U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:08 AM

10,082 posts, read 17,746,899 times

Advertisements

I am not sure of the point of the thread since you obviously made up your mind before you posted. Put me in the "No" column as well. I find nothing stylish about flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:14 AM

8,526 posts, read 3,102,564 times
Regarding wearing socks with sneakers...they have footies (sorry...can't think of a better name for them...pulling a blank) that you can wear with sneakers, and they barely show, if they show at all.

I've got no problem with flip flops, in a casual environment...but to me, sneakers are better for say...going to the zoo, or someplace where you'll do a fair amount of walking.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

190 posts, read 273,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
No, I'm an average sized guy and I like appropriately sized sneakers. I just meant that I'm a big fan of sneakers in general. I have many different pairs of sneakers and I'm always looking to acquire more.

I agree with you about flip flops being unhealthy for feet if worn too much. They offer no support.
I used to think the same thing about flip flops, but my wife got me a pair of Oofos, and I spent the majority of last summer in them and they provide great support. My wife and I both run and Oofos are marketed as running recovery footwear and we wear them as often as possible. I even have a pair of Oofos slides for winter when walking around the house (I wear socks with them). I used to have chronic plantar fascitiis but not any longer. Part of that may be due to losing some weight, but I think part of it is also due to the Oofos.

https://www.oofos.com/collections/men/data-type-thong

Last edited by DaIceman; Today at 08:25 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old Today, 08:32 AM

22,209 posts, read 23,800,077 times
Other than pool/beach, I'm not a fan of flip-flops on men. I think there are nicer looking options (tevas, keens or chacos) for open toed casual shoes. On the other hand, if you like the look and are comfortable then have at it. I will put out a request that if men are wearing open shoes, invest in the occasional pedicure. No one wants to see nasty looking feet.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

11,914 posts, read 5,573,099 times
I see nothing wrong with wearing a good quality flip flop with shorts. Boat shoes or a sneaker like Vans that you would wear without socks would be fine also. I'm in Florida, flips flops are everywhere.

Just make sure your feet are well groomed.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

1,628 posts, read 746,035 times
I would only wear flip flops at the beach or pool and wouldn’t want to do much walking in them.

People mentioned going to restaurants and stuff. If you’re going anywhere more formal than a casual restaurant, I would recommend wearing kakis or slacks.

Flip flops have gotten more accepted to wear as a casual shoe, but they’re bad for your feet.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

24,685 posts, read 15,896,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a guy that usually wears sneakers with my shorts in the summer. But having worn sneakers with my shorts for year, I can't help but feel goofy in them because wearing socks and sneakers looks and feels weird to me, especially when it's blazing hot out in the middle of July. Whenever I see guys and girls in flip flops, I feel they look so much better because what they're wearing what most appropriately matches the weather.

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think it's better for men like me to start wearing flip flops with shorts instead of sneakers?
Wear short socks with your shoes in warm weather. Flip flops are stylish only around the pool. If you must wear them in public, make sure your feet are in good condition. This might mean getting a pedi.

And, this is my opinion.

Old Today, 11:03 AM

23,203 posts, read 25,080,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's due to the heat and the stress of walking too much. I don't have the problem in the winter; only in the summer because it's hot out and I'm walking so much.
You sound like you've already decided that flip-flops are great and you're going to wear them, but when you say you're going to be walking a lot, you'd really be better off in a more supportive sneaker or sandal.

Old Today, 11:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 969,129 times
Sperry boat shoes. No socks..

Old Today, 12:08 PM

12,118 posts, read 8,658,355 times
When you have good looking feet, like myself :-), you can rock the flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or