and she tried buffing because she heard that increasing blood flow to the nail increased strength. Her nails grew cupped and thinner than ever. It was months before they were back to normal because it takes a couple months for your nails to completely grow out.

By the way, all the things that everybody suggests that you do to create thick nails? When it’s a genetic thing it just simply is. There is no amount of gelatin, biotin, creams — nothing works to make them thicker for me because I’m not deficient in anything to create bad nails. Between my sister and I, we’ve tried everything. These nails just are the way they are because of genetics. Keeping them well moisturized is about the only thing I do, because their flexibility is their strength, they don’t split, they don’t tear, they don’t break.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 01-28-2020 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 PM

2,698 posts, read 632,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
So I was having a conversation with my SO this morning about the fact that I do my own nails and have always. Actually I am embarrassed to say that I have never paid for a manicure - I keep my nails painted and it is a lot of work actually now that I am getting older none the less they are done by me. I want to know if I am the only woman out there that still does their own nails so if you dont mind please let me know what you do with your nails. Thanks Ladies !!

Some of my friends do their own nails.......to save the money.....but IMO it's a service that is kinda cheap anyways & it doubles as "destress" & relaxing time.....A N D is social time if you go with a friend...(like I do). So...I mix it up....sometimes do them myself & sometimes salon...BUT I always have them done before a big event or party. Salon pedicures tho....are my favorite!

Old 01-27-2020, 02:58 PM

6,962 posts, read 3,949,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I had a manicure every friday at the salon for decades when I preferred longer nails. professionally groomed nails were required because red polish, my preferred color at the time, was impossible for me to apply correctly.

Now that i'm retired, I prefer short, buffed nails and no longer have manicures at the salon. I can buff with the best of 'em.
Red and white polishes are the absolute worst, I think. Every color has a different chemical formula and some just don't like to lay down nice on the nail.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:07 PM

5,040 posts, read 2,164,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have genetically crap fingernails. I got them from my Dad, who got them from his Mom. They are thin and very flexible. I’ve done my nails, and in one day the tips are chipped and cracked. And since I do a lot of work with my hands, including handwashing dishes since I don’t have a dishwasher, my hands take a lot of abuse.

My hope was the gel manicure would actually be stronger than a regular manicure and that would maybe make my nails better when the manicure is on. But the reason I’ve never done it is there is no way that they can sand or buff my nails because of the thinness. If they do that, I don’t have a nail left — they can’t scrape my nails or I won’t have a nail left.

My sister has nails like mine and she tried buffing because she heard that increasing blood flow to the nail increased strength. Her nails grew copped and thinner than ever. It was months before they were back to normal because it takes a couple months for your nails to completely grow out.

By the way, all the things that everybody suggests that you do to create thick nails? When it’s a genetic thing it just simply is. There is no amount of gelatin, biotin, creams — nothing works to make them thicker for me because I’m not deficient in anything to create bad nails. Between my sister and I, we’ve tried everything. These nails just are the way they are because of genetics. Keeping them well moisturized is about the only thing I do, because their flexibility is their strength, they don’t split, they don’t tear, they don’t break.
I couldn’t agree more. My mom has the same junky nails I have. If they get too long, they bend and then split on the sides- sometimes way at the bottom (on the toenails). I can buff my fingernails, but I typically try to fiddle with them as little as possible. I haven’t found any way to strengthen them, especially since my mom and I have the same type of nails. Neither of us do our fingernails other than trimming them.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:25 PM

6,962 posts, read 3,949,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Could you share a link to the kind of nail decals you like? I saw some on Amazon but they didn't have very good reviews.
Also could you link a fave or two (or more) of the YouTube's that you liked? Thanks!!!
Sure. I've bought water decals from newone2019 on ebay. If your nails are wide you can use a matching background on the nail. Always seal in with a good top coat. Sally Hansen's Hard as Wraps will last for two or three weeks.

If you type in water decals or fingernail stickers you will find a variety of dealers and prices at ebay.

A couple of my favorite tutors on youtube are nail career education and cute polish. Some of the ideas are too intricate to do with my left hand but they can be done on a ziplock bag, peeled off and used as stickers. Surprise!

If you research nail tutorials on youtube you'll find enough designs and tips to keep you busy for as long as you want. There are many good ideas for safe techniques and typical DIY problems.

An after thought - take a look at toothpick nail art. You can create the most lovely designs using just the tip of a toothpick. For instance, drop three dots of contrasting color on the nail and drag the toothpick in a figure "S" through all three. You will make three cute heart shapes all tied together by a thin ribbon. (Practice.)

Have fun!

Old 01-27-2020, 05:49 PM

6,834 posts, read 8,276,725 times
I've never had a manicure or pedicure so do both myself. I can't stand people touching my feet so a pedicure is out. I had planned to get a manicure before my daughter's wedding, but I ran out of time so did my own.

I usually only do polish before a vacation. I'm a big fan of Sally Hansen gel polish. It works really well for me. On a recent vacation I watched another woman I was talking with peel off her gel polish. I couldn't peel off the Sally Hansen stuff if I tried. It usually lasts at least 10-12 days. It works for me.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:59 PM

17,019 posts, read 13,749,403 times
[quote=BirdieBelle;57183738
I had one pedicure in my whole life, and I hated it. Sitting on a "throne" while a woman on a little stool bent over my feet was not relaxing to me.[/QUOTE]

hahahah, that is so true!!

My feet are too far away, unfortunately I cannot do my nails myself.

Manicure - I am to cheap to spend the money. Can't do it myself either.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 PM

248 posts, read 86,768 times
I'll admit that I've never had a manicure or pedicure. I stopped polishing my fingernails at least 30 years ago and I wear my nails cut short. I do polish my toenails and do a less than professional job, but I'm just too cheap to spend the money on a pedicure. That said, I think professional pedicures do look very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty