Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:10 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No way would I do that! First, peeling off anything from your nails would remove the surface layer, even if you don't think so. Second, soaking in acetone just can't be healthy. I bet no one would even notice the diffence in nail appearance from the super duper gel vs regular polish.
I agree about the soaking in acetone - probably not the best thing. But it's not really peeling it off, if that makes sense. It basically lifts off after soaking. It doesn't take off the layer of nail if done right.

The appearance is the same as a manicure with regular polish, but it lasts so much longer. Before the advent of the gel polish, my manicure would start chipping in a day or two - even professional ones. This stuff still looks perfect after 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 07:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have genetically crap fingernails. I got them from my Dad, who got them from his Mom. They are thin and very flexible. I’ve done my nails, and in one day the tips are chipped and cracked. And since I do a lot of work with my hands, including handwashing dishes since I don’t have a dishwasher, my hands take a lot of abuse.

My hope was the gel manicure would actually be stronger than a regular manicure and that would maybe make my nails better when the manicure is on. But the reason I’ve never done it is there is no way that they can sand or buff my nails because of the thinness. If they do that, I don’t have a nail left — they can’t scrape my nails or I won’t have a nail left.

My sister has nails like mine and she tried buffing because she heard that increasing blood flow to the nail increased strength. Her nails grew copped and thinner than ever. It was months before they were back to normal because it takes a couple months for your nails to completely grow out.

By the way, all the things that everybody suggests that you do to create thick nails? When it’s a genetic thing it just simply is. There is no amount of gelatin, biotin, creams — nothing works to make them thicker for me because I’m not deficient in anything to create bad nails. Between my sister and I, we’ve tried everything. These nails just are the way they are because of genetics. Keeping them well moisturized is about the only thing I do, because their flexibility is their strength, they don’t split, they don’t tear, they don’t break.
I was lucky to be blessed with really good nails. But my MIL wasn't so lucky. She swears by Nailtiques. It's basically just a clear polish, but she says it makes her nails a lot stronger.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:25 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Anyway, I haven't done my own nails since I was in middle school. But I never get manicures, only pedicures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So your fingernails are 4 feet long and curling?

No, certainly not. I absolutely trim my fingernails and keep them neat. But I never paint my fingernails; which is the biggest part of the manicure in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I was lucky to be blessed with really good nails. But my MIL wasn't so lucky. She swears by Nailtiques. It's basically just a clear polish, but she says it makes her nails a lot stronger.
I preferred OPI Nail Envy. Nailtiques lifted and peeled the next day. It even Nail Envy was in bad shape in three days. I did a take off and repolish twice a week. It helped my nails a little, but it was such a pain to do for such a little improvement then I gave up.

What works the best is seriously moisturizing my hands and paying good attention to my nails when I do it. I found a handcream called JR Watkins. It comes in different scents and it’s very rich. I make sure that I rub it in well and then really rub it into my nails. Other than that I use regular handcream, and then Barielle nail cream. It’s like my hands just drink in the moisture and my nails like doubly so.

Beware the Lemon scented Watkins. At first application it’s little Lemon Pledge-y, but when it dries down it smells sweet and lemony, and then I want cake.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:28 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Do it yourself manicure or paid? Ladies only please-home-manicure-lg.jpg

Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I do my nails, I generally do them myself. A professional manicurist does a better job, frankly, but I find the process weird. Sitting in a salon while a stranger holds your hand and you have to make awkward small talk is not my idea of a great time. Doing it myself, I can sit at home and watch TV and try not to touch anything.
My wife does hers on her own. She has the little dremel thing and everything. She said her break even on all the stuff was basically two manicures. I also got the idea that she didn't enjoy the process like she does a pedicure. She said that buying some better equipment makes them close the quality she got at the salon, and since she can do it herself should they deteriorate, she doesn't get frustrated if it doesn't last as long as she'd like (that was a complaint on her end, dealing with chips shortly after paying.)

Old 01-28-2020, 11:56 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My wife does hers on her own. She has the little dremel thing and everything. She said her break even on all the stuff was basically two manicures. I also got the idea that she didn't enjoy the process like she does a pedicure. She said that buying some better equipment makes them close the quality she got at the salon, and since she can do it herself should they deteriorate, she doesn't get frustrated if it doesn't last as long as she'd like (that was a complaint on her end, dealing with chips shortly after paying.)
For me it's not the quality of the equipment, but the simple fact that I'm not ambidextrous. LOL

Old 01-28-2020, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 10,775 times
I do my nails at home. I use gel nail polish with an LED light. The LED lamp cost $25 and the polishes cost anywhere from $5 to $15. A gel polish manicure near me (with tip) costs $50!

The beautiful thing about gel nail polish is, before you put it under the LED lamp to cure, you can wipe it off with regular old rubbing alcohol. That means I can easily wipe off any smudge or smear and get the polish just right before sticking my hand under the lamp. Each coat (base, color and top) takes exactly 30 seconds to cure, but I usually cure the top/last coat for 90 seconds just to make sure it is rock hard and ready to go. Gel manis usually last me about a month. Best part of doing it at home is, if after a couple of weeks the topcoat gets scratched up from gardening and such, I can do a quick topcoat, and in 90 seconds my nails look like I just walked out of a salon.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 10,775 times
Quote:
. . . . But the reason I’ve never done it is there is no way that they can sand or buff my nails because of the thinness. If they do that, I don’t have a nail left — they can’t scrape my nails or I won’t have a nail left.
I have very similar nails. One of the reasons I don’t go to nail salons is that they use powerful electric nail tools. I think the reason they are so aggressive is that they want to make sure they don’t have any complaints. For a gel manicure, all they really need to do is lightly go over the entire surface of your nails with a very light grit nail file. Maybe you could call your salon and see if they might do this for you. If not, maybe you could try to do a gel mani at home. I do my gel manis at home, and I use the #1 side of a 3- or 4-sided nail buffer to lightly do this. My manis last for a month.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:26 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
I preferred OPI Nail Envy. Nailtiques lifted and peeled the next day. It even Nail Envy was in bad shape in three days. I did a take off and repolish twice a week. It helped my nails a little, but it was such a pain to do for such a little improvement then I gave up.

What works the best is seriously moisturizing my hands and paying good attention to my nails when I do it. I found a handcream called JR Watkins. It comes in different scents and it’s very rich. I make sure that I rub it in well and then really rub it into my nails. Other than that I use regular handcream, and then Barielle nail cream. It’s like my hands just drink in the moisture and my nails like doubly so.

Beware the Lemon scented Watkins. At first application it’s little Lemon Pledge-y, but when it dries down it smells sweet and lemony, and then I want cake.
Try Sally Hansen Hard as Nails either clear or natural.
Really good protection without the color so you won't notice any chipping.

https://www.sallyhansen.com/en-us/na.../hard-as-nails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty