U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 12:12 AM

11 posts, read 1,281 times

Advertisements

I've only started doing my nails at home myself and got myself a UV LED lamp off Amazon about two months ago as well. I'm currently learning how to do polygel nails as well and my last set lasted a decent amount of time as well 2 weeks+ I don't think it's embarrassing to say you do your nails yourself cause at the end of the day you're going to be the one saving money in the long term anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 12:16 PM

65 posts, read 9,881 times
I have had one professional manicure in my entire life. It was the day on my wedding. I do not wear nail polish at all and instead keep my nails neatly trimmed to the tips of my fingers and buff them lightly once every couple of weeks. I do, however, pay a lot of attention to my feet because I have a tendency to develop painful cracked heels. I use Flexitol at night to keep them smooth.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 02-07-2020 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,459,216 times
"Doing" my nails consists of clipping them once a week or every other week. I rarely paint them. I've paid for a mani/pedi once and it was for a french mani/pedi because I can't do those myself.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,519,027 times
I am a trained Nail Tech & I stopped doing my own nails when I started wearing Prescription glasses. I go every 3 weeks & get gel manicure. $30 inc. the tip. Well worth the pampering & my nails look beautiful.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

11,282 posts, read 13,976,449 times
I have never paid for a manicure, and I do not plan to!

I had a bad experience when I was in girl scouts back in the 80s, lol... We took a field trip to a salon to get our nails done and hair styled. Well this lady jumps right in and starts scraping off my cuticles as I sit there frozen in silent shock! I was 8 years old and absolutely horrified! I had no idea what she was doing or why, and it was painful.

I keep up my nails myself and to this day, I leave my cuticles alone!

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

15,235 posts, read 11,276,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I have never paid for a manicure, and I do not plan to!

I had a bad experience when I was in girl scouts back in the 80s, lol... We took a field trip to a salon to get our nails done and hair styled. Well this lady jumps right in and starts scraping off my cuticles as I sit there frozen in silent shock! I was 8 years old and absolutely horrified! I had no idea what she was doing or why, and it was painful.

I keep up my nails myself and to this day, I leave my cuticles alone!
I've never liked that, either. I remember getting little manicure sets when I was young, and they always included the little orangewood stick to push back your cuticles. My mom always told me that it was not good for them and to leave them alone. Of course, I ignored her then, but now I do leave them alone. I don't like that "tucked-in" look anyway. I don't care about my "crescents" showing more, or making my nail beds appear longer.

And cutting them?! I don't get that at ALL!

Anyway, doing it just doesn't feel right, physically or mentally, to me, and they're there for a reason, to prevent infection, so I see no reason to mess with them.

(BTW, I'm not trying to put it down or talk anyone out of doing it. If you like to, go for it! )

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

13,961 posts, read 14,362,100 times
Just got a gel manicure for a conference. I would never be able to do it myself between my severe ADD and my unsteady hand and the dogs and cats constantly underfoot. I go to a manicurist.

1) I can afford it. 2) It looks way better than I could ever do. 3) it keeps me from biting my nails and destroying my cuticles. 4) I have situations now where I am expected to meet with local clients and I don't want to look like a stray sasquatch.

I'm 43. I'm only now worried about nail care and starting to have what I call "The beauty budget" - manicure, quarterly haircut, eyebrows. One day I may add massages and pedicures to that. Damned if I know.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,867,655 times
I get gel or “shellac” every two-three weeks. Love the way they look. It’s taken me years to get used to color on my nails, I have kinda short stubby fingers. I can’t do it myself, too unsteady and far-sighted.

I never let them “manicure” them, as they use their little nippers and cut the cuticles all off. It leaves my fingernails looking ragged after a day or two.

Don’t care for the nail salon Pedi either, that cheese grater thing freaks me out and nauseates me. So when I need color on my toes I just have them painted, not pedi’d.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

7,064 posts, read 3,992,462 times
My first manicure I was shocked when she trimmed my cuticles. They were in good health.

My mother had told me to never cut them. The only time I trim them is if I have a hangnail. And that rarely happens if I keep them well cared for.

Old Today, 08:44 PM

4,545 posts, read 7,804,717 times
I’ve had acrylic nails for about 25 years now. There’s no way I could put even just polish on as well as the pros do. I get a pedicure about every 6 weeks during sandal season and about every 10 weeks in the winter, although sometimes I just let the polish wear off on its own then.

I’ve been going to the same shop for about 10 years. I love the owners. They moved their shop and I moved too and I’m 16 miles away now and am still going to them (I used to be a half mile away). I’m retired and go on Monday mornings and run all my other errands at the same time. I tip well and give them a generous Christmas bonus too.

I enjoy my “me” time and get many compliments on my nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty